VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was just thinking, i got to change the oil on my 020 and i want to get rid of the old stuff inside the tranny. can i flush the tranny ? what can i use to flush it with ?

·
Registered
955 Posts
Re: flushing the tranny ? (hotshotz16v)

It is best to just do a simple drain and refill. The best thing is to get the transmission hot by doing a nice drive. When you return home from your drive immediately crawl under the car and drain the fluid while it's still hot. Personally I'd let it drain for a few hours or over night.
Refill with your favorite flavor of lube and it's done.

·
Banned
3,582 Posts
Re: flushing the tranny ? (FowVay)

i was just about to post this exact same thing - first time I've ever been into the transmission forum aswell - spooky.
Anyway, it would seem to make sense to me that a flush would get everything out that a straight drain wouldnt, but my mechanic (and the only response here) suggested not to, and to do a straight drain instead.
Is there a rationale for why a flush is not necessary?
Dan

·
Registered
7,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: flushing the tranny ? (DanielAdams)

thanks for the tip !!
i drove the car for a while, gathering parts and whatnots came back and drained the old fluid. it let it drip for a good 2 hours put the plug back on and voila !!
now my speed don't work. but that's another thread.

·
Banned
14,893 Posts
Re: flushing the tranny ? (hotshotz16v)

The best way to flush it is to drain and re-fill then do it again a week later, but it's not necessary.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Re: flushing the tranny ? (DanielAdams)

Quote, originally posted by DanielAdams »

Is there a rationale for why a flush is not necessary?
Dan

1) excessive pressure can damage seals and 2) there is a strong magnet inside the case to collect any metallic (ferrous) particles, and a flush has no chance of getting those particles out

·
Banned
3,582 Posts
Re: flushing the tranny ? (sccaITA16V)

Quote, originally posted by sccaITA16V »

1) excessive pressure can damage seals and 2) there is a strong magnet inside the case to collect any metallic (ferrous) particles, and a flush has no chance of getting those particles out

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif thanks for the info. I had heard conflicting arguments about whether the latter was true (in the form of arguments over fitting a magnet in the drain plug was of any use).
Cheers
Dan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts