VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 185 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, my name is Jamie, and I'm going on a stupid 4,000 mile trip to buy a car, and then drive it 2,700 Km across Europe in 3 days, and ship it back to the USA. Plus Nurburgring.

It's time for another Car Challange :heart: After the fun of the Rescue Harlequin Challenge, I'm going to try to document this in the same way.. The main differences are that:

• The car's in Madrid, Spain
  • I haven't bought the car yet, and I might not actually be able to get the seller to agree to sell to me
  • I'm keeping the car a secret until I'm there in person, with the cash ready to buy it
  • NURBURGRING

Basically, I've been sort of kinda searching for one of these 25+ year old cars for a couple of years. This one had popped up for sale a while back, but was out of my price range. Then the seller dropped the price, twice.

I don't speak much (any..?) Spanish, so a friend's been trying to help, and he's describing the seller as 'a bit creepy', and that he might not be into the idea of a foreigner buying the car. But, never one to actually have common sense, I'm going to fly to Europe on Monday, and try to buy the car in person on Tuesday morning. That's Tuesday 1st August, 2017, which is when the road trip will begin.

Of course just buying the car, and legally being able to drive it out of the country is step one, but the challenge gets a bit crazier from there. Here's the planned schedule..

Aug 1 Tuesday - Buy car, fix car, drive car.

Aug 2 Wednesday - Drive across all of France, and into Germany.

Aug 3 Thursday - Drive across Germany, and collect the 16v VW Fox that I shipped there from the USA in May for the Worthersee Treffen. Then drive to Holland.

Aug 4 Friday - the MIVW car show starts, and I'll visit junkyards during the day

Aug 5 Saturday - MIVW show in Holland

Aug 6 Sunday - NURBURGRING! I have an invite from VW to attend the GT / TCR race at the GP circuit, and.. The nordschleife will be open also, so it'd be rude to not try a couple of laps...

Aug 7 Monday - Drive to the VW Factory in Emden, and export the Challenge Car.

Here's the video introduction:

So to recap, that's 72 hours to drive most of the way across Europe, including buying the car, and doing whatever it needs to make it. The car itself has super low mileage, and has probably spent most of it's life under 40mph, which could be great, or terrible that I'm then going to max it out crossing Europe and around a 12.9 mile long race track. :laugh:

Here's my USA registered VW Fox that I shipped to Europe in May for the Worthersee event in Austria, that I want to drive on the 'Ring. It's currently stored in the basement of an old warehouse in Germany..

Hopefully the Polizei are still friendly..!

:heart:

·
Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast!
21 RS6 Avant 10 A6 Avant 04 Isuzu Ascender 02 Chevy 2500 88 16v Scirocco
10,595 Posts
Im in for this!

Good luck!!

·
Registered
1990 VW Corrado, 2002 Audi allroad, 2017 VW eGolf
7,489 Posts
YES! I love these! I'm looking forward to what transpires. :cool:

·
Registered
21,825 Posts
I've wanted to so something like this for a while. For now, I'll live vicariously through you.

·
Registered
561 Posts
The last one seemed like an awesome idea. This some seems a bit more scary. All the legal paperwork and language barrier seems like a big hurdle.

Either way, good luck! I'll keep my eye on this thread!

X...

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
As a car enthusiast, I'm looking forward to updates from your trip. As a Fox owner (in the middle of a major parts refresh right now too) I'm STOKED that you're taking your Fox to the 'Ring.:thumbup:

·
Registered
6,193 Posts
The last one seemed like an awesome idea. This some seems a bit more scary. All the legal paperwork and language barrier seems like a big hurdle.

Either way, good luck! I'll keep my eye on this thread!

X...
The upside is that Jamie imports cars for a living, so he knows what he's doing.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
You are freakin' awseome. Definitely in for hearing about this trip as well!

Hopefully you are fully rested from your last little excursion. :) Good luck with this one as well!

Joe C.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Ja Ja Ja

In for what sounds like a great adventure - Bon Voyage, Gute Reise!!!

·
Premium Member
19,124 Posts
Jamie, I love you.

Certificate of Conformity. You already know this, but I can't remind you enough. Spain is a freaking nightmare with this kind of paperwork. Everyone I know who has tried to extricate vehicles from Spain (coworkers in Germany) has had to make two or three trips due to stupid Spanish paperwork issues. You may have to go to the local DMV (or whatever it's called) to get the right papers to take ownership.

If you can get the guy to agree to act as the exporting owner with you as agent..... Otherwise, you may be stuck in Spain for a week trying to move papers around.

·
Registered
22,290 Posts
I've wanted to so something like this for a while. For now, I'll live vicariously through you.
And here I thought you just wanted to get one of your projects in your mom's driveway running. :p Ahhhh, memories.... :laugh:

In for this.

1 - 20 of 185 Posts