VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone have the measurement for the step to the surface on an 020 210mm flywheel?

I did a clutch and had the flywheel resurfaced. When I got it all together, I had no gears with the motor running. I did all the tests and its seemed to work but what I read, if the clutch is not fully disengaging, there will be no synchronization.

Surface to the step (that sits on the pressure plate):
My resurfaced fly wheel: 22.6mm =====> this one gave me no gears just grinding
My new flywheel: 23.4mm
My original flywheel with wear: 23.6mm

I figure what might have been happening is the low tolerances would not allow it to completely release the disc. I did notice the clutch release arm was at 9 o'clock , but it was sitting higher than usual. Has to take up a lot of cable to get it to the release area, which may mean it was compressing the pressure plate already just by torquing the bolts.

I won't know till tomorrow when she all together, if my theory is correct.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
"which may mean it was compressing the pressure plate already just by torquing the bolts."
is exactly what should happen. The clutch pushrod counters that force allowing the disengagement.

I just happened to cursorily measure my two flywheels 027105273 & 027105273D today.
The measured ax. 23.5mm means they are the standard 15/16" which is as precise as the specs get.
That equals 23.8mm.

22.6mm = 0.375mm over 7/8" which is the alternate step flywheel available.
NAPA used to sell those, and they are out.

If a shop resurfaced the flywheel as such, their fault. Minimum safe thickness of the flywheel face may not allow cutting 1.2mm more.

As far as the release arm hanging down a bit low, if all parts were installed correctly, I bet you are right on your theory.

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for checking. The 23.4 Flywheel worked perfectly. In my frustration, I ground through all the gears in anger. So fearing the worst, my freshly rebuilt AGB was torn apart to check for gear damage. Fortunately the gears are very tough with no gear damage but I had to do a small reseal since I tore it apart again.

22.6mm = 0.375mm over 7/8" which is the alternate step flywheel available.
NAPA used to sell those, and they are out.
Does this mean there are applications for a 22.Xmm step? 2 Different tolerances for 2 different clutches?

If a shop resurfaced the flywheel as such, their fault. Minimum safe thickness of the flywheel face may not allow cutting 1.2mm more.
I assume you are saying that the flywheel ground to 22.6mm was actually too far gone to grind it the aditional 1.2mm (to 23.Xmm)?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=NCF88209_0317162592

NCF 88209 (out of stock fortunately)
Product Line: NAPA Clutch and Flywheel

Part Number: NCF 88209
Product Line: NAPA Clutch and Flywheel
Attributes:
# Flywheel Teeth : 125
# Flywheel to Pressure Plate Mounting Holes : 9
Flywheel O.D. : 8-1/4"
Flywheel Step : -7/8"

Applications - various Scirocco, Cabriolet, Golf 1984-1992 8v 16v

Napa had it, either the spec above is wrong or some very angry shops resulted.

I don't know the minimum allowable thickness of the flywheel face. Others have them lightened by machining off material, from the outside diameter though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.