VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to upgrade here right away, and i've noticed the Forge kit is 800$ is, and APR's kit is around 1000$. Has anybody just got a cheap Ebay intercooler and piped it in themselves? One of my good friends who has a 470whp VR6 Gti said that is what he did and has had no problems at all. I just wanted to hear some feedback, as it is definetly up to 70% cheaper. thanks:beer:

·
Registered
9,319 Posts
I am looking to upgrade here right away, and i've noticed the Forge kit is 800$ is, and APR's kit is around 1000$. Has anybody just got a cheap Ebay intercooler and piped it in themselves? One of my good friends who has a 470whp VR6 Gti said that is what he did and has had no problems at all. I just wanted to hear some feedback, as it is definetly up to 70% cheaper. thanks:beer:
If you want something cheap and have no intentions on going beyond a factory turbo, get the S3 intercooler.

Dave

·
Registered
127 Posts
If you want something cheap and have no intentions on going beyond a factory turbo, get the S3 intercooler.

Dave
Agreed, I would go with the OEM S3 FMIC. And if you do decide to upgrade to the K04, it is designed for it (S3 FMIC). I want to say they are $250.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah I was actually just looking at them on ECS, for my FSI they're about 550$. and yeah, I dont think i'll be swappin snails. I'll probably be looking at a new car next spring so i'll just make do for now. I imagine the s3 intercooler would be a fairly easy install for a newb like myself?

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
yeah I was actually just looking at them on ECS, for my FSI they're about 550$. and yeah, I dont think i'll be swappin snails. I'll probably be looking at a new car next spring so i'll just make do for now. I imagine the s3 intercooler would be a fairly easy install for a newb like myself?
you can get them cheaper than the $550 from ECS. Instructions are the same as the APR unit and that is on their site.

·
Registered
9,319 Posts
You don't necessarily need the OEM hoses. If you remove the connectors on the ends, the factory hoses will work just fine. The core itself is in the $250-300 range.

Dave

·
Registered
9,319 Posts
I was wondering about this, because I have the S3 intercooler in my car. Assuming by your response, the S3 intercooler isn't sufficient for a BT setup?
Pretty much.

The S3 intercooler is still a standard tube & fin intercooler, except slightly deeper than stock. The only major change is the addition of aluminum endtanks which do absolutely nothing for performance. In fact, newer PN "S3" intercoolers come with plastic endtanks which is why most people still use the older S3 IC PN.

The core is not as efficient as a quality bar and plate intercooler. At the end of the day, the core is all that matters.

Dave

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I'm currently in the works of installing a precision core with some custom piping, i'll post some pics of the install. :thumbup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.