VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys i need some major help here.......Im lookin to buy soon and these are the cars that i have narrowed it down to.... Focus SVT, Mazda Protege ES or the P5? Which should i buy!?!
In need of serious help....
Zuk 2 Zoom

· Registered
824 Posts
Re: Focus SVT, Protege ES or P5.....? (Zuk 2 Zoom)

It would help if you list your criteria: performance? practicality? reliability? cost? do you have a family? is it a daily driver? do you drive mostly highways or city streets? are you financing or leasing or buying with cash?

· Registered
14,315 Posts
Re: Focus SVT, Protege ES or P5.....? (CDNGolfer)

Cost no issue: SVT Focus (the 5 door)
Cost an issue: Protege 5
You can often get good deals on both, so ultimately the price difference should be similar. The SVT obviously has a good chunk more hp, and is more performance oriented, while the P5 would be more practical, and less expensive to maintain (and probably be more reliable).
Either way, go drive them all and answer the question yourself instead of listening to opinions here!

· Registered
'20 Telluride, '22 Santa Fe PHEV, '07 Airstream
9,489 Posts

If you don't care about reliabilty or depreciation, the Focus would be my pick. The Protege depreciates a bit slower (but it's still not a Civic), but is likely to be more reliable - but it lacks the ride/handling balance of the Focus.
Shop around if you do buy a SVT - leftover 2002s were going CHEAP, and I'd bet the same thing will happen this year. And if you buy one with the European Appearance package (black Recaros!), keep it nice for me to buy in 4-5 years for $7000....

Tom

· Registered
7,990 Posts

Focus SVT should be pretty reliable, specially now since most of the bugs have been worked out and MANY of the recalls have been performed. If that wasn't enough, SVT is better looking and will outhandle many of its competition. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thaks guys. i am trying to stay under 18,000 im gonna be puttin about 4,000 down so price is a bit of a concern. As for performance, i have owned a Suzuki Samurai for 8 years so....power isnt in my blood yet...haha. Mods...hmm possibly not as soon as i drive off the lot but one day. This is gonna be a car that i keep for a good while so...reliability is a plus! I have test drove both mazdas and i was pleased the Ford, i havent YET. Why must things be soo difficult!?!

· Premium Member
'21 Tacoma TRD-Offroad – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
42,115 Posts

I have a P5 and LOVE it but if I could have bought a 5-door SVT Focus as the time, for the same money, I would have in a heartbeat.
If I totaled the P5 tomorrow, there would be a red 5-door SVT Focus in my garage by Monday.
Currently, unless your SVT dealer has a lot of extra cars, the P5 will be substantially cheaper and will offer more cargo space, a long history (CR) of 100% Japanese-designed and built reliability, and 80%+ of the performance.

· Registered
10,991 Posts
Re: (Zuk 2 Zoom)

Dude Get the SVT! I had to go rent a van today and I stopped in the showroom. They had this beautiful Silver SVT focus. It looked so nice http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif I sat in it and the interior was to my liking. Plus I'm pretty sure it had an MP3 head unit, that was pretty nifty. I like the fact it's a six speed tranny, I like that it handles like a champ, and I also like how it's not going to break the bank. Do like the other dude said wait for the leftover SVT's if you can. They will go significantly down in price after a year or two. That's good for you! But if you have to buy now I would still go with the SVT. It's the only FWD car I'd drive
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.