VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I got some new front fog lights for my '91 Golf GL for Christmas and have run into an issue with trying to get them to work correctly. The set of lights that I got for my car was from ECS Tuning https://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_II--8v/Lighting/Fog_Lights/ES7282/ . After mounting the brackets and lights on the front of the car, I followed this guide to wire them up through the fuse box http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4245214-Foglights-Foglights-Foglights&highlight=foglights . I have verified that I have wired everything correctly through the fusebox, down to each of the fog lights, and into the housings for the lights. The issue that I have is when the bulb and bulb holder are connected into the system, the circuit shorts itself and the lights do not turn on. I've included a couple pictures of the bulb in the bulb holder and I'm hoping someone will be able to help me figure out how to make them work. I'm thinking that bulbs aren't getting grounded correctly but I'm not sure how to exactly correct that problem. If there's any additional pictures or details that are needed, please let me know :)

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Best piece of advice I have for you is don't run those ECS fire traps on your car. I bought a set and they caught on fire in a few minutes of use. And I not the only one that has had that issue. They are extremely cheap, crappy ones made in China.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Best piece of advice I have for you is don't run those ECS fire traps on your car. I bought a set and they caught on fire in a few minutes of use. And I not the only one that has had that issue. They are extremely cheap, crappy ones made in China.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have a set I got off ebay that i've been running for 2 years. I put led bulbs in them though so they never really get hot at all. I can't se the pics you posted so I can't be of much help wiring them. I don't know if it's my end or yours that the pics don't show up. It has to be something wired wrong. Not really any other way around it.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
My apologies with the pictures haha here's an album with the pics http://imgur.com/a/yw54D

I was thinking about upgrading the bulbs to LEDs anyways and it sounds like that would be a very good thing to do lol
so it's just pics of the bulbs? Doesn't really help much in figuring out where it's wired wrong. Check to make sure the fuse is good. Test power to them with the switch on and make sure where you grounded them is good.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so it's just pics of the bulbs? Doesn't really help much in figuring out where it's wired wrong. Check to make sure the fuse is good. Test power to them with the switch on and make sure where you grounded them is good.
I have checked the power and ground all the way from the fuse box to the inside the caps for fog lamps. But I'll check the fuse and take some pics of what I have wired up tomorrow and post them as its currently 9 degrees outside haha

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I have checked the power and ground all the way from the fuse box to the inside the caps for fog lamps. But I'll check the fuse and take some pics of what I have wired up tomorrow and post them as its currently 9 degrees outside haha
If you have power and good ground it should work. It is about as simple a system as there is. Are you sure the bulbs are good and in the holders properly?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I finally got the lights working yesterday! Turns out the grounding wires in each of the caps on the rear of the fog lamp housing weren't wired well and the switch that I had wired in had some incorrect connections on it. I replaced both of the grounding wires with some thicker wire and new connectors and connected all the correct wires to the switch. Now I just have to glue the front lens that fell off the fog lamp back onto the housing after I dropped it yesterday while trying to finish this install :banghead: Mr.Nobody was right, these fog are of the crappiest quality and had I known that I wouldn't have got them lol I'm definitely going to try to find some LED bulb to replace the ones that came with the lights as to avoid any sort of fire hazards.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
55W bulbs will melt the stock Chinese fogs.

When these aftermarket lights were 1st made available, they were shipping with 20W bulbs and even those melted and caught fire.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4586958-mk3-fog-lights-on-mk2
That's why I switched to led. I've had mine for at least 2 years ran nothing but the led bulbs and there is no distortion or anything on the lights. They look like the day I bought them. I'm not saying they aren't very low quality but I've had no problems.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I pulled the other lens off of the other fog light last night and scrapped all the old silicone off of both of them. I was planning to get to clear silicone adhesive to put them back together with. Where did you get your LED bulbs for your fog lamps from?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.