VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installing fog lights is Easy!
Buy you fog lights from eBay, the dealer, or a fellow vortexer who was hit from behind. I got mine on eBay for $29 plus $15 shipping,

got Osram H1 silver star bulbs on eBay too ($28 for 2, same as Sylvania silverstars, but no blue paint cover = more light).

Finally, get a switch from a late model 1995, or 1996-1997 model ($25 for me).

So after spending $97 (you could do it for less with cheaper bulbs, but these are BRIGHT!) I think I’m ready to install these:
(1) Remove your dummy lenses. Do this by pushing them toward the middle of the car and pulling outward. Bummer, they’re old, cracked, and don’t light up =(
(2) The orange plug connected to the dummy lenses is only connected to hold it in place, remove it and make sure it’s clean inside.

(3) If you bought these fog lights on eBay, then you also got new turn signals. They don’t fit the old plugs just right (two wires, not three like the originals), but you can get the old bulb holders into the new lenses them if you work at it (I did this because my old lenses were cracked, the new ones were not the perfect fit, but they are pretty good, no complaints). Now could be the time to remove the old ones and replace them.
(4) Check that your fog lights and new, smaller, dummy lenses will fit properly. Some adjustments might be needed to be them to fit flush, but be careful, the metal is brittle and breaks easily.
(5) Remove the bulbs from the package. Do not touch the glass section with your hands, the grease/oils will shorten their life significantly. Attach the positive wire to the bulb. Attach the negative wire to the metal part of the lens assembly. Insert bulb.

(6) Reattach the black assembly cover. Plug it in to the orange plug

(7) Screw the fog light into place (screws are not included, get them at the hardware store, about 5mm). This is not necessary but it’s probably worth the comfort of preserving your $50 investment (bulbs, shipping, assembly, time, etc).
(8) pushing the fog cover toward the middle of the car, insert the new middle dummy lens.

(9) Check to see that the light comes on (your headlights need to be on, and the keys need to be inserted and turned to the on position, otherwise the fog lights, like your headlights will turn off and only the parking lights remain on).

I was shocked how much light these provide! I have stock headlights with low end Sylvania bulbs in them, the fogs are much brighter!
Here are some comparison pics against my friend’s garage door, though they do not do the fog lights justice:
(a) Low Beams ONLY----------------------------------(b) Low beams and Fogs

(c) High Beams----------------------------------------(d) High Beams and Fogs

(e) ONLY FOGS

Abe

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Re: Fog Light Installation DIY - easy! (Shikaroka)

I believe the headlight switch he has, has the parking light feature; which mine doesn't
......And when you make the jumper cable it lets your fogs turn on with the parking lights.

·
Registered
7,515 Posts
Re: Fog Light Installation DIY - easy! (Armani)

Yeh, I believe his switch is the difference.
Mine doesn't have the parking light position.
I have jumpered mine so that I can have the fog lights on with the highbeams, but I can't turn on my fog lights without the headlights being on.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Fog Light Installation DIY - easy! (Armani)

EDIT
Oops, I didn't read all the posts!
As for the highbeams staying on, I'm not sure why they do that already, but I've not jumpered it yet.
I was planning on using the jumpers A2B4guy wrote about to keep my low beams on with my brights
I'm curious if I'll be able to get the fogs to come on with the parking lights alone, that would be great! I'll try the jumpers tonight and report my results, but I've got to got to work in 40 minutes so it'll have to wait for a while.
Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll try to find out more soon!
Abe
----------end edit-----------
Well, I thought there would be a way to turn on the fog light ONLY but there is NOT!
My switch has four settings,
off
parking lights
Headlights
Headlights and fogs
I can't pull the switch out to turn on the fogs while the switch is in the parking light position!
The way I took a pic of just the fog lights was by pulling out and turning it towards the parking light position very carefully . . . if you do it just right and hold it out the fogs stay on but the headlights turn off . . . but this is just while I hold it in a certain position. You can probably do this with the 1996 and 1997 switches, just slowly turn it towards "off" while holding it out and at just the right position you'll get fogs and no headlights. But as soon as you let go it will turn to off (or in my case, parking lights).
I looked for a long time to get this specific late 1995 switch so I'd be able to have just parking and fog lights on without headlights, but it turns out to be basically the same as the later two position switches, can't have just fogs

Oh well, still really digging my fog lights!
Abe

Modified by jbrams at 10:54 AM 4-26-2004

·
Registered
12,072 Posts
Re: Fog Light Installation DIY - easy! (jbrams)

if you're willing, the euro switch of course has the front and rear fog pulls, as well the parking light pull for fogs, of course its a 'tad' more expensive, lol...cough cough...GB http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
7,636 Posts

So, does this finally put to rest the question of whether non-fog-equipped cars are pre-wired for fogs? Summarize if you will what needs to be done. I'm guessing- install lights, install fog-capable switch, install fog relay or jumper in relay plate?

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Fog Light Installation DIY - easy! (A2B4guy)

I can only say that my car, an early 1995 passat glx, came with all the necessary wiring to install fog lights. All I needed to install were the switch, the lenses, and the bulbs. I didn't need to install any jumper or relay at all.
I'll be adding a jumper wire in mine tonight as you described A2B4guy (too get the fogs to come on with the parking lights I hope!
) (PS - thanks for that mod!).
I'll let you know the results.
Abe

·
Registered
7,515 Posts

Quote, originally posted by jbrams »
II'll be adding a jumper wire in mine tonight as you described A2B4guy (too get the fogs to come on with the parking lights I hope!
) (PS - thanks for that mod!).
I'll let you know the results.
Abe

I don't think the jumper will let you turn on your fogs with your running lights. That seems to be a physical limitation with the switch.
One of the jumper wires keeps your low beams on with your high beams, and the other jumper wire keeps your fog lights on with your high beams.
By the looks of your pictures, you already have the ability to have your fog lights on with your high beams.
One of these days, I plan on tearing apart a headlight switch and seeing if I can modify it so that I can turn on my fogs without the headlights being on.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Fog Light Installation DIY - easy! (Shikaroka)

Quote, originally posted by Shikaroka »
I don't think the jumper will let you turn on your fogs with your running lights. That seems to be a physical limitation with the switch.
One of the jumper wires keeps your low beams on with your high beams, and the other jumper wire keeps your fog lights on with your high beams.

That is the jumper that I still need to apply.
Quote »
By the looks of your pictures, you already have the ability to have your fog lights on with your high beams.

Unbeknownst to me, there was already a copper sheet jumper in the replay board! I wonder how it got there, the previous owner sure was not into mods and it didn't come with ecodes or any aftermarket stuff really.

Quote »
One of these days, I plan on tearing apart a headlight switch and seeing if I can modify it so that I can turn on my fogs without the headlights being on.

You and me both!
Thanks,
Abe

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: (popdemonic)

I'm not sure what you're asking . . . the fog lights say Hella on them, but they are made by VW Shanghai I believe, not same quality as the german made originals, but they work fine.
Could you clarify your question, I might be able to give a better answer.
Abe

·
Registered
7,515 Posts

Quote, originally posted by jbrams »

Unbeknownst to me, there was already a copper sheet jumper in the replay board! I wonder how it got there, the previous owner sure was not into mods and it didn't come with ecodes or any aftermarket stuff really.

Yeh, I've seen those copper jumpers. Maybe the cars without factory fogs came with those.
Since you have one of them jumppered already, you should only need to make one jumper wire, to make your lows stay on with your highs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.