VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a MK6 GLI and I was thinking of upgrading my stock halogen H8 fog lights to LED or HID.

My question is are they any VW issues I would have to look out for after installing them, like errors, flickering or warning lights. I drive a MK6 GLI.

I was thinking HID because my oem headlights are HID.

If I decided to go HID would I need a relay harness? Being that there just for fog lights and not headlights.

Years ago I put HID's in my Honda and used a relay harness because I was using them for headlights which is very important and keeps them reliable.

In the past I've also read that some people don't put any relay harness at all.

Anybody have any experience with HID's in there fog lights on modern VW's?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don't thins you'll need relay harness for the fog lights as they are single function headlight. What would be better is to check if there is any bi-xenon or bi-led fog lights for your car. With such and installing relay harness they can work as high beams too.

·
Vendor
23,078 Posts
HID in fogs are not the best idea - the spacing is limited and the HID take more time to light-up vs the LED quick on. In many situations you want the fogs to quickly ignite.

In fogs - go with a bright LED model that will be better. We have fogs that will be brighter than most HID - smaller compact design and no issues.

No relay harness is required with our HID in low beams.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.