VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got done doing a front end conversion and noticed what looked like dirt inside my light housing today after a few nites of driving. upon looking at it closer, i noticed the housing had been melted (melt?) they are flat black painted depo e-codes and the angle of the foglight hits right on the plastic and it must be too hot cause it has caused a little bubble in the plastic. its not that noticeable and luckily i am installed hella macro DE's, but i am just wondering if anyone else has had this problem? the correct bulbs are installed... but its like the lens is a magnifying glass and its melting the housing like an ant under a magnifying glass on a hot summers day! ahhhh!!!!!

· Banned
6,511 Posts
Re: Foglights melting the housing on GTI lights!!! (photoman)

what wattage bulb is in them? I wouldnt trust anything over 55w in them. Thats what I run in mine and havent had problems yet.
I http://****************.com/smile/emlove.gif my DEPOS

· Registered
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
12v, 55watt... what they should be. i dont get it. i love them too tho.. i put the silverstar bulbs in for the highs and u can see sooooo far down the road!

Modified by photoman at 6:15 PM 11-25-2006

· Registered
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: (ricas_gti)

Quote, originally posted by ricas_gti »
Do you always drive with your fogs on?

yes. i always do. the lows dont cover much of the road or sides of the road. we have so many deer up here that i need all the light i can get to see the sides. once i install the macros i wont use them.
they also dont have the lines in the fogs like hellas do, they are just clean rounded projectors

Modified by photoman at 6:18 PM 11-25-2006

· Registered
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what do u think about putting 35 watt bulbs in?? i found them for sale but they are 24 volts... usually they are 55 watts, but i dont wanna damage the housing anymore.

· Registered
9,891 Posts
Re: Foglights melting the housing on GTI lights!!! (photoman)

Isn't the Depo the brand that had melting problems? It was so long ago I can't remeber who it was. But there was a brand of eCodes the issues w/ their fogs.

· Registered
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Foglights melting the housing on GTI lights!!! (dragon813gt)

Quote, originally posted by dragon813gt »
Isn't the Depo the brand that had melting problems? It was so long ago I can't remeber who it was. But there was a brand of eCodes the issues w/ their fogs.

thats not what i wanna hear, haha!! i wouldnt have even thought to check that or even know where.. ugh

· Registered
31,074 Posts
Re: Foglights melting the housing on GTI lights!!! (dragon813gt)

Quote, originally posted by dragon813gt »

Dragon is right. Depo has had a history of their fogs melting ****. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

· Registered
14,151 Posts
Re: Foglights melting the housing on GTI lights!!! (bluebora20v)

I recall hearing others say that they bought new aftermarket lights that came with a warning not to use the fog lights. Anyway, a 35watt bulb might be a safe option.

· Registered
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ugh! i would never assume this with lights made to do this. there were no instructions or anything in the box nor ANYTHING on the outside of the box. how can a company make something and then tell u not to use it? makes no sense. i cant find 35 watt in 12volt tho, only 24 volt

· Registered
9,891 Posts
Re: (photoman)

There's a reason for that. Back in the day DEPO was a synonym for ****. I guess this has quietly been forgotten over the years. If you search through the archives I'm sure you'll find A LOT of threads about the fogs melting. As far as I know DEPO doesn't sell direct to the public and they have no need for a website of their own.

· Registered
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i looked thru the archives for DEPO, melting, foglights melt... etc... nothing came up tho this specific. The rest of the housing and setup is a better quality than hellas. The back housing is much sturdier and a more flexible plastic. and i thought i was doing well not buying some cheap knockoff angle eye pieces of crap

· Registered
9,891 Posts
Re: (photoman)

Did I really just read that they're "higher quality" then Hella? Sorry I got a good laugh out of that one

Unfortunately there is nothing you're going to be able to do. Not sure how you bought them but you can try retuning them to the store you bought them from. If this isn't the case then you're stuck

· Registered
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: (dragon813gt)

i had hellas, the GLI style ones and they had a hard, brittle backing plastic which broke very easily in a small fender bender. the tabs snapped very easily and the back tabs to hold on the covers also broke. they also didnt seal well. the backs of these depo's seal a lot better and are made with thicker, more flexible plastic.
I have the hella micros, i just have to install them. i guess i posted this to see if anyone else had FIRSTHAND experience with this problem, not just more vortex urban legends. i wanna pull them apart to put paint on the melted spots, but its not worth it.
so, i guess i will start another thread so other users who search for this can actually find it instead of having a lot of people think they heard something awhile back.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.