VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drove a V6 today. Handling was superb, albeit the steering was not as sharp as some BMW racks. Very impressed with the interior appointments, even on the base model I saw. The Audi influence is very clear. Interior was a little cramped but even the faux wood looked tasteful.
BIG gripe though- rear seat folding process takes 3 steps:
1)pull strap to lift up on seat bottom cushion
2)pull lever to tilt down seat back
3)magically hold seat back tilted with you 3rd hand while removing the headrests so seat will clear the seat bottom cushion.
This is totally unacceptable. The headrests cannot come off entirely unless the seat back is tilted or they will not clear the headliner. There is no way my 100lb wife can perform this task alone. I cannot understand the lack of engineering put into this part of the design. This and the ridiculous 5500lb curb weight may be the deal-breakers for me.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Re: Fold-down seat process (eclou)

It is a surprise that they couldn't make a simpler design. My 1995 Explorer had a latch and the seat would fold flat.

·
Registered
90 Posts

I agree on this one...one thing that I found from playing with it @ the dealer. And it's no just a matter of pull the strap...it needs to pop up a bit so it'll open all the way. The salesman and I took a while to get both seats down. I still haven't driven it...so far that's all what I don't like about it...oh one more it doesn't have the ambient light like in my Passat. Oh well...everything else looks great. I hope to take it for a test drive when my dealer gets more than one on the floor.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Re: Fold-down seat process (Swingkat420)

more or less the way folding seats work on most of the vw line up.. tilt seat forward first.. take headrest off.. return back to original position.. pull handle, lift bottom seat.. fold back down.. voila!!
might as well leave center headrest out.. makes rear visibility better..

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Re: Fold-down seat process (tori645)

Astonishing that they have the same complex process for folding down the seats in a car twice the size of a GTI.
EZ

·
Registered
2,730 Posts

Quote, originally posted by eclou »
but even the faux wood looked tasteful.

hello? do you not know what real wood looks like?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Fold-down seat process (brent0226)

Quote, originally posted by brent0226 »

hello? do you not know what real wood looks like?

I don't even know what real butter tastes like anymore.....

·
Registered
12,151 Posts
Re: Fold-down seat process (brent0226)

funny, i have never heard of people bitching about this in their GTI, Jetta, Golf, Jetta Wagon or Beetle, the Passat is only car you dont have to remove the headrests.
its no big deal, we had a lady not buy a Touareg because of this very reason, how many times will you ever need the seats folded all the way down to not buy the car, i think its rather silly, for the one time a month MOST people will need to fold down the seats all the way, it doesnt justify not buying the truck.
We have seen one problem though with the little plastic humps located under the outside two headrests. these humps are there to prevent child safety seat straps from cutting in to the leather which is a great idea, but when you remove the head rest and fold them down, if you dont do it slowly ,it will break this little plastic hump which has happened to our T-reg at our dealership, if you go slow then there isnt an issue, but if you fling the thing down quick it hits the bottom side of the seat bottom .
one could remove these humps very easy because they are only held in by 2 normal phillips head screws.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts