VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted about my 92 VR6 Corrado with oil temps getting up to 236-240, on a regular basis, and really didn't matter what the outside temp was. I purchased a Hayden universal oil cooler kit for $75 12"x7 1/2" coil. Removed the stock oil cooler/water heater thing on the front of the motor. With that installed the oil temps stay between, 210 and 220, and the high end when sitting in traffic, but cools down a bit once moving again. The water temp is staying right at 185 degress F and it also goes up when in traffic but goes back down once going again. I am using mostly distilled water mixed with DEXCOOL, with one of those things that checks to see what the freezing and boiling point of the coolant is, mine is at -10 degrees F to 255 degrees F. Thanks to all that replied, this is JFI. BTW I have the same oil cooler setup on my 91 Jetta VR6T, been on for about 2 1/2 years, I put that on when I put the car together, so I do not know if it would have been running high oil temps without it. The oil cooler kit is Hayden part # 459 can be picked up off the shelf from PeP Boys or ordered through Advance Auto parts, and even Auto Zone.

· Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
TTT

· Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, maybe so, but my other VR's do not get that hot even the one with the turbo. The oil cooler really made difference. Seems like th faster the car goes the cooler the oil and water get. 94 degress yesterday and at 65-70 mph, oil at 206-208 water at 175-180.

· Registered
34,572 Posts
Re: (fredhogarth)

The Corrado rad is smaller then the Mk3 unit and the airflow path isn't as large either. Much tighter under the hood also, therefore the Corrados run a good amount hotter then a smilar prepped Mk3 car.
There is no other difference in block/head cooling that I am aware of.
In addition I've had VERY good luck with Dexcool based coolants in many different cars. All the problems related to that coolant has been in engines that were ran low on coolant and deteriorated from there.

· Registered
11,962 Posts
Re: (need_a_VR6)

humm and i thought mine was high
city around 190-200 and highway 220-230

· Registered
2,279 Posts
Re: (quickhuh)

Our engines runs hot, compared to other engine ... it's becuase of the Vee configuration at 15 degrees... in most Vee engines (v6. v8, etc) there is alot of space between the banks, and they're able to cool off a little easier... with the VR6 being all in one block, the heat isn't able to dissapate very easily.
220ish is actually a nuber I've seen published for VR6 operating heat range... I did a 160 degree thermo and fan swtich... 90% of the time my temps are like 185, during the winter they'd be more around 160ish unless I had been driving for like 45 min - 1 hour. While racing and after talking with people who race, 280, 300, and 320's are normal... getting much higher than that is when things get dangerous.
I had a coolant leak in mine a while back and wasn't aware of it until on a 45 minute drive home... I watched as the temps crept up towards 380. It wasn't until about 360 when the car actually started running bad. After hitting 380 and then stopping and trying to cool things off, it wouldn't keep any water. Got the head off... headgasket was still intact ... nothing else had gone wrong, except the head had warped. Block, pistons, rings, etc were all fine!
These engines can take alot of heat!
One thing I would be concerned about, with having only one of the engines running hotter than the others, it seems to me like putting an oil cooler on wouldn't fix the problem, only cover it by lowering temps by another means... and that there still may be a problem with how something is operating...
I guess I kind of see it like ... my car feels like it's down on power... I'll get cams to bring it back up to par...
glynn

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.