VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally got a set of interior led kit for my mkv jetta. I installed and everything seems nice. I also installed Cree reverse lights. They work beautifully. However, the footwell and reverse lights, every time I start my car, they flash back and forth 6-8 times really fast, and resume normal operation. Is this normal? Why is it doing this, the bulbs have resistor built into them. I purchased all bulbs from deautokey. It there anyway to prevent them from flashing with the LEDs?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2013 Audi S5, 1967 Ford Mustang
1,704 Posts
It is a cold start diagnostic to check for bulb out errors. I do not believe that there is a way to disable the diagnostic on any lights other then the tail lights, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
763 Posts
You can disable all cold diagnostics with a Vag-Com

·
Registered
763 Posts
Correct. There is actuly a bunch of cold diagnostics fields that I noticed. Is there any downside to doing so? Do the diagnostics check anything else that we would want them on for?
I have all of mine off. All cold diag does is when the vehicle is first turned on, it sends out voltage spike to test for any bulbs that might be out so it can turn the indicator light on in the dash. Turning it off will disable this voltage spike, so the car won't know if a light is out until you go to use that light. I disabled mine because I have LED tail lights, side markers, city lights, and interior lights.

·
Vendor
23,312 Posts
So I finally got a set of interior led kit for my mkv jetta. I installed and everything seems nice. I also installed Cree reverse lights. They work beautifully. However, the footwell and reverse lights, every time I start my car, they flash back and forth 6-8 times really fast, and resume normal operation. Is this normal? Why is it doing this, the bulbs have resistor built into them. I purchased all bulbs from deautokey. It there anyway to prevent them from flashing with the LEDs?

Thanks in advance!
I have all of mine off. All cold diag does is when the vehicle is first turned on, it sends out voltage spike to test for any bulbs that might be out so it can turn the indicator light on in the dash. Turning it off will disable this voltage spike, so the car won't know if a light is out until you go to use that light. I disabled mine because I have LED tail lights, side markers, city lights, and interior lights.
This is correct - with LEDs it is suggested you always turn off cold diagnostics to avoid any issues with your LEDs, more info on how to shut it off:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...s-vCDS-coding-changed&p=81668713#post81668713

We mention it under our DIY/LED 101 section:
http://deautokey.com/led-diy-faq-customer-reviews

:thumbup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.