VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive got a 1.8 16v w/5spd out of a scirocco(a2)about to be dropped in my 1.8 8v 1981 bunny. the front brakes were converted to the gti discs and the motor/trans came with the 16v's axles. will the 16v axles fit up to my disc brakes? if not..what is needed? scirocco front discs.? thanx

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
Re: for all you 16v swap buffs. (A1pocketrocket)

You've got three options..
1. To run 100mm axles,you will need to check and see if the outer cv will clear on the spindle. Try putting the axle thru the spindle and see if the outer cv binds(the axle won't spin)If so,you can clearance the spindle with a grinder,or find a set of 'rocco/'85 up cabriolet spindles
2. Convert the trans to 90mm drive flanges.
3. Cobble an axle together with a 100mm inner cv,and a 90mm outer cv.(I don't really recommend this,but it will work)

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
Re: for all you 16v swap buffs. (vr6swap)

FWIW, I'm running 100mm inners and 90mm outers and have not had a problem in 12000 miles (knock on wood). Includes some track time, dyno runs, etc. I would prefer to have 100mm outers just to be "correct" but until I start blowing joints or have other issues its a low priority.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.