VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 349 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Re: Speedometer Error - GTI (doughboy914)

I am actually sparring with VW on this issue right now. They basically say their error percentage is 10%. My speedo is off 3mph at 60mph, 8% at 80mph, 11% at 100mph, and 15% at 115mph. So as you can see it's way over their -we wont fix it unless it's over 10%- claim. They want me to go to a different service department than the one I went to first to get a second opinion. They said if the second dealer can't re-create the over 10% problem there is nothing VW can do for me.
I wouldn't mind so much if it was like -5mph for every speed I travel, but the constant fluctuation in accuracy is a PITA.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Re: Speedometer Error - GTI (JT_GTI)

I agree, it is a PITA.
Quote, originally posted by JT_GTI »
I am actually sparring with VW on this issue right now. They basically say their error percentage is 10%. My speedo is off 3mph at 60mph, 8% at 80mph, 11% at 100mph, and 15% at 115mph. So as you can see it's way over their -we wont fix it unless it's over 10%- claim. They want me to go to a different service department than the one I went to first to get a second opinion. They said if the second dealer can't re-create the over 10% problem there is nothing VW can do for me.
I wouldn't mind so much if it was like -5mph for every speed I travel, but the constant fluctuation in accuracy is a PITA.

Problem is that to see the big differences you would have to go 100 mph - and the dealer won't be able to duplicate that. The answer they are giving is more like a b.s. answer than recognizing a design error. This is a software issue that could be fixed easily by vw if they care'd to.
did you try contacting vw via the vw.com comment section?

·
Registered
19,712 Posts

I don't think any dealership is going to take a customers car over 80mph to see this error. I'd be surprised if they did.
But, yeah, I understand your frusteration.

·
Registered
705 Posts

You're seriously concerned that it's off by 3mph at 60???
So what you're saying is that while you're within the legal limit (which i'm sure you realize you're not supposed to exceed.
) It's off by maybe 4-5mph (I'm guessing that's about how far off it'd be at 75.)
At normal driving around town speeds where you need it to be accurate; you know when you're within that good ol' limit I was talking about before. It's off by what? less than 5%?
Sounds just fine to me. What's funny is how cars have been like this for years. But because someone brought it up as an issue with the new GTI it's become this huge problem.
Cheers!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Re: Speedometer Error - GTI (thread)

Quote, originally posted by thread »

I don't think any dealership is going to take a customers car over 80mph to see this error. I'd be surprised if they did.
But, yeah, I understand your frusteration.

If I remember correctly the reason it reads higher is due to the fact in Germany if you buy bigger wheels and the speedo reads below whats it's actually doing you basically can sue VW over it.
I wonder if 19inchers would correct this abit.
I think someone said the 18inch ones correct it by 1-2 %..

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Re: Speedometer Error - GTI (Racer-XR32)

I understand the logic of the german law and speedo thing...
Quote, originally posted by Racer-XR32 »

If I remember correctly the reason it reads higher is due to the fact in Germany if you buy bigger wheels and the speedo reads below whats it's actually doing you basically can sue VW over it.
I wonder if 19inchers would correct this abit.
I think someone said the 18inch ones correct it by 1-2 %..

But, this car is made for the USA, we get orange sidemarkers so why not an accurate speedo?
It is kinda like a swiss watch maker sending the USA watches that read exponentially faster as the day goes on so that you aren't late for dinner.

·
Registered
312 Posts

OP if you want to gauge your speed without a GPS then just have someone in a Ford tail you and when you hit 60 ask them what they've got.
Most Fords are only off by 1-2%
I should know.
Driving my VW or Honda I was safe...but just alittle over in a Ford will bring the cops down on you.
I did this with a Civic.
GTI 42mph
Civic 40mph

·
Registered
313 Posts
The percentage off is BS. I was told by my dealer that VW knows about it and are trying to find a fix for it. My car is way off. 75mph on the speedo is more like 62-63mph in the real world for me. Of course....maybe VW has the only speedos that are actually right and everyone elses is off. Kinda Twilightzoney...LOL.

·
Registered
278 Posts

Went out with the GPS unit this weekend and noted that an indicated 70mph is actually 65mph and an indicated 80 mph is actually 74.4 mph.
Just need to live with it....

·
Registered
1,274 Posts

Most Fords are only off by 1-2%
I should know.
Driving my VW or Honda I was safe...but just alittle over in a Ford will bring the cops down on you.

I don't know...the Hondas I used to sell all averaged 3-5mph high at 65mph and the Ford and Mercurys my fiancee's family drive are all 5-7 slow at 65mph. (gotta love radar signs)
I'm not sure how the GTI speedo error has become such a big deal, since, from my observations, while on the higher side of average, they're not THAT much worse than anybody else, and still better than some.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Re: Speedometer Error - GTI (Woj)

Quote, originally posted by Woj »
Went out with the GPS unit this weekend and noted that an indicated 70mph is actually 65mph and an indicated 80 mph is actually 74.4 mph.
Just need to live with it....

Can't GPS be off abit as well since your having to transmit into space and back again?
From what I understand most speedo's are off by at least 1% if not more.
To me it's not much of a big deal.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Re: Speedometer Error - GTI (martensvwguy)

Quote, originally posted by martensvwguy »

I don't know...the Hondas I used to sell all averaged 3-5mph high at 65mph and the Ford and Mercurys my fiancee's family drive are all 5-7 slow at 65mph. (gotta love radar signs)
I'm not sure how the GTI speedo error has become such a big deal, since, from my observations, while on the higher side of average, they're not THAT much worse than anybody else, and still better than some.

I agree. I drive around 80mph in my GTI on the interstate and I didn't notice any difference in traffic flow.
I don't think 3-4mph is much of a difference.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

For me, it's just annoying to buy a new car and have to live with something so obviously inaccurate. I wonder if VW would come up with a fix sooner if someone hit it with a Lemon Law/Consumer Fraud class action. I think the speedo issue certainly affects both safety and re-sale value.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Re: Speedometer Error - GTI (Smartass)

Quote, originally posted by Smartass »
You're seriously concerned that it's off by 3mph at 60???

No, I am concerned that when I choose to drive my car fast (on the track, on a long stretch of road out in the middle of nowhere, etc) that I can't depend on my speedo being an accurate instrument. This is my 6th VW, and it's by far the worst speedo I have had yet. The interstate speed limits are 75 here in AZ which I have to drive alot. I started noticing people passing me when I was doing 80 like they had never done before. That's when I pulled out the old GPS (the one that pegged my A4 within 1% constantly) and that's where I started seeing the trouble.
The real issue I guess is, it bothers me. Plain and simple. I paid a lot of money for this car. The speedmeter should be more accurate than 10% no matter what speed I drive.

·
Registered
274 Posts

Can't GPS be off abit as well since your having to transmit into space and back again?

You aren't transmitting anything with a GPS. Just reading position off a number of fixed markers in the sky. Same principle as triangulation.

1 - 20 of 349 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.