VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
281 - 300 of 349 Posts

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
I think the only thing I believe at this point is that VW may well have used the 160mph calibrations for the 180mph dial. The 180mph dial annoys the bajeesus out of me because it's simply not necessary. Why not just put 1000mph on there to be cool?

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
I just merged three speedometer threads into one. It's largely the same folks airing complaints in all three, anyway. This will now serve as the "official speedometer thread," so to speak.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
My spedo is fine o_0. If you guys want to talk about how bad the spedo error is and how you could have purchased another vehicle like a Honda or Mini, so be it. I'll be over here enjoying my car. Now, I didn't go get a satellite reading or anything like that, but I was on the highway with my friend in a Ford Explorer, and we were going 70. I called him up "How fast are we going?"... He said "uhh, 70", "Exatly?", "Yeah". I have never worried about the spedo after that moment.

·
Banned
24 Posts
Re: (TURBO PAUL)

Quote, originally posted by TURBO PAUL »

And no, I could care less if you want to complain,

is anyone EVER going to say this right???
it is "i couldnt care less"
if you could care less, that means you care.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Re: (Ear Candy)

Quote, originally posted by Ear Candy »

I could care less about what you just said! :p
I really do care, honestly. I mean, what does "I could care less" mean besides that one is a somewhat caring individual? Where did that come from anyways, I've always said "I couldn't care less" even though I almost never use that phrase.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Re: (martensvwguy)

Quote, originally posted by martensvwguy »

Although...if speedo "innacuracy" is the worst complaint folks can find about the new GTI, I think VW is doing a pretty good job of putting out a quality product. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Finally, some common sense!!!!
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
This thread is sooo spent . . . .

·
Registered
27 Posts
Re: (Whafrodamus)

YOUR speedo may be fine, many of the rest of us aren't fine. the woman called me up this morning complaining - she drove past a radar sign at an indicated 40MPH and the sign reported back 27MPH! She was alone on the road too. Now I'm having a REAL hard time believing it's THAT far off at low speeds but know at 80MPH indicated it's really below 75MPH so something sure isn't right.
I've got a Jetta TDI on order that will have 17s vs her 16s (Jetta TDI also) so we'll see if tire package makes the difference or not. If the dealer tells her this is "normal" she's going to hit the roof. I checked my SEVEN year old Miata agani today - it's within 1-2MPH. And VW cannot do the same on a brand new car?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Re: (Ear Candy)

Quote, originally posted by Ear Candy »

As one grammar nazi to another, thank you for pointing this out. However, you left out a capital letter and an apostrophe, so your comment should read:
"I couldn' t care less"
We now return you to our regularly scheduled thread . . . . .

·
Banned
24 Posts
Re: (davis_grad)

Quote, originally posted by davis_grad »

As one grammar nazi to another, thank you for pointing this out. However, you left out a capital letter and an apostrophe, so your comment should read:
"I couldn' t care less"
We now return you to our regularly scheduled thread . . . . .

for you sir!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Re: (tehassinpassat)

Oh yes that's it - my girlfriend is full of it. I'll run right out and tell her, sorry but that's laughable as she's neither stupid nor some twitty 20something kid. It IS possible the sign is off and it is also 100% certain that the speedo is *not* right. How far it is from right is the question and so far we've only tested it at highway speeds since when she first complained it was because she would be doing 75MPH indicated and was getting passed left and right. When checked we found that at 80 indicated it was reading below 75MPH so duh it's NOT right. You cannot argue that. How far off it is at slower speeds is the question and I'm sure when she saw that sign and no one around her she noted her speed intentionally as she approached - she said as much and called me right after. However 27MPH is turtle slow so I'm having a hard time believing it's *that* far off. I'll check it with the GPS at my first opportunity this weekend and we'll see. Anyone know how to bring up the MPH reading on the NAV if you've not got Package #2 on a Jetta? I *should* also have VAG-COM on my doorstep when I get home so I'll check it with that too if I can figure it out. If the ECU knows the correct speed and the speedo is off it's either defective or VW is putting crap speedos in the car. There's no excuse not to have it within say 2-5MPH, every other vehicle we own is better than that.
Quote SAE specs all day long but there's no excuse for other cars to be significantly more accurate even after tire replacements.
If when my car with optional wheels arrives and is more accurate that will explain much. That would point to either a defect or laziness - we'll see. I'm personally hoping defect so that it can be FIXED!
The sad thing is that she noticed this with no prompting and isn't exactly a car oriented person. For that to occur it has to be noticably off...

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
Re: (BLKMGK)

Quote, originally posted by BLKMGK »
YOUR speedo may be fine, many of the rest of us aren't fine. the woman called me up this morning complaining - she drove past a radar sign at an indicated 40MPH and the sign reported back 27MPH! She was alone on the road too. Now I'm having a REAL hard time believing it's THAT far off at low speeds but know at 80MPH indicated it's really below 75MPH so something sure isn't right.
I've got a Jetta TDI on order that will have 17s vs her 16s (Jetta TDI also) so we'll see if tire package makes the difference or not. If the dealer tells her this is "normal" she's going to hit the roof. I checked my SEVEN year old Miata agani today - it's within 1-2MPH. And VW cannot do the same on a brand new car?

Unless those things are taking photos of license plates and are spitting out tickets, I wouldn't count on them to be all that accurate.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Re: (BRM10984)

Quote, originally posted by BRM10984 »

Unless those things are taking photos of license plates and are spitting out tickets, I wouldn't count on them to be all that accurate.

Nor would I and I *did* allow that I think 27MPH is a bit low. However my higher speed tests were done with a GPS and demonstrated an error I find unacceptable for a car with less than 2K miles on it. I will also point out that at least one person in these threads *has* been using one of those signs to support his argument that all cars are off and that VW isn't abnormal. So far as I'm concerned GPS trumps all so long as it's not a fast transient and I'll test ASAP. Oh and Ross Tech got me my VAG-COM cable here today so I'll be able to use it to monitor the ECU's idea of MPH too I hope. It'll be interesting to see how the dealer handles this if we find the error unacceptable - if it's anything like some of the folks here the woman will be breathing fire at them for sure.

·
Registered
42,789 Posts

I can pretty much tell you how the dealer will handle it, and I'm sure you won't like it.

Skip the dealer. Go right to VW if you are concerned about it. The dealer is just going to look at you like you're from Mars. Or, if you're lucky, they'll drive the car on the road and the playcate you with the "problem not duplicated" line.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts

BLKMGK-
Take a look at some of the posts I made earlier regarding the legal standards to which speedometers are calibrated. (SAE J1226 in the US). It sounds like you're finding roughly 7-8mph error at an indicated 80mph using the GPS. While I understand your frustration, you're not likely to get anywhere, either with a dealer or with VWoA, since that is well within legal limits for speedometer error. It sounds like "acceptable" limits to you are significantly tighter than what the SAE considers acceptable. With that being the case, I might suggest writing a letter to your congressman/senator indicating your displeasure with the legal standards, rather than attempting to deal directly with VW.
Also, remember that these speedometers also must meet the EU regulations that indicate the speedometer must STILL read higher than true, even if the car is fitted with the largest wheel/tire package that will fit under the fenders. BMW, Mercedes, Audi and VW are all known to consistently read higher than brands that don't sell their cars in the EU, and I'm certain that is the primary reason for the innacuracy.
Now, to the other part...I don't suggest telling your girlfriend she's an idiot, for obvious reasons (
), but, as has been stated several times in this thread, the radar signs are notoriously innacurate, so I wouldn't take that to be too reliable information. The radar sign I used for some of my non-scientific testing was actually pretty accurate when checked against GPS, which is why I even bothered referencing what I'd noticed using it.
Finally, what you all need to remember is that the speedometer error is almost certainly going to show a linear increase as the velocities move higher. If you're getting 2-3mph error at 30, you're going to find 4-6 at 60, 6-9 at 90, etc, etc.

Modified by martensvwguy at 11:20 AM 5-27-2006

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Re: (martensvwguy)

Quote, originally posted by martensvwguy »
BLKMGK-
Also, remember that these speedometers also must meet the EU regulations that indicate the speedometer must STILL read higher than true, even if the car is fitted with the largest wheel/tire package that will fit under the fenders. BMW, Mercedes, Audi and VW are all known to consistently read higher than brands that don't sell their cars in the EU, and I'm certain that is the primary reason for the innacuracy.

As an aside, does anyone know how cars from other manufacturers like the Acura TSX (European Accord), and Honda Civic that are also sold in the EU, compare with cars like the American Accord, that aren't? The American Focus has diverged from the Euro Focus (actually, it's the other way around), but since the American Focus used to be sold in the EU, is it, too, affected?
Technically, the Camry is sold in the EU as well, but in such small numbers that it is almost not worth it, and I suspect it is probably easier for Toyota to mod the Euro cars. Cadillac is also selling cars in Europe, but again it is primarily an American car with the European market as an afterthought. Nevertheless, these would be interesting comparisons.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Quote »

TT-06-19
2005 – 2006 A5 Jetta and A5 GTI, Speedometer Display

If you receive a customer complaint that the speedometer displays a vehicle speed that is slightly faster than the actual speed, this is normal. The speedometer is operating per manufacturer specifications. Volkswagen does not manufacture vehicles where speedometers read slower than actual speed. To allow for possible differences in overall tire diameter with different tire manufacturers and wheel sizes, a factor is designed into the speedometer function that increases the displayed speed. This factor does not affect odometer readings, which show actual distance traveled. Do NOT replace ANY parts for this condition.

I guess VW has been getting alot of complaints

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Re: For all you complaining about your speedos being inacurate (McMerc)

Well common sense tells me I'd rather be going slower than I'm seeing rather than faster than I'm seeing and get a ticket. I do not know why you guys scream bloody murder, even when VW offers a logical explaination and tells you in a politically correct way to go hump yourself.

281 - 300 of 349 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.