VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
12,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Of the E100 Corolla. This has to be the most dependable vehicle built outside the Hilux and same year/gen Camry. No exaggeration, I see three or four of these a day. And that is crazy considering I’m the NE. And outside of a few hooptie version, they are all mostly in decent shape. I can’t think of any other make, even Honda, that I see 25-30 year old examples of on a daily basis.

Having owned a 93 Corolla DX, I don’t remember it being that spectacular. It wasn’t even the most reliable for me. I recall having gone through a couple of washer fluid reservoirs that kept cracking and a starter in under 40K. I wasn’t even that nice to it as I’d burn across the TX desert for hours at triple- digit speeds (no tach but I can only imagine what that thing was turning with a 3AT!) But when I run that VIN, it kept ticking for another 15 years and 220k when the records came to a stop.

Truly impressed.

Yesterday:

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Proportionally they're good looking cars, too. While I've only ridden in one once and it was not memorable, I've always appreciated them. They do seem to be "bomb proof," as well.

Reactions: Lifelong Obsession

·
Registered
10,205 Posts
Its pretty amazing how some cars just continue to populate the roads for decades where as there are several recent models that have almost entirely faded from existence. Every once in a while I'll see something like a Kizashi or last gen Eclipse that I forget were ever made.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Its pretty amazing how some cars just continue to populate the roads for decades where as there are several recent models that have almost entirely faded from existence. Every once in a while I'll see something like a Kizashi or last gen Eclipse that I forget were ever made.

This generation Malibu came to mind today for me. I had realized that these have all but completely disappeared.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Back when I was in elementary school the neighbor had that gen Camry and a Celica. IIRC both had well over 200K on the clock.

·
Registered
12,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Proportionally they're good looking cars, too. While I've only ridden in one once and it was not memorable, I've always appreciated them. They do seem to be "bomb proof," as well.
Of all the things I read in auto magazines or new car guides, I recall the 1993 issue saying this was a baby Lexus. And I think the Geo stablemate was better looking.

This generation Malibu came to mind today for me. I had realized that these have all but completely disappeared.
And the next gen Malibu/Aura/G6. They’ve all disappeared which is mind boggling given the production numbers on fleet sales.

·
You can't look at my avatar for just a second, can
6,371 Posts
My mom's 2000 Corolla was a great car. My only complaints are they tend to rust in salt country and the cars is better suited for people under 5'8". I drove it many miles but after 15 to 20 minutes it started to be painful.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts

"June 1961 to introduce Total Quality Control (TQC) for the managing of the company's business as a whole, using QC-like techniques.

Subsequently, the QC Promotion Group was set up in 1964, with Executive Vice President Eiji taking up the post of Chief Officer, and Managing Director Shoichiro and Managing Director Hanji Umehara the post of Deputy Chief Officers. Under this organization TQC was promoted company-wide, and the Deming Application Prize was awarded on October 11, 1965"

·
Registered
34,384 Posts
Bland for sure, but they last.

·
Registered
BMW M3, Mazda CX-5, Ford E350, motorcycles
2,089 Posts
If I were a weed smoking man and some one said the word "car", this is the vehicle that would come to mind.

·
Registered
7,635 Posts
These things along with the 6th gen Accord hit the perfect blend of blandness and longetivity.

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
I agree they are good looking , and so familiar

In some countries people have started restoring them

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Most everything Toyota produced in that generation is still kicking around, as mentioned rust is the biggest killer of them around here but even then I still regularly see early to mid 90’s Toyota’s driving around.

·
Registered
88 Cabby, 91 Jetta TDI, 15 GSW TDI, 19 Tiguan
24,049 Posts
I agree - see them everywhere here in NH despite how much rust occurs here.

I saw a Dodge Intrepid on the road the other day for the first time in forever.

·
Registered
602 Posts
No exaggeration 50%+ of the vehicles in Afghanistan are Corolla's despite the ****ty roads, snow and elevation changes. Try to guess how many Corolla's you spot:

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
And the [late '00s] Malibu/Aura/G6. They’ve all disappeared which is mind boggling given the production numbers on fleet sales.
I still see plenty of the '08-'12 Malibu here in Providence. Not too many of its Pontiac and Saturn counterparts, though. Maybe the Malibu appeared to older people who took better care of their cars. Cobalts are going extinct quickly, and I can't remember the last time I saw a G5.

But nothing lasts as long as these Corollas!

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Reminds me of my buddy in high school. He had a mid 80's Corolla that would not die, it was hand me down transportation, not a cool car. Parents said he could get something else when the wheels fell off. Cue Dukes of Hazard music.... he jumped it, ran it off road, etc. Most importantly, never ever once changed the oil. He drove it almost 5 yrs before moving for school. Sold it for $200 to someone that did change the oil. Still saw it driving around years later.

·
Registered
2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
22,399 Posts
RE: Corolla's in Afghanistan, note most those cars have been imported used from the United States and are easily spotted by their NA-spec amber reflectors. As for old cars in general, the Bay Area is full of 20-30-40 year old asian cars. Honestly one of the most common cars on the roads STILL is the 1990's 4Runner however there are a ton of old Corollas as well.

·
Registered
29,361 Posts
Probably the end of the bomb-proof Corolla line is the previous gen Corolla L that was still available with a traditional 4sp automatic.
The non-CVT autobox was still available for 2014 (and IIRC 2015 and 2016).

1 - 20 of 34 Posts