VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, Guys
Give us your overall impressions of the R32 so far. I assume you either have one or drive one. The car has been out for a while. Lots of feedback out there.
Do you think that the VW approach to the AWD (Haldex) was a good one? Are you basically enthusiastic about the finished product, or not.
Do you think that the car is worth the 30K, or not. Just curious. No long winded answer is necessary, unless you chose to give one of course.
I am interested in what you think.
Regarding the stock wheels and tires, I know Ian doesn't like them as he feels theyare too heavy, but I willtrade the performance loss for the look of the wheels. I like them a lot.
However, with respect to the tires, Ian has some great tires on his 98 VR6 that he loves. Ian tell us more about them and would you recommend a similar tire for the R32? The stock tires are currently the best (according to VWvortex tech peeps, anyway.
And Ian, when are you going to get an R32??

Modified by vso at 4:43 PM 2-16-2004

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Re: For Daemon Et. Al.....what are your overall impressions of the R32 now (vso)

I like it. it rocks. It needs MORE power. Well.. More wouldnt hurt it, but its got ALOT to start with, but hey, more is always better right? The stock suspension is squishier than I would like. I'm getting the euro setup. The gas milage is decent! The cloth seats rock. The exhaust note rocks. Lots of people love it too., the blue color is fantastic. Havent seen red yet though.

·
Registered
18,552 Posts
Re: For Daemon Et. Al.....what are your overall impressions of the R32 now (vso)

Hopefully I'll get the call tomorrow. There were no R32s in Colorado at all until Saturday late.
The tires I run on my GTI-VR6 are Falken Azenis Sports.
http://www.discounttiredirect....ALHZ5
They're cheap ($67-77/each on the 15" stock wheels.. ) and stick to the pavement like glue
(frequently used as Auto-X tires). They wear fast (but at half the price of other tires I don't care) , and are
great in the wet (sometimes used as wet racing tires), but very bad in standing water (there's a big difference).
We get very little rain in Colorado so wet performance is a non-issue to me, and I run snow tires in the winter months.
Problem is, they're not available on 18" wheels at all, which is another reason I'm not a fan of 18's.
Less tire choice, and higher cost per tire.
If I moved down to 17's for my summer wheels I could run the Falkens.
The Goodyear Eagle F1's are very highly rated on the Tire Rack, but if
you look at all the ratings carefullly, you'll see that what puts them over
the top is not dry grip or responsiveness (both good, but not as good as some of the others),
is their wet performance, long life and quiet ride. The latter things
aren't as important to me as ultimate grip and turn-in response. But
then I haven't driven on em yet, so I'll hold off saying anything more
until I do.
I think Haldex was the right decision but I have had my doubts in the past.
The R32's Haldex programming (and it is programmable) seems to be quite
a bit better than it was on older model Audi TTs and such. It seems to
engage earlier, quicker and more smoothly. On the TT, to get it to activate while
cornering you had to almost fling the car off the road before it'd catch you, while
by all accounts it kicks in early enough in the R32 to simply be able to enjoy
cornering somewhere under the limit with a neutral steering feel. Again though,
I'll reserve judgement until I drive it.
ian

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: For Daemon Et. Al.....what are your overall impressions of the R32 now (Daemon42)

You have yet to drive the R32??
Well, drat!~

·
Registered
205 Posts
Great car...amazingly no squeeks or rattles after 5 months and 3,000miles.
The only niggle is that the dealer charged for the NAV discs (£120!) that should of came with the NAV in first place!
The exhaust is better broken in and has more feel to the sound.
Overall, a well built performance car for the price. (£29k!)
The 5 doors are also useful.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (Klint-R32)

Good post.
I wonder what all the "sqeaks and rattles" are caused by. Is it just poor quality control, such as not tightening bolts down tight enough??
My moms 97 GTI VR6 is SOLID, or it WAS solid. No sqeaks or rattles at all. That is, until it slipped out of gear (my bad) and rolled downhill into a telephone pole.
Then, it developed this sqeak, almost like metal rubbing against itself, that comes out of the roof area. We have no idea what is causing it.
We just hope nothing is cracked. Any ideas?
But i digress.
Glad to know your R32 is pleasing.

Modified by vso at 11:59 AM 2-17-2004

·
Registered
205 Posts
Re: (vso)

Quote, originally posted by vso »
Good post.
I wonder what all the "sqeaks and rattles" are caused by. Is it just poor quality control, such as not tightening bolts down tight enough??
My moms 97 GTI VR6 is SOLID, or it WAS solid.
Thatis, it was until it slipped outof gear (my bad) and rolled downhill into a telephone pole.
Then, it developed this sqeak, almost like metal rubbing against itself, that comes out of the roof area. We have no idea what is causing it.
We just hope nothing is cracked.
But i digress.
Glad to know your R32 is pleasing.

Sad to hear about the misofrtune of your mother's car.
It's well built, definitely, well at least my R32 is!
Usually car companies compromise between rock solid suspension and bad road surfaces or squeeks and rattles. For the Isle of Man, it'squite possibly the best of both worlds, the suspension does it's job wonderfully without any fuss without hindering the high quality build that comes with the R32.
We do have good road surfaces here, but it's held up well, considering our fellow German brother's have had many complaints of squeeks and rattles, which are unfound of in my example.
The windscreen took a stone and chipped it, that's annoying but it hasn't gotten any worse so it isn't a prioity at the moment and that was caused due to circumstances that was both out of mine and the cars power.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts