VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a new GTI with the leather interior. I would have preferred cloth, but I just couldn't wait the 3 months for the right combo to come in to the dealer.
SO, my questions for you venerable folk are as follows:
1) When is it best to start "conditioning" the leather seats in the car. Are there any sort of protectants or conditioners I should be putting on right away?
2) What kind of leather conditioner do you reccomend.
Thanks in advance for your responses. You all RoX0r

·
Registered
47 Posts
Re: For leather interiors (Bjaardker)

Lexol is what you need. It is the best product on the market without a doubt. They have a conditioner and a cleaner, about $7 a bottle. Its the best, i use it about every other week.

·
Registered
15,302 Posts

I work in a restoration shop and we use different things, to clean the leather use a really mild soap and water solution or Lexol cleaner if you want to spend money but they do the same thing. To contdition it you can use Lexol which is very nice or you can use Connoly Hide Food which is the best there is but it takes a bloody weekend to do a whole interior! You really have to work for rewards with that stuff but it is what we trust on $30,000 Rolls Royce interiors. Either way you should achieve good results. I have used both on my Passat's leather and had no troubles.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: For leather interiors (geofftii2002)

Great! Thanks for the info.
I guess i didn't realize there was a detailing forum

I woulda posted this there if I wasn't so ignorant.

One last thing. Is there a need to start putting conditioner on now (breaking them in or something of that nature), or is it just a whenever you feel it's necessary thing.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Re: For leather interiors (mintyfresh)

that's what i thought too, but it gets about a quarter, if not less than, the traffic of this forum. i just bought a liter bottle of both lexol cleaner and conditioner and am going to clean my interior this weekend. i've only had the car about a month.
from what i've read, you should condition after you clean. and everytime you clean, you condition. if i'm not mistaken, they both have to be done together, no exceptions. hope that helps and i'll let you know how it goes this weekend!

·
Registered
422 Posts

Mercedes has a special formula they use which I have picked up for 9.95 (at a Mercedes dealership) and it works wonders. When I used lexol it made the leather too soft. This stuff toughens the leather while conditions, resists cracking and makes creases literally disappear. I would HIGHLY recommend it. I do my leather about every month but I am psyco about it. I would suggest when you feel it getting dry or creasing do it. I would put on a coat to start it cannot hurt. I soak a rag in it and put it on really heavy, and then wait a couple hours and then buff it off with a soft cloth. It lets it soak in and that way you are not wasting what its purpose is.

·
Registered
15,302 Posts

It is always good to condition even on a new interior. We do it on brand new interiors. Also you should always condition after a clean to keep it moist.

·
Registered
6,732 Posts

Pay extra attention to the steering wheel and side bolsters on the drivers seat. Anywhere your skin touches will wear faster from the oil on your skin, the side bolsters obviously wear faster too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.