VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
3,770 Posts
Welcome!

I cannot answer your question directly as my 1982 Rabbit Convertible is mostly stock.

I can tell you that after a O2 sensor service replacement on my Rabbit that the low speed performance was improved, smoother snd small but noticeable increase in torque and I picked up about 3 miles/gallon.

That my friends is a win.

fat biker

· Registered
10,756 Posts
A shorted O2 sensor would cause the computer to think the exhaust is running lean and therefore fatten it up. Since the sensor will still report back it is lean, it will run rich.

As mentioned above, an O2 sensor is nothing but good. It keeps the right amount of fuel for the best fuel efficiency and therefore running. At full throttle, the O2 sensor is ignored since a slightly rich mixture at that condition is better for power.

Do yourself a favor, replace the O2 sensor with the proper one for the engine. If you cannot afford it, then it can be disconnected, but the engine will not run as well as it could.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.