VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
6,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read many threads about people pinging with the GIAC chip. Some worse than others. When I initially installed the chip 2 years ago I had no pinging but as time went by it started to develop. In my case I was pinging for a second during the initial punch then it would go away. Well, a few days ago I slapped in some Penzoil fuel injector cleaner when I filled up. I have gone through 3/4 of the tank and my pinging has totally gone away. Today it was fairly warm out and the car ran awesome, no pinging at all and the throttle responce is razor sharp. I know fuel injector cleaner is nothing new but for the people that are experiencing pinging and have not tried a cleaner do so. Worked for me! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
8,388 Posts
Re: For people that are pinging on GIAC V1.1! (1lowVento)

i had a similar pinging problem w/ my 2.8 24v vr6. even stock it would ping under light/moderate load when being light on the gas. w/ the giac chip, even worse.
ran a bottle of seafoam....injector cleaner....through the gas tank....pinging gone.

· Registered
1,248 Posts
Re: For people that are pinging on GIAC V1.1! (Banditt007)

Yep, those carbon deposits can really cause havoc on our cars.
Seafoam really did it for me.
Terry, if you want to try, I got a few bottles sitting around.
Steve

· Registered
6,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: For people that are pinging on GIAC V1.1! (SiDeeFung)

Quote, originally posted by SiDeeFung »
Yep, those carbon deposits can really cause havoc on our cars.
Seafoam really did it for me.
Terry, if you want to try, I got a few bottles sitting around.
Steve

Thanks for the offer..I have been looking for that stuff but I have not been able to find it!

· Registered
6,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: For people that are pinging on GIAC V1.1! (steveedub)

Quote, originally posted by steveedub »
with the pounding that the GLX gets how could it be caboned up? I am willing to try this seafoam stuff right before my next Oil change....

Thats the prob...I havent been pouding on it for a few months now due to the warm weaterh so I guess carbon deposits formed! Now that it cooled down watch out

· Registered
6,740 Posts
Re: For people that are pinging on GIAC V1.1! (1lowVento)

were do they sell this seafoam?? part number? I went to home depo and orchard supply and they didint know....

· Registered
8,388 Posts
Re: For people that are pinging on GIAC V1.1! (ricardo)

around here autozone is the only place i know that carries it, also apparently NAPA does as well.
I would suggest 1/2-1 bottle through the intake (a few threads up a guy did a write up on it) and 1 full bottle to a full tank of gas, what stopped by pinging was the bottle through the gas tank, my guess...dirty injectors .....never thought of that b/c my car pinged since it was 2k miles old!
also i drive the ISH out of the car, and when i put it through the intake it created the biggest smoke screen mankind has ever witnessed.

· Registered
5,166 Posts
Re: For people that are pinging on GIAC V1.1! (Banditt007)

is there anything else other than seafoam that will clean up the chambers??? cuz to be honest im a little nervous to be throwing something like that into my cylinders...like is there an injection flush service somewhere that will clean just as well without making me nervous as hell doing it??? its something i'll probabley do in the spring before the car comes out of storage. i dont think the previous owner ever had something like this done and the giac has been in there for a few years now

· Registered
8,388 Posts
Re: For people that are pinging on GIAC V1.1! (WannabeVWguy)

anything that does something like this is going to be a liquid added in the same way.
You could try putting water into the intake. that should clean it out good. again not dump it in, but just dribble it in keeping the RPM around 2500-3k, and you know, if it bogs give it a second w/o the water to recover ect. make sure you drive the car for awhile, and get it good and hot, b/c the key thing we are trying to do is make water into steam, hence steam cleaning the motor. Like when your headgasket blows into cylinder 1, and you redo the headgasket, and the cylinder 1 combustion chamber is super clean...like that.
However putting anything into the intake is not going to clean out your injectors, and the main cause of the lack of pining was b/c i put a bottle of it into my gas tank.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.