VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

For the first time ever it didn't get me home...

701 views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  fat biker 
#1 ·
Not a big issue, but the first time ever, my Cabby hasn't gotten me to my destination. Left work last night just before midnight to head home and about 2 miles from work my gas peddle dropped to the floor and never came back
had to walk all the way back to work (believe it or not it was the closest phone) in the rain and make a couple calls. Had a buddy of mine come out in a truck and most importantly a flashlight. Flashlight though, was useless. I was hoping i'd be able to rig something up, but couldn't see to do so. Had to ramp the idle up to 3k and that made it back up the hill and down and parked it at my friends place.
I won't be able to find where its broke at till sunday. I still have 2 more 10 hour shifts to work today and tomorrow so she'll have to sit till then. From what i could tell it broke right at the peddle...
anyways, to shorten an already long post, anyone know where i can get a throttle cable REALLY cheap? No $$ for a week and it looks like i'll have to borrow money just to buy a damn cable... Anyone else have any good recommendations for rigging it just to make do? Not looking forward to drive my g/f's :groan: honda for a while.... especially when she's supposed to be looking for a job...

See less See more
#3 ·
Re: For the first time ever it didn't get me home... (PDX Cabby)

Are you sure the cable broke. On mine, the little rubber grommet just broke and the throttle cable popped out. I just rigged it with a zip tie until I found another grommet for $1.50. Just loop the cable through the pedal and it should be fine.

#5 ·

I had a similar experience on the way to my first autocross.
I thought the cable had snapped, but it turned out that I had broken the pedal in two at the 90 degree bend. Check that out.
You can always snag a cheap junkyard cable/pedal until you have the cashish for a new one.
Peace

#6 ·

Let me know if you can't find spares locally, I will gladly mail you bits and you can make it up whenever.
I have spare cable and pedal as well.
FYI here's the recommended spares list for the trunk (or hatch for you folks with tin tops).
Clutch cable, throttle cable, accessory belt(s) with the tools (and a light) to replace these items. A few odd-ball hoses (like the top/bottom rad and some straight lengths) and clamps are good idea, as is duct tape and bailing wire. Reduces the chance of being stranded drastically.

#11 ·
Re: For the first time ever it didn't get me home... (A1racer)

hey... thanks for the sympothy guys! i managed to get tomorrow off paid so i'll be tackling this first thing. hoping i could rig it up with a pair of vise grips and at least get it home and work on it from there... again thanks...
cthulu703: got your number written down... will let ya know if i need anymore help...

#14 ·
Re: For the first time ever it didn't get me home... (scirocco16v)

will letcha know... the car is in beaverton still actually. I'll flag you down if needed... thanks!

#15 ·

thanks everyone... got out there tonight with a flashlight and retrohasen had it right, it was the grommet. found it sitting on the floorboard. pushed it back into place and finished it all up with a zip tie... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
i was hoping i was gonna have to do some real work. this didn't even deserver a
when it was all said and done.. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.