VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 0 1 2 0 settings assuming it's for the intermittent wiper delay. Clicks to 1 and 2, but what do the spring-back zeros do? Got 96 glx jetta here. Total n00b to this whole german car thing, too. LOT different than toyota and gm, that's for sure. Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
106 Posts
It's rather stupid. Intermittent is the lowest setting, off is the center, slow is the first click up, fast is second click up.

·
Registered
369 Posts
That switch is to switch between you current and overall I guess you could say readings. When it is switched to 1 it will show current time car has been running, current average speed, current kilometers traveled since the car was started, mpg or km/l, and oil temp. If you hold the switch 0 left of the one it will reset it. And vice versa for 2. 2 shows overall readings. So lets say you haven't reset it for a month. It will show total time car has been running, miles/kilometers driven, average speed over that one month period, average mpg or km/l, and average oil temp. I hope that helps bud. And like they said. You get 3 speeds.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea I have all the manuals. I'll look this up. In the meantime, this is what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well the method of turn on delay, shut off and wait few sec, isn't working at all. Same 5 seconds and I finally found out wtf that 0120 is for....running time. wtf is that used for?? I dont get it's point.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Ah, that's for the MFA stuff. I have a 95 OBD-I, so I don't have those numbers. Pretty nifty :thumbup:.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just figured out the wiper today randomly today actually. You just need to switch between windscreen wipers off and on and the speed at which you do that determines how long the delay is. If you want a quick delay, just switch between the delay setting at the bottom and the off setting one step up from that as quick as you can... if you want to have a longer delay, switch between the two a couple of times but leave a longer break in between.

Also, the 1 and 2 is for your trip computer thing. The 1 setting is for your immediate trip which resets after 2 hours of the car being switched off, and the number 2 setting allows your driving info to build up until you decide to reset it. It displays fuel economy, time spent, distance travelled, oil temp, outside temp etc. To see that info just press the end of the windscreen wiper stalk to switch between them

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yup! Exactly. Finally figured it out and why there was 30 hours once hahaha

holding on 0 resets since its spring-back.

Still don't get the delay to change at all. Seems set to about 3-4 seconds using the methods mentioned here.

·
Registered
18,342 Posts
The #19 and the #196 are the standard wiper relays. They wipe every 6 seconds and cannot be programmed.

You'll only have the programmable delay with a #99 relay (they came on the earlier cars). It can be programmed to wipe between 1.5 seconds to 22 seconds.

Programming:
1. Click the wiper lever on. (Intermittent)
2. Click it back off.
3. Wait how long you want the delay.
4. After that, click the wiper on again. (Now programmed)

The time you wait between when it was shut off and put back on again is the time it will be programmed for. If you shut it off, wait 2 seconds and put it back on, it will wipe every 2 seconds. If you shut it off, wait 20 seconds and put it back on, it will wipe every 20 seconds. I love it. I've got some of anyone wants.

·
Registered
17,620 Posts
Danny, can you confirm that to use that relay you need the right stalk?
Like the one pictured.

Makes sense to me bc when we tried that relay at your place, it didn't work for me bc I have that crap stalk (whole nother issue prolly)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I did see a lot of this #99 relay, but not much of it made sense until it was explained in a simple form in 1 post :)

Now to find the relay mentioned...

Also what does MFA stand for?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.