VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My question is what do you do when its time to rotate your tires. Obviously you dont put the wider wheels in the front. Do you just accept that increased tread wear will ocurr, or do you have other options to make your tires last longer? Thank joo
a pic for the pic hungry, beacuse your car is nOice

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Re: --For those of you who run wider wheels in the back-- (damnryan)

I run 2 sets of wheels. Regular driving = 19X8's all around
Events = 19X9.5 rear / 19X8.5 front
It works out pretty nice and I really appreciate the RH's when I put them back on.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Re: --For those of you who run wider wheels in the back-- (damnryan)

Dear god I hope you guys are talking about show cars.
I pray that no one is really that naive to run wider tires on the rear of a front wheel drive car.
Do you have any idea what that does to your handling and how it increases the likelyhood of dramatic understeer?

·
Registered
11,846 Posts
Re: --For those of you who run wider wheels in the back-- (Crash6)

quote:[HR][/HR]Dear god I hope you guys are talking about show cars.
I pray that no one is really that naive to run wider tires on the rear of a front wheel drive car.
Do you have any idea what that does to your handling and how it increases the likelyhood of dramatic understeer?[HR][/HR]​
Do you? I have course raced on my 18x9.5's and performed quite well.

[Modified by Demon_Dub, 2:35 PM 2-1-2003]

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Re: --For those of you who run wider wheels in the back-- (Sam1.8T)

quote:[HR][/HR]You can do side to side....
[HR][/HR]​
This case cannot be applied when you are running directional tires. Anyway, I think I can live with the uneven tire tread wear

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Re: --For those of you who run wider wheels in the back-- (Demon_Dub)

Sorry. Let me be more specific.
If you are running the same tire width all the way around, fine.
If you are running a 225 in the front, and a 245 in the rear, your handling will be adversley affected.

·
Registered
11,846 Posts

225/40......265/35...

You are right, the car would habdle a lot better with less wide tires in the back but its not that horrible that I cant drive it on the track well. There were some funny pics of my dusting an E36 M3.. the guy really couldnt drive his car and I think getting smoked by the VW only made it worse on his ego.

[Modified by Demon_Dub, 2:46 PM 2-1-2003]

·
Registered
3,833 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Sorry. Let me be more specific.
If you are running the same tire width all the way around, fine.
If you are running a 225 in the front, and a 245 in the rear, your handling will be adversley affected. [HR][/HR]​
I'm running a 255X30X19 in the rear / 235X35X19 front and it rails like a beast with the H&R CO's. Please explain your logic, I'm very interested. Not being cynical here.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Re: --For those of you who run wider wheels in the back-- (JayB)

Well, I'll try not to be too cliche and start with the laughable "in my experience...."
Granted, the logic I am basing my statements on comes from autocrossing and not road racing. However, the physics shouldn't change.
On a front wheel dive car, the front tires supply motive traction and directional control. The rear tires simply follow the line the front tires have set for them.
In a turn, weight can be transferred very quiclky. At some point, one or more of the tires will lose traction. In racing, it is generally more desirable to have the rear tires lose traction gradually so the car effectively rotates. Your traction is controlled by your throttle application.
With wider tires in the rear of a FWD car, the front tires are the ones to lose traction first. Now they are not supplying motive force or directing the car. Now, you are understeering. Mild understeer is actually a good thing for street cars because it is very easy to correct and is generaly considered safer for normal driving. On a race track, you slow down and lose time.
The MKIV Golfs and Jettas already have a terrible tendancy to underateer. Running small tires in front, with big tires in the rear, tends to create severe understeer. Sure, you could always run a gigantic rear sway bar to make up for them, but that kind of defeats the purpose.
Therefore, IMO, this is not a good set up for a street driven car and not really desirable for a racecar. I would hate to hear of someone hitting a guardrail on a freeway off ramp because they plowed right through the turn they thought their car could perorm. Granted, it could happen with anyone, but that tire combination just increases their chances.
DemonDub I have debated with other people as well as to this set up. Most of them seem to think they actually have more control and the handling is more confidence inspiring. However, at the limit, something has to give. I personally hate understeer. Now I don't have the benefit of your road course experience, but if you can make this set up work at a track, more power to you. Now just think of how much faster you could be (theoretically) if the tires were the same size all the way around.....

[Modified by Crash6, 11:38 PM 2-1-2003]

·
Registered
1,718 Posts

Um how often do you drive your car on the street into terminal understeer
Maybe once in a while. Like it really matters to 99% of people driving on the street. These arent race cars and larger wheels/tires is perfectly acceptable for cruising and driving spirited.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.