VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
7,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm talking 25+ years old. Are you guys ever concerned about safety? A lot of the older cars I really want to own someday have no airbags and other safety equipment. Personally at this point it doesn't really bother me all that much but sometimes I stop to think about how much worse a minor accident might be if I were to be driving an older car.

An example of what I'd love to own someday:

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I never really think about it to be honest with you, the cars function better than a motorcycle in handling and braking and I ride a vintage bike half the year and that doesn't so much bother me either.

It's just like a lot of things, they are as safe as you make them because when it comes down to it, the best piece of safety equipment is between your ears.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
I've always had older cars and it never bothered me. As long as you have shoulder straps, adequate side impact protection, crumple zones, and full-length seats with headrests I don't think you are in much worse shape.

With that said, when our son was born I quickly ditched my '90 Jetta Coupe for a new car with a 5 star crash safety. More importantly, it has modern day features like the LATCH system for the car seat. With that said, my daily is still 13 years old. It has airbags, but I still need to use the center lap belt to attach the car seat. Although it's inffequent, I don't feel unsafe driving my little one around in it.

·
Registered
S2000, E320
8,004 Posts
It's just something you can't worry about, because if you're constantly worrying then the driving is no fun!

Couple things I think you should consider:

1) Due to the lack of safety technology on older cars, everything 'crash avoidance' related must be in tip-top shape! Brakes, tires, suspension and lighting all should be perfectly maintained. These items are basically your airbags and Traction control in an accident situation.

2) Be more aware when driving. Older cars often brake longer, and don't turn as sharply (depends on model of course). This means nothing to distract you at all, and always be anticipating for the next move on the road. An extra foot of stopping distance can make the difference between accident and safety.

·
Registered
89,723 Posts
When I was commuting 120 miles a day in my 88 F-150- yes, I did think of safety.
But it was more of a "I need to slow down and get over to the slower traffic lanes" or "I need to get off the interstate because these semis are insane right now" type thoughts, not "I shouldn't be driving this deathtrap" type thoughts.
It's called defensive driving.

·
Registered
36,276 Posts
I really don't worry about the safety. At all.

Accidents happen, but if you drive a car with manual brakes and steering...and it doesn't even have seatbelts, you tend to be a bit more aware of your surroundings.

I feel that a lot of safety equipment really blinds people and makes them drive careless.

·
Registered
18,613 Posts
It's safer not to drive any car at all - but many people really have to drive in my country.

All those new cars out now are going to be obsoleted by safer cars in 20 years. What's the difference? My car had state-of-the-art safety features when it was new. It's got crashbars in the doors, crumple zones. Telescoping steering column, three point seat belts in the front with inertia reels. It has a cross-connected brake system with vacuum assist.

I have to say though - the safety argument is pretty good. It sells new cars. It freaks people out.

I also have a dishwasher that's from 1981. It works just fine - it cleans dishes. My 1984 car gets me from point a to point b. The house I live in was built in 1880. The house has never been restored - it has the original siding, and most of the slate roof too. Sure - it isn't modern - the insulation is horsehair - but it works.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I currently don't DD a 25+ y.o. car but I did for several years. I was never concerned, but was glad the day that I rolled onto the drivers side of my Subaru, that I was driving a car that was known for rollover safety. If I had been driving my Monte Carlo or any of the other cars that I have owned I may not have walked away and been able to keep driving the car.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
i don't feel very safe in my miata. i recently got hit in it (slow speed but still lots of suspension damage) and now i'm trying to decide if i should get something new or keep it and get seats, harnesses, and a roll bar.

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
I'm talking 25+ years old. Are you guys ever concerned about safety?
I sold my 10-year-old car w/ 4 airbags for one older than me. Having never been in any major accident, safety never really crosses my mind ..
I'm sure my 2500-lb compact wouldn't match well with a Tahoe, but otherwise the only safety at stake is that of whoever totals my irreplaceable car :mad:

·
Registered
80 Scirocco, 87 Scirocco 16v, 86 Quantum Syncro, 91 318is, 84 230CE, 99 Tacoma PreRunner
24,107 Posts
My newest car is 25 years old, my oldest is 38 years old.

We all will die at some point. No matter how safe a car is, it will still be possible to die in it.

If I'm going to die in a car, I'd much rather it be something that I love.

·
Registered
16,092 Posts
When I was commuting 120 miles a day in my 88 F-150- yes, I did think of safety.
But it was more of a "I need to slow down and get over to the slower traffic lanes" or "I need to get off the interstate because these semis are insane right now" type thoughts, not "I shouldn't be driving this deathtrap" type thoughts.
It's called defensive driving.

Works great right up until some drunk T-Bones you right out of nowhere.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.