VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just tried spraying my tails with the testors candy apple red. I think I sprayed in too cold of weather though. It was about 40-50 degrees outside and it looks kind of hazy. So my question is, what do you use to get the paint off without damaging the lights? Will mineral spirits damage the lights?
thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
584 Posts
Re: For those who have tinted their tails? (vwvr6vw)

there is something you can pick up at wal-mart or any kinda store like that. it is called goo-gone or goof-off. either of these will work...worked for me when my x-girlfriend decided to scribble on my nugget yellow corrado in red sharpie marker "fu_k you"....of course it took of some of my paint too

good luck

[Modified by needboost2live, 2:15 PM 4-4-2002]

·
Registered
189 Posts
Re: For those who have tinted their tails? (needboost2live)

quote:[HR][/HR]there is something you can pick up at wal-mart or any kinda store like that. it is called goo-gone or goof-off. either of these will work...worked for me when my x-girlfriend decided to scribble on my nugget yellow corrado in red sharpie marker "fu_k you"....of course it took of some of my paint too

good luck

[Modified by needboost2live, 2:15 PM 4-4-2002][HR][/HR]​
jeez, what did you do to her? sick girl...

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
Re: For those who have tinted their tails? (jefg60)

WAIT!!!!! Don't spray anything else on there, all you have to do is have some paper towels ready and SPRAY MORE OF THAT CANDY APPLE RED paint you used on there!!!! It'll liquify the first layer and you can wipe it all right off, no other chemicals needed!!!! If you use Goof-off on there, you'll find it extremely difficult to paint it again later!!! Plus Goof-off will partially melt the plastic in the lenses (it breaks down polymers, that's how it works).

·
Registered
283 Posts
Re: For those who have tinted their tails? (g60racer)

and DO NOT USE BRAKE CLEANER ON PAINTS!!!please...i beg you..at least not on car paint....it will take whatever you are trying to get off...and your paint...i saw someone put a rag with brake cleaner on it on someones hood...the paint was peeled by the next day...they were pissed...i would be too...it was only an older prelude though...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Re: For those who have tinted their tails? (Compass)

There is a good write-up on CCA of a guy who tinted his tails with window tint spray paint for RC cars. He bought it from a hobby shop. His car looks good, it's a lot cheaper than Folia-tec or Niteshades and you can correct mistakes with rubbing alcohol.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts

well you could spray a bunch of coats of clear coat on it...for some reason it eats away at the bottom paint and actually takes layers off...well it did for me at least. I made mine too dark and next morning i was like sh1t...this is fugly too dark for me...gave it a few coats of clear and it lightened the color perfectly.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Re: For those who have tinted their tails? (Shinny_G60)

I did mine last weekend with Niteshades. I'm still in school for another month, so I love these cheap mods! Anyway, that stuff is just looking for a reason to run. And it did on one.I tried goo-gone, goo-gone gel, WD-40... then I got it right. A little dab of gas on a cloth and it wipes right off. Do it off the car, but it doesn't hurt the original plastic at all. (It sure didn't on mine) I'm still trying to decide to do a 3rd coat, or just clear coat it. We'll see.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts

needboost.
you should introduce her carf to jasco airplane stripper. That is some bad bad stuff. down to the bear metal
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
. not that I know anything about that

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Thanks, Gas did the trick. I re-painted them with one coat of candy apple red for both the orange and red parts and they looked great untill... I sprayed the gloss clear cote and they turned out blurry. I guess I'll be cleaning them off again now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.