VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
22,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which motor would you like to see in the TUNED version?
I haven't a clue about power... just wondered what motor would be fitting. Assume they all could have a 6 speed manual.

·
Registered
13,445 Posts
Re: For those who LIKE the CTS... (uncleho)

i think the IDEAL would be the 270hp I-6. (that's why i added that choice)
it's already a kickarse motor, mated to a 6spd in a rear-drive sedan, it would just rip it up.
it would smoke all of the cars in its class with that set up, assuming they get the right gearbox for it.
and then, it would open the door for that 400hp twin turbo version of it that they want to use in the upcoming cadillac SUV.
the best part about it is that it's an existing motor and it's getting great reviews. so realistically speaking, it's the best (if not the only) choice for such a car if it made it to production.

·
Registered
14,916 Posts
Re: For those who LIKE the CTS... (TwoLitreVW)

Unfortunatly the Vortec 4300 is far too tall to fit in any existing GM car platform. In fact it is so tall that parts of the suspension of the Trailblazer / Envoy / Bravada pass through holes drilled through the Vortec 4300 block.
GM attempted to put the Vortec 4300 in a 'car' with the Bel Air Concept

The front end of the Bel Air is so thick it may as well be a truck.

·
Get Off My Lawn!!!
29,544 Posts
Re: For those who LIKE the CTS... (ClownCar)

That's interesting about the BelAir, Brent. I'd been studying the relative thickness of this car's profile, and not having read about its powertrain, had attributed it to a likely desire by GeeEmm's designers to emulate the type of thick/blunt look that predominated in their mid-fifties designs, such as the fifty-five/six Chevrolets.
Certain details of this car (BelAir) are fairly attractive, to me anyway (taillamps, beltline "kickup", etc), but it doesn't really seem like a cohesive design (too "truckish" in the nose, for one thing) that is headed for any sort of production. Maybe this engine-height issue is another sad footnote to several of the General's well-intentioned plans in recent years.
BTW, I've driven GeeEmm products with this new six-cylinder engine. In a word...sah-weeeeeet motor.

·
Registered
MTA F Train
6,574 Posts
Re: For those who LIKE the CTS... (uncleho)

GM spent all this effort developing the engine for the Cien. There was talk of putting it in Vettes, Pickups, and the like. I don't see why they can't put one in the CTS too.

·
Registered
13,445 Posts
Re: For those who LIKE the CTS... (vapor)

bummer.
couldn't they slant the damn motor?
havent they done that before?
it's such a sweet powerplant, it's a shame it cant spread to more of their lineup.

·
Banned
7,292 Posts
Re: For those who LIKE the CTS... (A4Jetta)

One time I did that and I was asked (in a not very nice tone) "How can you drive that import car past an American flag and call yourself an American!?!?!
"
I was all like...
Because American cars are so crappy that I wouldn't even consider owning one.
*drives away*

·
Registered
'20 Telluride, '22 Santa Fe PHEV, '07 Airstream
11,191 Posts
Re: For those who LIKE the CTS... (TabulaRasa)

quote:[HR][/HR]One time I did that and I was asked (in a not very nice tone) "How can you drive that import car past an American flag and call yourself an American!?!?! [HR][/HR]​
Guess Cletus was off his them medication that day.... Yikes!
My vote - Northstar, but with a turbo.
Tom

·
Registered
22,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: For those who LIKE the CTS... (ClownCar)

True, but that logic doesn't necessarily work for BMWs and Mercs. Cars that use to be JUST I6 are now V8s in M/AMG form. I just assume GM will be more open minded with their TUNER version of the CTS.
I've actually heard rumors of a V-8 and GM only has two types: N'star and Vette/F-body. Who knows?
I think the V-12 is a pipe dream in the near future, so whatever they decide for the STS TUNER version will likely be an aspirated Northstar. Thus, if it fits, I don't see the wrong with a Northstar for the TUNER CTS. Personally I prefer a twin turbo V-6 just for weight savings.
But alas, it looks like "ass" so its meaningless, right?

·
Registered
8,077 Posts
Re: For those who LIKE the CTS... (Soul Man)

Hence they call the new engine the Vortec 4200-Don't believe this motor would fit in the CTS
I like the idea of using the old 4.0 Aurora V8 in the CTS as the one-up option.
Then the new 4.2liter Northstar V8 as the high end motor.

·
Get Off My Lawn!!!
29,544 Posts
Re: For those who LIKE the CTS

Getting back to the looks of the CTS, I find myself in the increasingly common/once unthinkable position of speaking as an advocate for the General. At first, I didn't really care for the rather...strange sort of chunky/chiseled appearance of this new model. But, then, after actually viewing one on the street awhile back, I found myself giving the CTS a second chance, and now, it really is growing on me (a bit).
But, with the increasing numbers of new cars that seem to be hellbent on reviving the era of grotesque styling of the mid-seventies (Datsun B210/F-10, Mustang II, ALL Fords, etc) with their thick-waisted, clumsy-proportioned designs (just look to the East, my friends, for MANY examples), the new Cadillac design-direction is at least trying to stake-out a new identity for Caddy without falling into lockstep with the rest of the ugly-hordes. The CTS is crisply-tailored, decently proportioned (although it too manages to make 17-inch rims look like thirteen-inchers; if this is industry-design progress then I'm a monkey's uncle, but I digress...
), and, especially from the rear, is v. distinctive and even rather handsome, without looking freakish (refer to new BMW 7-series).
That's my take on it. Feel free to boil me in oil (just don't leave me in too long, I HATE that burning-flesh smell
).

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.