VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. My 2013 TT RS currently has about 20K miles on it, but has had this happen ever since I bought it with 12K. Whenever I step on the clutch while accelerating forward in 1st gear, I get a loud "clunk" sound that I can feel strongly in the driver's seat. Likewise, whenever I'm accelerating with any force in 2nd or 3rd gear, I hear the same "clunk", accompanied by what sounds like a quick "squeaka - squeaka" sound. I can also confirm that the clutch pedal itself is not making the noise (it's silent when clutching in at idle or with the car off - the noise only happens when clutching in while moving).

I think that it may be related to situations with greater forward to back weight transfer (e.g. - rolling forward in first and hitting the clutch, or clutching in to shift during a pull), but I can't be 100% sure. My instincts tell me that it is either normal and intrinsic to this car's transmission, or one of my mounts has an issue. Going against this theory is the fact that it's been doing it since 12K miles (@8 years old, to be fair), and that it also does it if I'm creeping forward in 1st and suddenly hit the clutch (I can't imagine much weight transfer happening in this situation).

Do your TTRS's make a "clunk" or "squeaking" noise when you clutch in on pulls or when creeping forward in 1st gear? Any thoughts on what this might be?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I literally just bought mine (in fact its not official yet due to Carvanas 7 day tryout policy) and I did notice that there is a lot of transmission noise on this car. I can easily hear the clutch engage and disengage with the windows down while in neutral. Sometimes I can hear/feel the driveline surge a bit. I think the previous owner did a bit of hard launching.
No squeaks, but the slow driving in this car is jerky due to driveline "flex" is the best way to put it. If I am in a parking lot, I creep in second gear because a slight touch of gas and the car will surge forward if in 1st.
I will be getting mine inspected before my 7 days are up and I will definitely be asking about the surging in 1st

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm also a recent TTRS owner via Carvana. I had the car thoroughly inspected ($150 inspection) and received a clean bill of health. The techs at my mechanic shop mentioned that the gear boxes in these cars are very notchy - I think the drivetrain noise is typical. For my car (~32k mi) I can cause the clutch to make noise if I depress it quickly (roughly disengaging the clutch); and the gearbox will audibly click going into 2nd at low engine speeds. I'm guessing it always clicks but higher engine rpms mask it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Oh yeah. Mine has done that since I got it, which is on,y 6 months ago but I also only have 25k on the odometer. I don’t have the squeaks though. The creeping forward one almost feels like something something drops or I don’t know, but it is weird, just a very abrupt disengagement.....I think this is just a very verbal/mechanical transmission and drivetrain. The problem is, especially for someone like me who hasn’t driven stick in 20 years till this, the feedback is confusing Sometimes in regards to the car being upset a little over what seems like the same feel where it wasn’t.

I’m a terrible judge as I said haven’t driven standard in forever, but it seems like it is a very finicky drivetrain that has very small clutch and throttle margins to evoke those kinds of things or be smooth.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I learned this from another thread, but the Sport mode makes the throttle MUCH more touchy - so now when I'm in a parking lot, I'll change it out of Sport if I have to creep around in 1st.
Of course if I don't change it back to Sport, then I'll stall out - ESPECIALLY if I have rassenfrassen "hill climb assist" engaged itself - HATE that feature.

Back OT: I have driven the car 1K miles and no squeaks or serious thunks. The behavior you have is definitely abnormal. Find a good Audi/Euro independent mechanic and chat them up on what they've seen in these cars. I am in GA and use EuroFed automotive. The owner is a HUGE Audi fan and has 2 new R8's with one getting a twin turbo kit installed currently. They are in GA, TX, NC, and FL - Home | Eurofed Automotive They did my inspection and the mechanic was very chatty about our cars and has worked on a few - surprising since the cars are not the most common, which is why I wanted one :cool:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just got an oil service (legitimately noticeable in smoothness everywhere) and had them go over the car, all good. The clunk the OP mentions happens under a specific clutch engagement circumstance, not sure what that is, but seems that way. I also think the sport on/off throttle is so drastic that it makes feel for the car change to feel for two different cars. FWIW, after my last posts I sorta stopped sorta ‘babying” it even in light traffic and I think the car in both Modes is all around happier that way. I realized the whole time when I am driving spirited I never really notice anything finicky, it is always when loafing around. It likes to go.

·
Registered
33 Posts
install aluminum bushings on the trans mount, poly bushings on the end links of the cables and the kits from diesel geek. when your done the trans will feel firm and solid no sloppiness at the shifter and you will finally know what gear your going into when your shifting. approx 300$

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.