VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

· Registered
5,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26057892/
Quote »
DEARBORN, Mich. - Ford Motor Co. said Wednesday it will introduce its new blind-spot mirror this fall on the 2009 Ford Edge crossover.
The automaker had planned to bring the mirror to market next year but moved up the date after getting so much positive feedback, said Kelly Kohlstrand, a member of Ford's advanced product marketing and technology planning team.
Ford also is in a race with General Motors Corp. to bring the technology to market. Blind-spot mirrors will be a standard feature on the 2009 Chevrolet Traverse crossover, which will start production in September, according to GM spokesman Terry Rhadigan.
Kohlstrand said the mirror will be a standard feature on some versions of the Edge and will be added to other vehicles in 2009.
On both the Edge and the Traverse, small mirrors that give drivers a view of the "blind spot" alongside the vehicle sit flush in the outer corner of the side mirrors.
Kohlstrand wouldn't say how much the feature will cost Ford, but he said it's less than the retail cost of the small convex blind-spot mirrors that many drivers attach to their vehicles.
Ford said its blind-spot mirror will weather the elements better than aftermarket offerings, and it also is specifically designed for each car or truck model to provide an optimized field of view. The factory-installed mirror also meets a federal standard that requires original-equipment driver's side mirrors to be flat.

· Registered
18,870 Posts
Re: Ford adding blind-spot mirror to Edge this fall (SAPJetta)

Quote, originally posted by SAPJetta »
Wouldn't want people to have to turn their head......and cough

· Registered
'22 Maverick. '03 9-3, '67 Fairlady
23,718 Posts

Wouldn't want people to have to turn their head......

But it does make for a quick sanity check. I have them on my cars, and sometimes I just like to do a quick check to make sure I've been keeping track of where everyone is, and I didn't miss that Miata that snuck in under the radar. For lane changes, I still do a sholder twist.

· Chili Bigot
(boop/ bop/ beep)
23,688 Posts

If people would just set their mirrors correctly in the first place, they wouldn't have to buy this new feature, or turn their heads.
I guess some folks just really, really like to look at the side of their car while driving.

· Premium Member
80 Rabbit, 80 Maplebar, 81 Rabbit, 04 ZHP
4,483 Posts
Re: Ford adding blind-spot mirror to Edge this fall (Seabird)

Quote, originally posted by Seabird »

If people would just set their mirrors correctly in the first place, they wouldn't have to buy this new feature, or turn their heads.
I guess some folks just really, really like to look at the side of their car while driving.

How does one set the mirrors for no blind spot? My CRX has some nasty ones(of my own creation) and would love to know if I can see more out of my mirrors.

· Registered
181 Posts
Re: Ford adding blind-spot mirror to Edge this fall (Seabird)

Quote, originally posted by Seabird »

Man you must have a good field of vision.

· Registered
2020 Mercedes A250 4Matic
18,143 Posts

Well, when you're turning your head, you're not looking where you're going.

· Registered
4,239 Posts
Re: Ford adding blind-spot mirror to Edge this fall (Hajduk)

Quote, originally posted by Hajduk »

Well, when you're turning your head, you're not looking where you're going.

but you're looking at where you will be going...
are you seriously trying to argue why people shouldn't check their blind spot?
and how would you fix your mirrors to not have a blindspot o_O you must either drive a car with one of those split mirrors or your asian with a 270* field of vision...

· Chili Bigot
(boop/ bop/ beep)
23,688 Posts
Re: Ford adding blind-spot mirror to Edge this fall (monoaural)

Quote, originally posted by monoaural »

How does one set the mirrors for no blind spot? My CRX has some nasty ones(of my own creation) and would love to know if I can see more out of my mirrors.

This will take a moment to type so someone may beat me to it...
While parked, sit in a relaxed position in the driver's seat and turn your head to look directly into the rear view mirror. Try to view it in the same angle as you would while driving normally (gangsta leanas need not apply, yo). Find two reference points behind you on both the right and left edge of the mirror. Say a parking sign, tree, another car, etc. Once those two points have been fixed in your field of view, rotate the left side view mirror outward until the leftmost point of reference in the rear view mirror comes into view.
Basically, you want a slight overlap. Say the point of reference is a parking sign. You want to be able to face forward and see the parking sign on the outermost edge of the rearview mirror and the innermost edge of the left side mirror at the same time.
Do the same thing with the point of reference on the right side mirror. This will feel a little unnatural at first, and it will take some time to trust yourself. But once you get used to it, you'll realize that you'll never have to twist your head around to check your blindspot while traveling in a forward direction ever again.
The only downside for me is that you can't really use your side mirrors while backing up. It's kind of pain getting out of tight space. Still, I'd rather twist my head and neck around while backing up in a parking lot at slow speeds, than to twist around while hurtling forward at freeway speeds.
EDIT: Response to some of the subsequent posters... You kiddies need some remedial driver's ed.
"Oh gosh, why won't the technology gods save us with lane warning alerts and blind spot radar devices???"
Anyway, you don't have to believe me.
http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~gdgu...t.htm

Modified by Seabird at 2:47 PM 8-6-2008

· Registered
39,421 Posts
Re: Ford adding blind-spot mirror to Edge this fall (leaftye)

Quote, originally posted by leaftye »
Wow, amazing technologies. It looks like its high def.

I wonder if it will work with standard glasses, or if you'll need to wear HD sunglasses to get the full benefit.

· Registered
2020 Mercedes A250 4Matic
18,143 Posts
Re: Ford adding blind-spot mirror to Edge this fall (mkIVrflxsilver)

Quote, originally posted by mkIVrflxsilver »

are you seriously trying to argue why people shouldn't check their blind spot?

No. I'm saying its better to check your mirror than turn your head.

· Registered
18,870 Posts
Re: Ford adding blind-spot mirror to Edge this fall (Hajduk)

I kind of like blindspots. Sometimes I'll wait in a blindspot with my left foot over the brake pedal and my hand over the horn.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.