VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

481 - 499 of 499 Posts

·
Registered
18,414 Posts
I saw a red one on the road yesterday and had Ontario plates. Had more presence than a Model Y.

Maybe VIP test drive or Automotive Journalist?

·
Registered
45,954 Posts
Ford Motor team had to plead with Bill Ford to give back not-yet-released Mustang

Bill Ford was given a prototype of the not-yet-released 2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E to drive in early October and he didn't want to give it back. He asked for an extension. The design and production teams had to plead for the return of the all-electric SUV from the company's executive chairman, known for his love of the classic Mustang.

"We had had to pry it out of his hands," Hau Thai-Tang, chief product development officer at Ford, told the Free Press.

Ford has a lot at stake with its first foray into the battery-electric vehicles scene that has been defined by Tesla Inc., a Wall Street darling that dominates the highly lucrative California market of nearly 40 million people and its billions of dollars in spending power.

"The vehicle is a game changer," Ford CEO Jim Farley told the Free Press. "For me, the Mach-E is the first true competitor with Tesla. It's got Detroit swagger. It's a Mustang. Tesla is not a Mustang."

Ford is scheduled to deliver the first Mach-E vehicles to customers before the end of the year. These hot new SUVs won't fill dealerships; they'll be made to order. In the first year, Ford is expecting to build an estimated 50,000 globally.

This was the first time Ford had ever launched a product through a reservation process, anticipating intense demand.

"We'll start to launch at the end of the year. We're just entering early mass production now, where we start to build the Mustang Mach-E's in volume," Farley said.

"We're not ramping up that curve and making hundreds a day," he said. "We're literally building Mach-E's right now and building a lot but in lower volumes. We'll build them and test them and make sure they're perfect. We'll sort out every problem. Once we're satisfied we've got every problem solved, then we turn on the light switch and go into job one."

No one can say precisely the date cars will be delivered to customers because it all depends on preproduction quality testing and review.

Demand for all-electric vehicles is coming primarily from Norway, California and the Sunbelt now, he said.

In California, drivers in an electric vehicle are allowed to take an express lane that can slash commute time. This is a key reason for the appeal in California, which has taken dramatic measures to combat air quality issues that can trigger asthma attacks and require elderly people and schoolchildren to remain indoors.
Ford F-150 + Mach-E

Ashley Valletta, general manager and vice president of The Ford Store Morgan Hill, located just south of San Jose, said the demand for electric cars is insatiable. "Tesla has just gone crazy in northern California and the Bay Area in general." In her market area, the leading brands are Toyota, Honda, Tesla and Ford — in that order. Ford has just 6.5% of the industry and Tesla outsells Ford by the thousands.

"We see the Mach-E as being a competitor to Tesla," she said. "We have a bunch of people who have Ford F-150s and SUVs and they need a commuter that's all-electric."

So far, 50 orders are pending with more in the pipeline, Valletta said.

Silicon Valley is filled with early adopters who pride themselves on having the first of everything, from the latest iPhone to the latest electric car. The Mach-E showing on Oct. 19 in Morgan Hill attracted a crowd of young influentials eager to get a glimpse.

·
Registered
10,422 Posts
That sounds like a good sign, at least

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
You know what's a great sign for future Fords (in my opinion)?

That article is about three true car guys (Jim Farley, Bill Ford, Hau Thai Tang) calling the shots on product development, and it's showing in some of the new vehicles about to hit the market: Bronco, Bronco Sport, Mach E, and Maverick. They've all got that "want to drive" factor that just isn't there in the current product mix, and pinning Tesla on the wall and outwardly going directly after them is hopefully going to churn out some very competitive and desirable products :thumbup:

·
Registered
45,954 Posts

That article is about three true car guys (Jim Farley, Bill Ford, Hau Thai Tang) calling the shots on product development, and it's showing in some of the new vehicles about to hit the market: Bronco, Bronco Sport, Mach E, and Maverick. They've all got that "want to drive" factor that just isn't there in the current product mix, and pinning Tesla on the wall and outwardly going directly after them is hopefully going to churn out some very competitive and desirable products :thumbup:
Totally forgot about the new, small Ford pickup.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Much like the election, hard to believe this car is actually arriving. Along with the Polestar and ID4, I’ll start developing regret for my model 3 purchase just before the pandemic.

·
Registered
2020 Mercedes A250 4Matic
17,991 Posts

·
Registered
44,325 Posts

That article is about three true car guys (Jim Farley, Bill Ford, Hau Thai Tang) calling the shots on product development, and it's showing in some of the new vehicles about to hit the market: Bronco, Bronco Sport, Mach E, and Maverick. They've all got that "want to drive" factor that just isn't there in the current product mix, and pinning Tesla on the wall and outwardly going directly after them is hopefully going to churn out some very competitive and desirable products 👍
🍺 When car guys run the show it's almost always a good thing for the enthusiast.

·
Registered
34,866 Posts
The efficiency is not that good, but it is an AWD SUV.
From what I've read, the automakers have a certain amount of leeway for what they publish versus what the precise scores were - that Tesla seems to list the absolute legal limit highest scores they can for EVs and many other automakers are taking a bit more conservative approach to what range figure and MPGe numbers they list versus what they're allowed to list. That might be the case here. Still, 270 miles is great range for a high performance EV CUV.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Saw a barebones example on the road yesterday, heads-on and side profile. At first, it looked like a redesigned Focus but slightly nicer. It definitely needs nicer wheels and optional body cladding like the picture a few posts up because the base model doesn't have as good EV presence as some other companies like Tesla Y.
I want Ford to succeed in this. Don't know if they will if they keep clinging on to 'Detroit swagger' but we'll see.

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
From what I've read, the automakers have a certain amount of leeway for what they publish versus what the precise scores were - that Tesla seems to list the absolute legal limit highest scores they can for EVs and many other automakers are taking a bit more conservative approach to what range figure and MPGe numbers they list versus what they're allowed to list. That might be the case here. Still, 270 miles is great range for a high performance EV CUV.
That's correct. EPA allows car companies to use an estimate to derive the MPGe numbers and Tesla definitely pushes its numbers to the limit.

I think Ford is being very conservative. They did the same with Transit EV giving an EPA range estimate that is about 70% lower than WLTP estimate. I suspect Mach E may exceed the EPA range easily like Porsche Taycan is doing in real life.

Also, it has also been confirmed the less powerful RWD single motor extended range Mach E has official 300 mile range; vs. the 270 miles for AWD dual motor version.

·
Registered
45,954 Posts
That's correct. EPA allows car companies to use an estimate to derive the MPGe numbers and Tesla definitely pushes its numbers to the limit.
I would say so.

481 - 499 of 499 Posts