VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Man, as someone who inherited a 1996 Ford Contour as their first car, this comment brought back a wave of nostalgia. I hated that car at the time, but in retrospect, the 2.5 DOHC motor made it a great little car. Except, of course, for those goddamn cup holders that broke in like 2000 and I never thought to fix because they were so freaking fragile. :D
I kinda liked the contour and didnt get the hate it felt quite a bit "euro" as the busy dash was just like the mondeo and the 2.5 duratec had a nice exhaust note

Nearly any F250 350 has its emblem turned into chrome :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
This is a Ford scourge and not just Edge - pretty much everything Ford. Worst offenders are the trucks/SUV's with the big grilles and badges, guess I can't say I have noticed it on any of their smaller offerings (Focus, Fusion, Escape).

Another badge plastic delaminating fantastic are Mercedes-Benz wheel center caps - they just decide one day they are done and you are left with a shiny chrome center cap with just a little hint of an embossed star.

IIRC, this is because in an effort to be more environmentally friendly, they switched the paint for the badges from solvent-based to water-based. I think the first generation of the water-based paint wasn't as durable.
These aren't painted badges - what happens here is the plastic part (lens?) falls off and takes all the blue foil bits with it leaving just a slab of dull chrome.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
had a 2007 fusion and the emblemb in the grill got rid of the blue stuff with a strong soapy wash.
Had a 2017? f150 and it did too both frront and rear.
is just a matter of bad quality paint? blue stuff on the badge.
of course it should last for a lifetime specially if you market your brand as tough and the failing part is your logo on every single car you sell.

·
Registered
9,146 Posts
The emblem still looks fine on my '95 Ford, but maybe they used different materials back then?

On a similar theme, every other Accord from this generation that I come across has one non-functioning LED light strip.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts