VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can not get my mind off it. It is a cool looking SUV and yet it will do 35-40 MPG. I am going crazy.... over it. I would rather drive that then a diesel. I am so confused

article from autonet.ca
Who says an SUV has to be a gas-guzzler? Not Ford; the automaker is getting ready to produce a hybrid gas-electric version of its Escape SUV.

The Escape is the first "true, no-compromise" hybrid SUV, Ford says, with the vehicle combining cargo carrying capacity and off-road capability with the fuel economy and lowered emissions of a "full" hybrid system.

A hybrid vehicle uses both a gas engine and an electric motor to power the car. The gas engine accommodates cruising speeds, while the electric motor powers low-speed driving, such as in-city, stop-and-go traffic. By using both power sources, a hybrid vehicle is more fuel-efficient and less polluting than a regular gasoline engine.

Ford says its Escape Hybrid is a "full" hybrid system, which means it can drive on electric power alone thanks to its relatively large 300-volt nickel-metal-hydride battery. The Escape's hybrid drivetrain is made up of a 2.3 litre four-cylinder engine linked to a 65kW electric motor, 28-kW generator, and the drive wheels.

This hybrid system also cuts emissions with its stop/start feature (the engine automatically cuts out when idling and then starts up immediately when needed). The electric motor assists the gas engine when accelerating or passing and when maximum acceleration is needed. Energy is recovered during braking. Because it's a "full" hybrid system, the gas engine may be shut off as much as 40 per cent of the time during city driving.

Ford says the Escape Hybrid achieves a fuel consumption of 35-40 miles per gallon (about 6.7 - 5.9 litres per 100 km), and nearly a 50 per cent reduction in carbon dioxide emissions in city driving. It also still produces an acceleration performance similar to the regular Escape V6 engine, which puts out 201 horsepower but has a fuel consumption of 9.4 - 13.1litres/100 km.

From the outside, the Escape Hybrid looks much like its traditional combustion-engined counterparts. Differentiating it from production Escape models are 18-inch, 8-spoke alloy wheels; a new front fascia with integrated stylized skid plate and circular fog lamps; quad headlamps and silver honeycomb grille insert. Hybrid graphics with Ford’s road-and-leaf logo also distinguish the Hybrid. The rearmost window on the left side is split to accommodate an air extractor for the cooled hybrid battery pack that resides beneath the load floor.

Inside, this Escape Hybrid is trimmed in light ivory leather with leather-and-sisal woven inserts in the seats and door panels. The floor mats also are made from natural woven material. The leather-wrapped steering wheel frames chrome-ringed, satin-white gauges showing the state of the hybrid battery. The tachometer includes an area indicating electric-only mode when the engine is temporarily switched off to save fuel.

A new centre console with a leather-wrapped floor-mounted shifter is featured. A single liquid-crystal display in the centre console serves as the audio system interface, a navigation system and a real-time "power path" visual indication of the operating state of the hybrid system. It shows, for example, if the battery is being charged or discharged, if the vehicle is recovering energy during braking or if the electric drive is providing additional power. A painted ivory bezel surrounds the LCD screen.

Cargo capacity and off-road capability in the Hybrid are equal to the base Escape.

Originallyintroduced at the 2003 New York International Auto Show, the Ford Escape Hybrid SUV is destined to arrive in Canadian showroom mid to late September 2004. Ford Canada expects to sell 700 units to the end of 2004, and 2,000 annually. The initial rollout is nationwide, with emphasis on BC, and the Windsor to Montreal corridor.

All dealers will be able to sell the vehicle, but Ford Canada is requiring special training and investment in order to effectively satisfy consumer requirements.

Pricing is yet to be announced, but we expect it will carry the traditional 30 percent premium over a comparable conventional model, which would put it in the $36,500 range

Modified by blood red GTI at 10:26 AM 5-18-2004

Modified by blood red GTI at 10:27 AM 5-18-2004

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Re: Ford escape Hybrid (blood red GTI)

I think the questions to ask are who designed and manufactured Ford's hybrid system, and has this system's reliability been proven in another vehicle yet? Personally I'd be really leery of being a guinea pig for new complex electronic stuff from Ford. It would be different if they are using a Bosch system with a known track record. I'd stay the hell away for the first three years.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Re: Ford escape Hybrid (climacus)

I would agree that the first few years of this new hybrid could be a rocky one. One thing, though. You might want to get the real picture on hybrids. I am not trying to knock them...I think they are a good idea, but they may not be exactly what you are expecting.
http://www.wired.com/news/auto..._top5
Just trying to give you info on this. Like I said, the hybrids are great, but if that story is right, it might be a while before you recover the cost of the hybrid in gas savings.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I am waiting for hydrogen cars in about 8-10 years...they are really something. The prices are expected to be competitive, and the only waste product is water. Eventually they plan to have a machine that runs your whole house of hydrogen and then your car gets charged from it...sounds great, but just the same I am not holding my breathe!l

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
Re: Ford escape Hybrid (Toronto Vento)

Quote, originally posted by Toronto Vento »
I would agree that the first few years of this new hybrid could be a rocky one. One thing, though. You might want to get the real picture on hybrids. I am not trying to knock them...I think they are a good idea, but they may not be exactly what you are expecting.
http://www.wired.com/news/auto..._top5
Just trying to give you info on this. Like I said, the hybrids are great, but if that story is right, it might be a while before you recover the cost of the hybrid in gas savings.

that's ridiculous.. the advertised fuel economy numbers that all the hybrid ads boast about come from a computer simulation !? anyone who knows engineering or even a little bit about machinery knows that there are parasitic loses and other variables that cause an given machine not to operate at 100% theoretical effeciency, ever. if i was a hybrid driver who didn't take the time to research ACTUAL fuel economy numbers for these cars... i would be livid.

·
Registered
21,846 Posts
Re: Ford escape Hybrid (Tanner74)

I never thought I'd hear the words/acronyms "Fuel Efficient", "Hybrid" and "SUV" in the same sentence.
Just on a sidenote, what's the typical MPG of a non-TDi VW Diesel, like a MK2 Turbo Diesel? How does that compare to a Prius?
- dac

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
Re: Ford escape Hybrid (Big Dac With Fries)

only 630km which is WAY too low. i changed the far-overdue rear tires and bad rims last night and that will help i'm sure... once i replace the shaky ball joint and get an alignment i'm hoping for 800km. thats mostly city with a heavy foot since i just can't seem to stop flooring it!

but even with it not getting as much milage as it should, it still beats my old 4 cylinder gas beater by about half the cost so i'm not complaining!

·
Registered
6,979 Posts

Might be something to lease. Wouldn't want to be owning it when it comes time to replace the battery packs...

Mileage will depend on your driving habits.

·
Banned
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Ford escape Hybrid (jetta paul)

Quote, originally posted by jetta paul »
ford? shouldn't that explain it?

I have leased a ford in the past it was the explorer, with no bad things to say, in fact they treated my with respect every time I brought it in for repairs and even when they had the tire problem with Firestone ( which was firestone's problem not ford's) they replaced all the tires with my choice and for free.
I even had an issue once with the paint job, and they covered that under warranty too.
so I am not sure when people refer to it as a ford what they mean?, when I hear ford I think great service and product.
One time I complained that they scratched my interior and they not only replaced the part they scratched during service, but when I picked up the truck there was a complementary sony playstation in the back for my troubles.

·
Registered
6,631 Posts

Quote, originally posted by blood red GTI »
One time I complained that they scratched my interior and they not only replaced the part they scratched during service, but when I picked up the truck there was a complementary sony playstation in the back for my troubles.

lol. are you a) drunk or b) full of shti?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Re: (vwmattsmith)

Quote, originally posted by vwmattsmith »
I am waiting for hydrogen cars in about 8-10 years...they are really something. The prices are expected to be competitive, and the only waste product is water. Eventually they plan to have a machine that runs your whole house of hydrogen and then your car gets charged from it...sounds great, but just the same I am not holding my breathe!l

Hydrogen is another one of those interesting things. People look at the end of pipe, and see water coming out, therefore no polution. Well, you have to kinda look at the whole thing. Again, I think that hydrogen cars are a step in the right direction, but in no way are they zero when it comes to polution. Maybe out of the tailpipe, but all of a sudden electricity demands will go through the roof to crack water into hydrogen in the first place. Nukes aren't all over the country, so power generation will produce plenty of polution. Plus, electricity will probably be at a premium, so everything else will cost more. Like any technology, there are good and bad points.
Diesel is good, but it has it's bad points too. Biodiesel is better than petrolium diesel, but agian, has it's bad points. Hydrogen power would be great if we could become more efficient at harnessing solar or wind or something. Some kind of power generation with no emissions.

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
Re: (Toronto Vento)

water and wind. if we wanted (and were financially willing to put systems into place)... water and wind are all we'd ever need to generate enough power.

·
Banned
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: Ford escape Hybrid (itchyG60)

Quote, originally posted by itchyG60 »

lol. are you a) drunk or b) full of shti?

no, but I am sure you are both.
why should I be responsible for damaged they created.
what benefit would I have to be full sh!t like you? none.

·
Registered
6,631 Posts

do you have any basis for any of your comments? i however do... if you think we're going to believe that ford gave you a playstation because they nicked one of your plastic interior pieces, you're obviously much less intelligent than even your most memorable posts here let on.
i'm gonna go take a ****.. and grab another beer http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 20 of 37 Posts