VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ford F150 4.9L Inline 6 4X4

Ford F150 4.9L Inline 6 4X4
I'm just looking for an education on this motor and truck. I've got a line on a 96 Model with decent miles well within what I'd be looking to spend on a truck used only for occasional work and light towing. It drives very nice for a PU Truck, it sort of changed what I thought I could afford to get. The last PU truck I owned was a Dodge Dakota and the thing rattled, broke, wandered all over the road and was over-all a pain in my ass. Then again I paid like 500$ for it and drove the snot out of it. The F150 drove smooth and straight and had virtually no rattles or questionable performance at approx 110K Miles. Not bad, but I'm sure someone in here has had experience with one of these. Thanks in advance. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by Volkscience at 1:48 PM 6-24-2005

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
I don't think the 4.9L is a V-6, but rather an I-6. There was a V-6 used in some of the full size trucks, but I don't think it was a 4.9L.
If it is the 4.9L I-6: Basically the definition of bulletproof. Also easy to work on. Also cheap to work on. Also torquey as hell. The F-150 is a great truck, too, so you can't lose.

·
Registered
9,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: (Uranium235)

Bah, you are correct, let me fix that V into a Inline in the original post. Thanks for the info. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif I didn't even look under the hood of the thing but I'm glad to hear it's a reliable truck. That's what I'm looking for, minimal cost outside regular maintenence and it will be my only vehicle in the Winter months.

Modified by Volkscience at 1:50 PM 6-24-2005

·
Registered
11,052 Posts
This is 2nd hand knowledge, but my college roommate has a fleet in his family's construction biz. He told me those engines were among the best ever for them, they loved them.
Most would last 250k hard construction site miles with at most one minor rebuild.
Take it FWIW.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Re: Ford F150 4.9L V6 4X4 (Volkscience)

300 inliner..
best motor to come out of the blue oval IMO.
[email protected] 3200rpm
265lb/[email protected]
in the EFI's. definatly not a rever, but you dont need to here.
it's a gem, it may not be the fastest thing out there, but it's got torque where it matters.
they routinely go 500K if maintained decently.
some inliners suffer from having EGR's that are too large. they can tend to stumble around 1500rpm. mine has this symptom. but a quick fix restrictor plate or simply unplugging the vacume line to the egr solves it.
96's still have dual tanks and will still have the possibility of selector valve issues. basicly the front tank fills the back tank. it was a recall item.
if you have a manual transmission, you will have the Mazda sourced M5OD-R2 which is an OK transmission except for the rubber shift plugs that dry up alnd allow leakage. mine leaks, but slowley. just make sure to put in ATF, not gear oil. if it's an E4OD then look out for slamshift. basicly hard shifting issues.
other than the transmission and fuel issues, they are great and personally my favorite generation of F series.

·
Registered
9,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Ford F150 4.9L V6 4X4 (corpsedub)

Yes, the truck I looked at has the dual gas tanks. It was really clean, I was surprised, even had a nice fiberglass bed cover thing all color matched and lock-able and a solid looking aftermarket bedliner underneath. Thanks for the info, looks like I've got a winner. I looked at similar year Pick Ups for Chevy and Dodge... Dodge had like nothing even worth looking at and they Chevy's all looked like they'd been to hell and back. The thing is $3800, I'm going to offer $3500 and go up from there. It's got approx 110K miles on it, even has a 3 month old inspection sticker so I know it will pass emissions and all. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.