VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Rejoining the VWVortex Community - Please review the following thread: Here

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I lay awake at night, I think a lot. One of the thoughts I often go back to is "how big can screens get before they are ****ing ridiculous?"

This big. Ford has shown us with the Edge/Nautilus updates.

12" in the Edge, BULGING out of the center console:

13.2" in the Nautilus:

We have transcended the tablet and moved to the laptop. Amazingly, I think this Ford setup may wind up being worse than the awful stuff they had going about 10 years ago :facepalm:

·
Registered
736 Posts
You guys haven’t seen the Dodge Ram screen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
12,413 Posts
Aesthetically they're not the best, but I feel in practice, your eyes easily get used to it. Also, as I'm now in my mid 40s and my eyes elasticity is diminishing rapidly, it's nice having larger icons on infotainment screens.

I do think designs like Audi's where they've basically broken up the large single tablet into two separate piece is a nicer aesthetic. It does prevent you from using the large screen as one giant map, but personally I don't care much for that.

If limited to having screens only, I prefer having more screens, which are more strategically placed, with dedicated functions, like we see on the new Cadillac Escalade, although I didn't dislike the Model 3's single do-it-all screen when I drove one.

·
Premium Member
7,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can hardly blame Ford when Tesla was doing this, like, a decade ago on the Model S.

Tesla came to mind after I hit submit, but **** it. I'll take the L

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
When I lay awake at night, I think a lot. One of the thoughts I often go back to is "how big can screens get before they are ****ing ridiculous?"
I think we've reached that point already. And I don't get why people are going after larger and larger screens. Mine is usually off or used as a clock. Why would I need a 13.2" clock.

·
Premium Member
Vermonter ~ '20 Si Sedan – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
35,512 Posts
I agree that some of these screens look ridiculously large. Tesla started the trend and I’m not a fan.

The Prius Prime has an available 11.6” screen which is just massive in such a small car.

The Ram’s have a 12” Uconnect screen option.

At least in the full size trucks it doesn’t look as out of proportion.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Give me real, tactile controls over a touch screen any day. My buddy got a Model Y last week and I rode in it briefly a couple days ago. "Hey man, the heat is blowing in my face, how the h*** do I aim the vents?" He proceeds to hit a couple buttons on the screen where you literally have to drag and aim the vents using your finger, while driving. Need to use your wipers? Yeah that's another one or two menus on the touch screen, no wiper stalk here. :screwy:

·
Registered
Double wishbone majiggy
1,105 Posts
Give me real, tactile controls over a touch screen any day. My buddy got a Model Y last week and I rode in it briefly a couple days ago. "Hey man, the heat is blowing in my face, how the h*** do I aim the vents?" He proceeds to hit a couple buttons on the screen where you literally have to drag and aim the vents using your finger, while driving. Need to use your wipers? Yeah that's another one or two menus on the touch screen, no wiper stalk here. :screwy:
The worst thing is, its not like these big brands have made the controls like this for schiets and giggles.

These manufacturers must have been running focus groups which had surveyed people, and then came to the conclusion that a majority of their vehicle buyers look at on-screen controls to aim vents and said.

"Hmmm... Touch screen... Thats a great idea..."

Truly boggles the mind. I am often left wondering just how far these brands will swing before they eventually double-back and start making things simple again. It's gotta happen eventually, right?

·
Registered
24,964 Posts
I actually think Ford was very restrained with only putting out a modest size screen. Not really seeing a problem here.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
That's the main reason I would not consider a Tesla. It's mind blowing how these ideas even leave the design stage. It's as if they only interacted with the interior at a desk and never tested while driving.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I think we've reached that point already. And I don't get why people are going after larger and larger screens. Mine is usually off or used as a clock. Why would I need a 13.2" clock.
Because it is safer to operate a vehicle while you intake the vast amount of functionalities at a glance. The larger area allows optimal spread for each key and the incremental adjustability of most features. This leads to a lower % of human distraction as a byproduct leading from the first human error.

In a breeze, we are a bunch of dummies swooshing around in metallic canisters, and whatever can help our case of hardened stupidity is great.

·
Registered
982, F22, E88, etc.
4,726 Posts
I'm honestly fine with the screen, but I want to say thank you for saying 'jumped the shark'. As a Happy Days fan growing up watching Nick At Nite, I use that now and then and almost every time I do everyone is like:

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Because it is safer to operate a vehicle while you intake the vast amount of functionalities at a glance. The larger area allows optimal spread for each key and the incremental adjustability of most features. This leads to a lower % of human distraction as a byproduct leading from the first human error.

In a breeze, we are a bunch of dummies swooshing around in metallic canisters, and whatever can help our case of hardened stupidity is great.
I agree that having a right sized (i.e. larger) screen helps when looking at a glance and hitting the right "button" but these large screens are often replacing physical HVAC controls. We have far better muscle memory for a physical button or knob rather than a screen.

While I get and appreciate screens for infotainment purpose (radio, navigation & settings), they require far more information to be displayed and you can't realistically replace it with physical buttons. With HVAC, they aren't adding many (or if any) functions.

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
The worst thing is, its not like these big brands have made the controls like this for schiets and giggles.

These manufacturers must have been running focus groups which had surveyed people, and then came to the conclusion that a majority of their vehicle buyers look at on-screen controls to aim vents and said.

"Hmmm... Touch screen... Thats a great idea..."

Truly boggles the mind. I am often left wondering just how far these brands will swing before they eventually double-back and start making things simple again. It's gotta happen eventually, right?
It did happen - Sync3 is a lot easier than MyFord/MyLincoln Touch and Cadillac has come a long way since CUE in 2013.

Keep in mind that the screen-adjusted vents example is a Tesla, which means they're an outlier. Tesla doesn't really do focus groups. They also have a very strong "techy" design aesthetic that winds up equating to having next to no physical controls. And not having switches saves money for the always-struggling-for-cashflow automaker.

No other car company has gone to the same extreme as Tesla. I consult for several car companies - while their stylists have similar ambitions (often fed by "look what Tesla's doing"), their engineers and focus groups typically swing production designs back to simple-ish.

·
24,907 Posts
wait until you see the donkey they are putting in the facelift expedition/navigator

thing is, as ridiculous as they look, it's not stopping anyone from buying them.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts