VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Rejoining the VWVortex Community - Please review the following thread: Here

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
Double wishbone majiggy
1,105 Posts
Tesla info.
Ah, I see i see. That's a point of view.

Never even crossed my mind that much of Tesla's screen interface was largely to save money. It's kind of brilliant, if I'm being frank, albeit pretty cumbersome

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Give me real, tactile controls over a touch screen any day. My buddy got a Model Y last week and I rode in it briefly a couple days ago. "Hey man, the heat is blowing in my face, how the h*** do I aim the vents?" He proceeds to hit a couple buttons on the screen where you literally have to drag and aim the vents using your finger, while driving. Need to use your wipers? Yeah that's another one or two menus on the touch screen, no wiper stalk here. :screwy:
Blame the manufacturers, not the tech. I love these big high res displays, but that doesn't mean these stupid OEMs should just throw ever control operation in them.

·
Registered
2013 Volt
8,849 Posts
Give me real, tactile controls over a touch screen any day. My buddy got a Model Y last week and I rode in it briefly a couple days ago. "Hey man, the heat is blowing in my face, how the h*** do I aim the vents?" He proceeds to hit a couple buttons on the screen where you literally have to drag and aim the vents using your finger, while driving. Need to use your wipers? Yeah that's another one or two menus on the touch screen, no wiper stalk here. :screwy:
Mechanical vents: you "drag and aim the vents"
Model 3/Y vents: you "drag and aim the vents" on screen, except you can reach all of them at the same distance rather than in multiple places on the dash.

Need to use your wipers? You hit the the stalk (yes, there is a wiper stalk function there) for a quick wipe. Otherwise it's *automatic* with rain sensing. If you want to manually set the wipers to on/off/low/high you can do that with your right fingertips without your hand leaving the wheel (in the Model 3 at least), without even really having to look.

Blame the manufacturers, not the tech. I love these big high res displays, but that doesn't mean these stupid OEMs should just throw ever control operation in them.
Doesn't mean they shouldn't, either.

·
Registered
2013 Volt
8,849 Posts
That's the main reason I would not consider a Tesla. It's mind blowing how these ideas even leave the design stage. It's as if they only interacted with the interior at a desk and never tested while driving.
It's as if a million people are interacting with Tesla interiors every day and are happy with them, and people who only see a few pictures are the ones actually talking ****.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I agree that having a right sized (i.e. larger) screen helps when looking at a glance and hitting the right "button" but these large screens are often replacing physical HVAC controls. We have far better muscle memory for a physical button or knob rather than a screen.

While I get and appreciate screens for infotainment purpose (radio, navigation & settings), they require far more information to be displayed and you can't realistically replace it with physical buttons. With HVAC, they aren't adding many (or if any) functions.

Mechanical vents: you "drag and aim the vents"
Model 3/Y vents: you "drag and aim the vents" on screen, except you can reach all of them at the same distance rather than in multiple places on the dash.

Need to use your wipers? You hit the the stalk (yes, there is a wiper stalk function there) for a quick wipe. Otherwise it's *automatic* with rain sensing. If you want to manually set the wipers to on/off/low/high you can do that with your right fingertips without your hand leaving the wheel (in the Model 3 at least), without even really having to look.

Doesn't mean they shouldn't, either.
I believe the current fad of eye-pleasing the consumer with large screens or motorized vent controls, we will indulge to a lack of need over necessity when all things do go fully autonomous. Till then I prefer manual HVAC's and low lit interiors.

·
Premium Member
7,612 Posts
Would it be exactly how I’d have designed it? No, not really.

But I didn’t find it objectionable enough to not open my wallet.

As others have said, the size does lend itself to an ease of navigation that’s just not possible with smaller screens. It honestly does look worse in photos than it does in person.

·
Premium Member
Vermonter ~ '20 Si Sedan – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
35,512 Posts
I'm honestly fine with the screen, but I want to say thank you for saying 'jumped the shark'. As a Happy Days fan growing up watching Nick At Nite, I use that now and then and almost every time I do everyone is like:

I’m old, that used to be my favorite tv show. I remember watching the Fonzie waterskiing ep on first run television. In black and white. I was six.

·
Registered
34,271 Posts
How the heck do you drive around at night with one of those glaring at you? :screwy:

I hope you can turn them off.

·
Premium Member
7,612 Posts
How the heck do you drive around at night with one of those glaring at you? :screwy:

I hope you can turn them off.

I was a little curious about how this would actually be myself. Grabbed this quickly while driving it home the other night.

It honestly falls away in person. It’s just enough out my line of sight that it’s not a distraction at all.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I love a large screen, but I prefer it be integrated into the dash. I am not a fan of the "we glued an iPad to the top of your dashboard" look.

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Ford needs to jump the ship on interior fit and finish. While theyre recent designs are attractive when looking up close some trim pieces look cheap up close and the lego fitment of some parts bugs me

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Big Screen For The Superbowl

Blame old people, focus groups and young people. They did this and now you tweeners are bitchin :laugh:

I'm going to guess that big screens will be a boon for sales. When comparison shopping, if the vehicle has a clearer, colorful, bigger display it will be a plus for some over the vehicle that they test drove earlier that had a smaller screen.

The fact that in actual use of both may be less user friendly than a traditional layout will be lost on many.

For safety and these big screens, if you can use these devices while driving without taking your eyes off the road for no more time than you do with a button dash, then I see no issue here. If functions are layered and require too many inputs then that's a problem.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
I figure we will unfortunately have screens in cars from here on out but for the love of all that is holy, lower them and integrate them into the dash instead of just having an obnoxious screen sitting up so high you have to look over it to drive.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts