VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
'21 Tacoma TRD-Offroad – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
37,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

• Ford plans to offer a new lineup of off-road-capable vehicles under the name Timberline, starting this summer with its Explorer SUV.
  • The 2021 Explorer Timberline, which the company unveiled Wednesday, features an updated exterior design, increased ground clearance and other off-road features.
  • The Explorer Timberland will start at $45,765, according to Ford.

·
Premium Member
'21 Tacoma TRD-Offroad – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
37,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Ford already has many names meant to indicate a rugged attitude—Tremor, Raptor, Bronco, Badlands—and the 2021 Ford Explorer is adding another to that list with its new Timberline trim level. This model includes a few mechanical upgrades and an outdoorsy appearance, with standard all-wheel drive, a lifted suspension, and all-terrain tires, among other features.
Looks-wise, the Timberline has a different grille, red tow hooks, front and rear skid plates, and 18-inch wheels. It’s also offered in a new Forged Green color, pictured here. There’s a bit of extra off-road capability in play thanks to the 0.8-inch suspension lift, retuned springs, Bridgestone Dueler all-terrain tires, and a Torsen limited-slip rear differential. Ford says the Timberline has the same upgraded shocks as the Police Interceptor version of the Explorer, but with different tuning meant for off-road use.
The interior features stone mesh dashboard trim, cloth inserts for the seats, and various Timberline logos that are shaped like a mountain range. Standard features include heated front seats and a heated steering wheel.

·
Registered
932 Posts
My first impression is good. It has ”outdoorsy” styling elements, but it isn’t overdone. :)

🍺

·
Registered
819 Posts
Is that a light bar, surrounding the grille logo?
Probably more running-light style then actual significant output.
It's hard to tell with the push bar, but the grille looks like the one from the Police Interceptor Utility, just with clear LEDs instead of the red/blue ones.

EDIT: the "wings" under the headlights are different on the interceptor, it may be the same mold insert that includes the spots for the LED.

·
Registered
7,174 Posts
I actually like it. It's a solid improvement over the other models' unfinished looks.

·
Registered
10,441 Posts
The offroad-y look of this definitely fits the general styling of the current Explorer much better than the ST. Pretty nice looking rig.
Spot on. I really love the look of the Explorer, and I know the ST can boogie. But it just doesn't look right. This looks more becoming of the body style.

hey boys! Look at the photos and videos of sexy girls - Lov - Meet New People, Find Love, Chat, Flirt
As we've learned from Jeep Trailhawks and Forester Sports, orange tow hooks and stripes are the keys to transforming your CUV from a bland suburban runabout to a contender for King of the Hammers.
TBH dude, I liked Joseph's post better.

·
Premium Member
7,945 Posts
Been watching this come along in the various Explorer groups. The final product is definitely better than some of the earlier camo'd prototypes running around, but I still can't get past the layer upon layer look of the front and rear cladding and the odd orange accents. The grille with 'aux lights' is definitely still pretty silly looking too.

I do really like that new green color though and those wheels - I could go for a set for winter use. Overall I think it's a nice looking go at a 'rugged' trim level that actually has some function. It's a far better addition than the useless new King Ranch trim.

·
Registered
20,254 Posts
This really needed a low-range transfer case to compete with the Grand Cherokee and 4Runner, IMO. Would have been relatively easy to do with the longitudinal powertrain.

·
Registered
2020 Civic Type R, 2014.5 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2018 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3 (work)
2,264 Posts
Looks good, but I was hoping for the ST motor to make a sort of Raptor-Lite version. Also not a huge fan of the LED nostrils in the grill.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts