VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
SC AW11, Mazda speed NB, 89 Skyline GTS-T 5M, 19 GLI 6M.
9,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://fordauthority.com/2020/05/ford-puma-not-coming-to-north-america-exclusive/

Baffling decision by Ford, the king of baffling decisions. The Puma is not only a competitive product among B-class crossovers (a hot segment on both sides of the ocean) it actually looks great. And the Ford Ecosport is one of the worst cars on the market today, particularly when you factor in value, it's junk-a Nissan Kicks blows it away. And it will be 10 years old soon for a vehicle designed for 3rd world markets..

The Ecosport will eventually have to be replaced being the sales flop that it is. Why wouldn't Ford import the Puma as it's logical replacement? Is this just typical Detroit gatekeeping good products away from American buyers, as they are known for?

·
Registered
9,317 Posts
Could be worse. As the case of VW refreshing the ~1000 units a month Passat, and having exactly zero entries into the hot subcompact crossover segment. *shrug*

·
Registered
13,676 Posts
Ford America want is American should buy F150...

·
Registered
9,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
Far East GLI
1,368 Posts
They ought to build them in Mexico, but I guess the plant there is already at capacity (ramping up for Mach-E), and then they got blocked by the Orange Guy for that second plant.

·
Registered
5,893 Posts
They probably have not been able to identify a plant were to share space. At the moment they might also have not decided to ship it over because it may be due for a refresh and it would not be a good investment to federalize it at the moment. Maybe they are trying to avoid another MK2 Focus, like when we were supposed to get the Volvo shared architecture and the 5 cylinder turbo and ended up with the refresh of the first gen. Only good thing that came out was the 2.3 but only for a year if I remember.

·
Premium Member
8,677 Posts
America is a banana republic, so a bifurcated lineup bookended by third world **** boxes like the Ecosport and 100K F150s feels sadly appropriate.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
'08 SAAB 9-3, '02 Golf, '66 Vespa
8,349 Posts
I don't know, the EcoSport has replaced the Focus as the fleet sales cars at my company and I think they're pretty decent little cars. As for the Puma, I can see why they would choose to sell a car that's already being built in Brazil to US specs rather than importing a similar model with no automatic option from Romania.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts

A couple more years and the original Puma will be okay for USA.

It is a very well regarded FWD coupe.

‘Ford was on a dynamic roll when it made the Puma, having already given us the Ka, Fiesta, Focus and Mondeo. They were all fine handling cars, but the Puma topped the lot. Technically, there’s little special about it, but the detailing is excellent: the taut yet supple damping, the slack-free steering, the snappy, accurate gearshift. The Puma instantly feels right, and proves wonderfully direct and agile, yet despite the brightness of its turn-in, the tail never really threatened to break away.

‘A car to make every driver feel skillful, observes Simister. It feels utterly foolproof and confidence inspiring, so you can go quickly in it straight away’.

:

https://www.evo.co.uk/ford/puma
The Puma Bullitt ad was pretty cool too.

·
Registered
30,252 Posts
This is Ford at their very best.

The Ecosport is not fit for domestic consumption, and overpriced given its third world roots, but that's what we get.

The Puma will be labeled as "too small" and "too expensive" for us.

·
Registered
23,882 Posts
That's a shame. The Puma is what they should have brought over in the first place and ignored the Ecosport. I enjoy smaller vehicles, and I was bummed when Ford went anti-car. At least having a decent CUV would't leave the small end of their lineup neglected. As it is, I think we'll see the Ecosport go away at some point, and Ford will proclaim that the US doesn't want a small CUV. No, we just don't want a cheaply built, overpriced afterthought that only serves to try to help their CAFE or some crazy thing.

I have nothing to add except that I really like that Puma in that blue.

(BoratVeryNice.jpg)

Vince
Agreed, that's a good color on that.

·
Registered
9,797 Posts
They probably have not been able to identify a plant were to share space. At the moment they might also have not decided to ship it over because it may be due for a refresh and it would not be a good investment to federalize it at the moment. Maybe they are trying to avoid another MK2 Focus, like when we were supposed to get the Volvo shared architecture and the 5 cylinder turbo and ended up with the refresh of the first gen. Only good thing that came out was the 2.3 but only for a year if I remember.
The Puma was brand new in 2019 - knowing Ford, it's not going to get a refresh until 2024. Since it's based on the B Global Platform (Fiesta) they could build it in Romania, China, or Turkey.

·
Registered
9,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Didnt know the ecosport is a flop

It is a cute uv just like the encore, small and pudgy
It's a lousy product for a myriad of reasons* and Ford has a proper B-segment CUV that would blow away the Chevy Trax.

*It's overweight. The Fiesta was 2500 lbs which was fine with the 1 liter turbo, the Ecosport is 3000-3360. Due to the weight overwhelming the engine, it gets lousy fuel economy for it's small size. Finally, it's overpriced for what is a near 10 year old car designed for developing markets. It just has zero redeeming merits to justify it, and Ford makes a good product that fits into a hot segment.

·
Registered
25,429 Posts
It's a lousy product for a myriad of reasons* and Ford has a proper B-segment CUV that would blow away the Chevy Trax.

*It's overweight. The Fiesta was 2500 lbs which was fine with the 1 liter turbo, the Ecosport is 3000-3360. Due to the weight overwhelming the engine, it gets lousy fuel economy for it's small size. Finally, it's overpriced for what is a near 10 year old car designed for developing markets. It just has zero redeeming merits to justify it, and Ford makes a good product that fits into a hot segment.
EcoSport is also nearly a foot shorter than everything in the segment due to being limited to 4 meters to comply with Indian regulations.

·
Registered
9,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I'd also like to point out that Ford is notorious for doing exactly this.

-The Taurus was revolutionary in 86. By 2000 it was an out of date fleet car, and they released the 3G Mondeo that year. It took until 2006 to get a variant of the Mondeo platform here, Mazda did in 2002. If you've driven both a M6 and Taurus, there is no comparison.

-Ford did the exact same thing with the Focus, rather than giving us the new C1 chassis 2G Focus to replace the successful but aging 1998 design, kept refreshing the old car until 2011. Again, Mazda responded with the contemporary and fun Mazda 3, on a variant of Ford's C1 platform.

The Powershift debacle was a poorly thought out and financially ruinous decision by Ford and is likely the largest reason that the Focus/Fiesta are gone from the US (the Focus Active would have had a conventional auto as does the Ecosport). You can't blame consumers and TCLers for that.

Considering the thuggish nature of the communist Chinese and their negligence/malfeasance in the Covid plague, I'm happy that the built in China Focus Active was cancelled, even if it would have been a decent product that Ford needed.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
While I have some questions about Ford's decision-making in recent years, I think they're probably right about this one. None of the Euro-centric mini crossovers have been very successful here. The Nissan Juke was replaced with a "developing country" model (Kicks) that seems to be a better fit for our market. Toyota C-HR may be going down a similar path. There just isn't that much market for premium products at the smaller end of the scale here, whether sedans or crossovers. In Europe, there are a lot of people who want a nice car that's also quite small by our standards, and are willing to pay for it.

The Ecosport is a fairly old model globally. I imagine there will be a next-gen that's more appropriate for our market. Ford needs to keep something in the "affordable" range to replace all the stuff they discontinued.

-Andrew L

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Could be worse. As the case of VW refreshing the ~1000 units a month Passat, and having exactly zero entries into the hot subcompact crossover segment. *shrug*
It cost VW a minimal amount of money to do so, and they keep an entry in that segment. It also sells far more than 1000 a month. The new model had barely hit dealers before corona so jury's still out on sales. But they do need a subcompact CUV, and I think they should also bring over the tig swb

As for Ford, they should just stick with F150's, Explorers, Expeditions, Excursions, and the Mustang for America. The rest is trash. Brother's 3 year old Escape has paint peeling already, what a joke the cheap Fords are...

1 - 20 of 45 Posts