VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

301 - 320 of 1825 Posts

·
How do I resize a picture?
18,092 Posts
The people complaining about IFS need not apply. It'll sell fine without them buying it.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
The Ford F150 Raptor has independent front suspension. That one seems to work pretty well off road. (So, for that matter, does the Ranger Raptor available elsewhere in the world.)

Lifting a wheel off the ground doesn't matter much if you can get past the obstacle anyhow, especially if it has some way of transferring torque to the other side, whether by locked diff or selectively applied brakes (which is generally how this situation is handled nowadays).

It will be fine ...

Want to know how I know you don't wheel?

·
Premium Member
Vermonter ~ '20 Si Sedan – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
35,891 Posts
There is exactly 1 new SUV sold with an SFA and that's the Wrangler (I don't count the 6-figure Gclass, ain't nobody wheeling those.

Land Rover, Toyota, and nearly every pickup even are IFS. IFS will do for 95% fo the wheeling that an already minuscule number of new SUV buyers will do.

SFA is great offroad if you are seriously rock crawling and getting very gnarly. If you are really wheeling gnarly, you are probably building your own truck, starting with something used, anyway. Or you are buying a Wrangler.

Ford, like Toyota, knows they can satisfy the offroad wants/needs of the vast majority of new 4x4 buyers with IFS while not compromising the on-road characteristics that 100% of those same new 4x4 buyers will utilize most of the time.

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
I TOTALLY grant that I am not an off-roader.

A locking diff means you get traction from the wheel that remains on the ground while the one that's in the air doesn't do anything.

The common-nowadays strategy of using the traction control to apply a brake to a spinning wheel, means you get traction from the wheel that remains on the ground.

And I UNDERSTAND that if you are seriously rock crawling and need 2 feet of suspension travel and lifted a foot higher than stock, the independent suspension is not going to work for you. (Heck, the stock axle locating linkage on a Wrangler is not going to work for you.) For those people, they will keep buying Wranglers. I am quite sure that Ford has done the math, and established that the IFS design is good enough for most people, (actually better for most people due to better on-road manners), and they are better off sacrificing the very small number of sales to the serious rock-crawler crowd in order to get more sales to the average person who might just go on a normal gravel road or pathway from time to time.

IFS works fine for Raptor, 4Runner, all of the half-ton pickups, etc. It will be fine here.

·
Premium Member
12,574 Posts
I TOTALLY grant that I am not an off-roader.

A locking diff means you get traction from the wheel that remains on the ground while the one that's in the air doesn't do anything.

The common-nowadays strategy of using the traction control to apply a brake to a spinning wheel, means you get traction from the wheel that remains on the ground.

And I UNDERSTAND that if you are seriously rock crawling and need 2 feet of suspension travel and lifted a foot higher than stock, the independent suspension is not going to work for you. (Heck, the stock axle locating linkage on a Wrangler is not going to work for you.) For those people, they will keep buying Wranglers. I am quite sure that Ford has done the math, and established that the IFS design is good enough for most people, (actually better for most people due to better on-road manners), and they are better off sacrificing the very small number of sales to the serious rock-crawler crowd in order to get more sales to the average person who might just go on a normal gravel road or pathway from time to time.

IFS works fine for Raptor, 4Runner, all of the half-ton pickups, etc. It will be fine here.
It's not just traction, and speaking of that, brake force "limited" slip is nothing near a true locking diff for when it's needed. The ability of a solid axle is that it will have more articulation than an independent will, in which case it will provide for much better stability in off-road situations. In the picture with the wheel up, perhaps the terrain isn't too tough. But imagine if it's a more hazardous obstacle, having a wheel lifted will make the vehicle much less table, and tipping or rolling can easily result. A better articulating system helps curtail that.

Then there's the general robustness of a solid axle that can't be easily duplicated with an IFS.

For desert running, and IFS is great and desirable, as you're doing higher speeds anyhow.

Nevertheless, I don't think an IFS is a bad idea from Ford's perspective. It will make the vehicle much more appealing to many, especially those who love the rugged looks of the Wrangler but don't use it anywhere near it's true off-road ability.

But I equally understand the frustration of those who wish there could have been a true competitor for the Wrangler, complete with a solid front.

·
Banned
243 Posts
Ford has dragged this model introduction out so long most everyone that wants one is bored with the idea and has been for years now.

That's what you get for hiring a low rent furniture salesman as CEO.

·
Registered
509 Posts
People get too emotional about renderings. Teaser shows round wheel wells, render squares then off... teaser shows more vertical windshield, render shows more angled. It’s for clicks and people get their panties in a wad over them

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
King of the Hammers winner Jason Scherer doesn't seem to have any problems with IFS.
I'm sure the new Bronco will have center mounted A arms and will be mid engine because they won't have enough room to mount the engine between the suspension arms. :screwy: KOH race winners have nothing to do with the factory suspension components. It will be the same crappy SLA front suspension everyone else uses.

The Blue Oval is planning to hold the worldwide premier of the 2021 Ford Bronco in April 2020 at the 2020 New York International Auto Show.
https://fordauthority.com/2020/01/2021-ford-bronco-to-debut-in-april-2020-exclusive/

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Aww man, bring on the ADMs. This thing is gonna be sick.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts

I hope this means they will have a cute outdoor badge system like Subaru! Sometimes there just aren't enough ways to let people know you are into disc golf.

·
Registered
44,362 Posts
You can't even get a GTI as a two-door from VW. What makes you think Ford would give us a two-door Bronco?
That was the initial rumor, plus there may be a single cab Ranger, so we’ll see. No, I’m not betting the farm on it, but it could be. :beer:

301 - 320 of 1825 Posts