VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

61 - 80 of 1825 Posts

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
That silhouette is extremely promising, Ford might really have nailed it and I really hope it looks like that red rendering. Top off or not, IDGAF. This really could be my next car depending on how it turns out, but so far it looks like they didn't F it up.:thumbup:

·
Registered
82,894 Posts

·
Registered
20,598 Posts

The more I think about this, the more I realize this is not for me.
If this thing really looks great.... people are going to be clamoring for them at first.
I am not paying a premium just to get a mainstream crossover earlier than my neighbor.

But I realize I am not the typical new car buyer.

/cheap bastid out
Mainstream crossover? Where?

·
Registered
82,894 Posts
Mainstream crossover? Where?

Sorry.... didn't mean to call the new Bronco a bad name.
I used crossover as an all encompassing "SUV-like thing" description.
It is a real SUV AFAICT, whatever that means today.

·
Registered
Evo 9 MR, Scion FR-S
667 Posts
That side profile reminds me of the Land Rover 90 front end - if it has the off-roading capability of a Jeep, this is going to be a winner. Fantastic renders have everyone's hopes up but Ford's exterior sheetmetal has been awesome in this last product cycle.

I wish GMC would get into this segment, also, but I doubt if the market can support 3 of these types of vehicles.
I don't know if the Chevy Blazer (or whatever GMC equivalent) ever had such a cult status. Also, why do you want more faulty-ignition-switch people-killer vehicles out there? :D The market though should definitely be able to support more vehicles - nobody's buying sedans, wagons and coupes compared to SUVs and trucks

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
That side profile reminds me of the Land Rover 90 front end - i
:facepalm:

Great. Just like all the dumb ****s who thought that electric Honda concept looked like a MkI Golf, when it CLEARLY looked only like an old Honda, now we'll have the same saying this Bronco looks like a Land Rover when it CLEARLY looks like an old Bronco.

Needs covered rear wheels though.

·
Registered
SC AW11, Mazda speed NB, 89 Skyline GTS-T 5M, 19 GLI 6M.
9,481 Posts
I don't know if the Chevy Blazer (or whatever GMC equivalent) ever had such a cult status. Also, why do you want more faulty-ignition-switch people-killer vehicles out there? :D The market though should definitely be able to support more vehicles - nobody's buying sedans, wagons and coupes compared to SUVs and trucks
Considering used car prices, 73-91 K5s definitely have more of a following than 80-96 Broncos. That being said the original Bronco supersedes any later bronco or K5, including the 67-72.

·
Banned
13,776 Posts

·
Registered
32,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
I love that the 2004 Bronco concept still looks so good that the 2018 Rampage movie is using it,

There's actually an interesting story behind that:

“As they were putting the movie together, the script called for them to use a Jeep,” says Craig Patterson, Ford’s SUV Marketing Manager. “But Dwayne Johnson is a huge Ford fan, and had worked with us previously doing advertising work for us for our Customer Service division. And he said, ‘I’d much rather use a Ford product here, and I know there’s a new Bronco coming out. Maybe I could use that?’”

If you’re The Rock, one of the highest-paid and most bankable actors in the world, it’s apparently that easy. You just make your vehicular wishes known, and they come true. Of course, there was one glitch. “We’re actually quite a ways from having a new Bronco available to do something with,” Patterson says.

As it happens, the forthcoming version of the iconic off-roader is not expected to go into production until 2020, and has not yet been unveiled. Fortunately, Ford had a solution. According to Patterson, the Hollywood studio team told Johnson, “We have a concept vehicle that we made for an auto show some time ago. And you could use that if you’re interested.”

This was a previous Bronco revival mockup, a block fantasy created way back in 2004. These chimeras are often crushed to save on storage costs, but this one was still lingering in a warehouse. “It had a lot of fans internally,” Patterson says. “So we kept it around hoping that we could build it someday.”

That truck was built on a rolling chassis, and capable of going around 30 mph, so when you see it moving in Rampage, it’s possible that it is doing so under its own power. We haven’t seen the movie yet, so we have no idea what kind of hijinks it or its drivers get up to, outside of what appears in the trailer. But an opportunity to see a one-off Bronco in a movie with Johnson is a good enough excuse for us to hit the multiplex this weekend.

Apparently, it’s a good enough excuse for Ford as well. “Bronco is a vehicle that, like Mustang, is iconic and cool,” Patterson says. “And so anything we can do to associate it with other things that are also iconic and cool, like The Rock, I think is beneficial to both of us.”

Of course, other more strategic considerations also had to be made. With a new Bronco design to be made public soon(ish), Ford wasn’t exactly seeking opportunities to show a 15-year-old concept, to avoid muddying consumer comprehension. “We wanted to make sure that people understood that this isn’t what’s coming for the next Bronco,” Patterson says. “That was kind of the only downside to it, that people would see it and say, ‘OK, that must be what the new Bronco’s going to be.’ And that’s not the case.”

Even with this limitation, the brand saw large potential upside to the partnership. “We thought it could help us from an overall branding perspective,” Patterson says. “As we announce the nameplate coming back, it could help us with awareness of it and build that anticipation for when we do have the new product.”

You shouldn’t feel manipulated by this placeholder insertion. You should feel excited. Remember, a new Bronco is coming! As for that old concept, borrowed by Warner Bros. for the filming, its fate is bit less clear. When we ask Patterson if the studio had returned the vehicle, he pauses. “I don’t think so yet. At least, not as far as I know.”
https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vi...ronco-concept-dwayne-the-rock-johnson-rampage

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
I just doubt that Ford put the kind of engineering time and development dollars into a topless SUV.

Jeep does it because they’ve always done it. Wrangler is a ground-up open top vehicle.

I’m sure the underpinnings of the Bronco are shared with other, existing, Ford vehicles.
Ranger. (Not quite "existing" yet, but it soon will be)

It isn't known how similar it will be to a Ranger. Past Broncos beyond the first one have been pickup trucks up to the B pillar (first F150, then Ranger). I suspect this one won't look like a Ranger with the box covered over.

·
Registered
17,738 Posts

It isn't known how similar it will be to a Ranger. Past Broncos beyond the first one have been pickup trucks up to the B pillar (first F150, then Ranger). I suspect this one won't look like a Ranger with the box covered over.
The teaser image released by Ford, clearly indicates that the new Bronco won't look like the Ranger.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Other than knowing Ford's "Gillette" grille came and went in the years since, I think it still looks pretty fresh.

It's probably going to fool a lot of people who see the movie into thinking it's the new one coming out.
That has already happened many times. I'm on the most active early Bronco forum on the web and in several social media groups for early Broncos and can't count how many times the 6G Bronco fan created concept or the 2004 Ford concept have been touted as the 2020 model.

I will say Ford has done a good keeping what they are doing under wraps. Not that I'm happy about it.

·
Premium Member
Vermonter ~ '20 Si Sedan – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
35,887 Posts

This is Ford's own image, so it damn well better not. :laugh:

·
Registered
Evo 9 MR, Scion FR-S
667 Posts
:facepalm: Great. Just like all the dumb ****s who thought that electric Honda concept looked like a MkI Golf, when it CLEARLY looked only like an old Honda, now we'll have the same saying this Bronco looks like a Land Rover when it CLEARLY looks like an old Bronco.
Dear butthurt bro, might I recommend some petroleum jelly? ;)

While I used the words "reminds me of.." it doesn't mean that it does not evoke the '65 Bronco - that's the whole point of going retro like J Mays did with the Thunderbird. What you may have failed to notice though was the rounded front end when viewed from the side, as well as the lack of the bulge on the hood both of which are more LR90 than '65 Bronco. I was referring specifically to the renders which Ryukein clarified it won't be like.

Here's how I can help you with some visual clues:

Ford Bronco Render/Concept: (sideview)

Land Rover 90: (sideview)

Ford Bronco 1965: (sideview)

Now let's try frontal 3/4th view where you'll notice a lack of the side fender 'ridge' on the 2020 Bronco and LR90 compared to the original Bronco

Ford Bronco Render/Concept: (frontal 3/4th) see the hood bulge and rounded fenders

Land Rover 90: (frontal 3/4th) see the hood bulge and rounded fenders

Ford Bronco 1965: (frontal 3/4th) no hood bulge and ridged fenders

Let's try this again. Side by side with original and render. Note what I was specifically talking about - front end when viewed from the side. Definitely can remind you of LR90:

Also, while you only "clearly" saw Honda instead of VW Golf Mk1, it is a known fact Japanese car designs were heavily derivative in that era - and most surely a lot of them inspired by Euro competitors. Peace :peace:

61 - 80 of 1825 Posts