VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a new vehicle for my small business that could also be used for infrequent personal use. I am also a euro ford nerd so I am thinking about a transit connect. The transit connect was only sold in the US with an automatic and a gas engine. Manual diesels are the norm overseas. I really want a manual transmission.

Does anyone know if a manual swap is doable or been done? Any hope of using Focus or Volvo S40/V50 parts? Any suggestions for research?

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
I am looking for a new vehicle for my small business that could also be used for infrequent personal use. I am also a euro ford nerd so I am thinking about a transit connect. The transit connect IS only sold in the US with an automatic and a gas engine. Manual diesels are the norm overseas. I really want a manual transmission.
Fixed

·
Registered
31,816 Posts
Don't bother.
Besides the 2.0 being anemic, the costly conversion process will kill the warranty.
It's a lot of lose-lose-lose just for a third pedal.

Maybe consider a 2009 Honda Element with the 5sp manual. Sticks were available up through MY 2009, IIRC, and you get decent utility with the rear seats popped out (though loads must be light).

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Focus parts, it is a C170 chassis, and an MTX-75 will bolt right up to that engine. Tranny mount and dog bone status unknown.

...and when you're done, a turbo kit from FSWerks will make it extra fun.

No need to be negative, adding a third pedal is always a win.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don't bother.
Besides the 2.0 being anemic, the costly conversion process will kill the warranty.
It's a lot of lose-lose-lose just for a third pedal.

Maybe consider a 2009 Honda Element with the 5sp manual. Sticks were available up through MY 2009, IIRC, and you get decent utility with the rear seats popped out (though loads must be light).
Haven't you ever wondered if something was possible? I don't intend to buy a new transit connect so warranty isn't a concern. If i can utilize used focus parts from a junkyard and my own labor, it may not be very expensive at all.

·
Registered
31,816 Posts
Haven't you ever wondered if something was possible? I don't intend to buy a new transit connect so warranty isn't a concern. If i can utilize used focus parts from a junkyard and my own labor, it may not be very expensive at all.
It's definitely "possible" but, in my opinion, not worth butchering a Transit to do it.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Focus parts, it is a C170 chassis, and an MTX-75 will bolt right up to that engine. Tranny mount and dog bone status unknown.

...and when you're done, a turbo kit from FSWerks will make it extra fun.

No need to be negative, adding a third pedal is always a win.
Just talked to FSWerks. They have done 2 turbo kits for transit connects. Rad. They seem to think focus parts would work as well. I'm going to research auto -> manual focus conversions to see what snafus came up.

·
Banned
18,567 Posts
+1 on a Honda Element. They're very spacious inside.

Or maybe you can get yourself a stickshift Ranger or Tacoma with a high top cap (the kind with walk in doors that replace the rear tailgate).

Either of those ideas sound better than yours.

But really, I would never buy a stickshift as a business truck. All it'll take is one employee who cant drive stick well (or at all) to cost you an expensive clutch job.

·
Registered
12,859 Posts
But really, I would never buy a stickshift as a business truck. All it'll take is one employee who cant drive stick well (or at all) to cost you an expensive clutch job.
Yeah, but its missing the man pedal....man.

A Ranger with a topper in it is 100 million times better than this scheme.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
http://forums.focaljet.com/shift/655613-duratec-drive-wire-2008-2011-auto-manual-swap.html

This is an interesting discussion about drive by wire (canbus) focus auto -> manual conversion. For the focus, there is a plug and play main harness that needs to be swapped. Since the transit connect was offered with a duratec in the USA only (Everywhere else got diesels), the wiring diagrams will need to be studied and a custom harness made to avoid CELs because there is no manual duratec transit connect anywhere. That's not a small hurdle from a wiring perspective.

Oh, I should see how they did the focus RS manual transit connects.

Hardware wise, I am sure the focus trans will mount up. The shift controls, axles, trans mounting is an unknown.

I'm just going to ignore other vehicle suggestions because this isn't a "what's the most practical vehicle for my small business thread." I KNOW the most practical vehicle is something like a ranger or my current Toyota truck. But that's boring.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pKv8SCoobE

·
Registered
35,233 Posts
If you do get a Transit Connect, could you please put the third brakelight in it's proper (euro) location? It just looks so goofy up top. :(

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
just like any swap you attempt, take the microfiche for both cars and study it as if it was The Good Book.

Good luck tho, I'd love to see how this pans out. I'd love to get a manual Sprinter for hauling the bikes around rather then towing a trailer with the wagon. I would settle for a manual transit, if I dirt bike fits in it. I know a sport bike fits for sure...

·
Registered
22,005 Posts
Don't you have enough projects? :D

Sent from a rotary-dial phone using Edna the Small Town Operator

1 - 20 of 144 Posts