VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
22,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boy that is a serial killer's dream ride.

I want to see more pics of the camper version if anybody has tricked one out yet.

·
Banned
26,433 Posts
I have a hard time seeing this as a good family rig. I've heard the ride described as agricultural and a car that's essentially the Euro E-Series Van ain't exactly gonna be a great family ride, IMO. For the cash, I figure a Kia Rondo or Mazda5 would be better rides. The camper-type ones are pretty cool though.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
Im waiting for the TDI version due out next year.
There is some serious potential with these for those of us who haul or travel frequently.
I plan on converting one for my photo biz use.

·
Banned
17,866 Posts
I think they are really cool. LOVE them.

Ford is coming out with 3rd row version later on the year.

This might be my next family car.

Price is right, 4 cyl, nice and simple.

I don't mind "not soft" or extra wind noise....that's all sissy American cries. :p

·
Premium Member
19,293 Posts
I've heard the ride described as agricultural and a car that's essentially the Euro E-Series Van ain't exactly gonna be a great family ride, IMO. ... The camper-type ones are pretty cool though.
I've driven it - pretty far from "agricultural". It handles better than a Panther.

I do like these things very much. Would definitely entertain the camper version, esp with a poptop.

·
Registered
22,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a hard time seeing this as a good family rig. I've heard the ride described as agricultural and a car that's essentially the Euro E-Series Van ain't exactly gonna be a great family ride, IMO. For the cash, I figure a Kia Rondo or Mazda5 would be better rides. The camper-type ones are pretty cool though.
Sure. Anybody who thinks this ride's main purpose is a family van replacement in the USA is dreaming... afterall... we are a pretty damn spoiled market. These type vans do have family van duty in places like Mexico, but in the USA? Pffft!

The value-utility class however (who don't expect Buick cushiness)... they should be drooling. I have notions of being a general contractor some day and this would be a great ride for me.

·
Registered
22,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've driven it - pretty far from "agricultural". It handles better than a Panther.

I do like these things very much. Would definitely entertain the camper version, esp with a poptop.
Can you compare the ride to any existing car/xover we do know in USDM? I figured they ride like any FWD vehicle with a big bodyshell and not too much focus on ride quality (vs work duty)... that is... it must def ride better than any BOF truck.

A camper/conversion with towing capability for ATV or bikes or whatnot has gotta be the ****! A pop top or even RRT would also be splendid!

·
Banned
17,866 Posts
3rd row huh? Details please? That would even make my decision easier choosing this to replace our family car..
I called few dealers and they said 3rd row option coming in fall.

Now that someone said Diesel early next year......might be worth the wait for BOTH of those.

I still have not seen how much cargo space is left with 3rd row seat. If its more than Mazda5....I'm sold.

Also I think there might be a way to utilize overhead area for storage......

·
Registered
11,374 Posts
i wonder how much the serial killer model costs. Looks pretty good for hauling cut up bodies around

·
Registered
44,112 Posts
I did a quick google on camper version have not really found much..Im sure there are companies that converts these?
Ford dealer across the street from my office has one....I'll try to snap a pic at lunch

·
Premium Member
19,293 Posts
Can you compare the ride to any existing car/xover we do know in USDM?

A camper/conversion with towing capability for ATV or bikes or whatnot has gotta be the ****!
They have plenty of towing capacity, IIRC. All of the press fleet ones have hitches.

It drives like a shorter (less tall), lighter Flex. You can feel the lower center of gravity - sounds odd given the height, but the load floor is much lower than a "traditional" crossover, and what upper shell there is is not so heavy-duty and full of (heavy) sound deadening so it rides better.

·
Registered
16,888 Posts

that's the family version...

I kinda laugh at people that think they are cool.. They're considered to be the most far from any car enthousiastic buyersgroup in Europe. They're bought by the same people that buy a Kangoo or the like:

26,006 Posts
I like these things a lot as well. I think they make good sense for business use, but I'm not so sure they're well suited for family hauling.

The camper models....those I like a lot. When I took the summer off in 2007 and went around the country in my RV, my fuel cost was nearly $6k. I could have gotten by in a Transit with a few minor planning changes (a few more improved campgrounds) and stayed out even longer on my budget. The options for small campers like this are extremely limited right now. You pretty much have to find an old VW bus and fix it up, or go with a full sized van and suffer 12MPG.

·
Registered
22,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Buying one for business or hauling duty? Sure. Buying it as a family car? Your kids will suffer. Socially.
:laugh: I think maybe an awsome-cool paintjob MAY help in that respect.

I just checked out Ford website and didn't notice any rear side airbags (I didn't expect them, either.). I would think this would relegate them to work duty, which is what Ford is obviously focusing on. I would be surprised to see mature market buyers opt for them given for a couple Gs more you can get any number of crossovers standard with many expected safety features.

·
Registered
2005 Lava Orange MazdaSpeed Miata
960 Posts
Give me a diesel and a manual and I will buy one.

CP

·
Banned
17,866 Posts
Buying one for business or hauling duty? Sure. Buying it as a family car? Your kids will suffer. Socially.
I don't buy or drive vehicles for other people. I can care less what they like....

Last thing I will EVER do is CARE what the great American society that we have today THINKS about ANYTHING.

Laugh all you want, I love it!!!

That looks really nice with rear windows.

Still looking for 3rd row picks (specifically of cargo area)

1 - 20 of 95 Posts