VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
42,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully not rozap

https://www.freep.com/in-depth/mone...iesta-dps-6-transmission-problems/4243091002/

They knew the truth and kept quiet.

Their secret wasn’t a secret at all in engineering, product development, research, design or manufacturing within Ford Motor Co., say seven current and former employees who worked to develop and launch the Fiesta and Focus cars that would become known for defective automatic transmissions.

he engineer said: “We’d raise our hands and be told, ‘Don’t be naysayers.’ We got strange comments. It seemed the ship had sailed. After that, if you ask questions, you’re accused of mutiny, so you put your head down and make it work. Good people tried to make it work. But you can’t violate the laws of physics. It’s a mechanical catastrophe.”

He was referring to the DPS6 dual-clutch "PowerShift" transmission used in 2 million Focus and Fiesta cars sold this decade that is the subject of massive litigation and a federal criminal fraud probe.

"It was cheap to make and cheap to assemble," the engineer said, but because the DPS6 used "dry" clutch technology, it couldn't cool itself, ensuring failures in real-world use.

..rest of article

I know this transmission has been talked about before on here so it's no surprise, but I can see tons of lawsuits now. Ford's gonna have to poney up - (pun intended) some serious cash to replace/fix these.

·
Registered
9,144 Posts
You'd think risk management would have calculated the costs, and maybe they still be better off than going back and redesigning it from the start.

·
Registered
9,004 Posts
You'd think risk management would have calculated the costs, and maybe they still be better off than going back and redesigning it from the start.
Hopefully that calculation includes the cost of lost sales from the tons of customers who swore off your cars after you shipped knowingly faulty equipment and kept a lid on it.

In any case, that's ****ty. Thanks, Ford!

·
Registered
672 Posts
Yeah my mom bought a brand new Fiesta maybe a couple years ago? Maybe a tad longer I forget. Within 6 months the transmission was slipping horribly. Dealer said the part would be back ordered for another 6 months or so and to just drive it with the failing transmission until then.

Man it drove like crap especially when going from first to second, that was the big issue with hers. She got it fixed, got rid of it, and went back to Mazda (previous car was a Mazda she had for 15 years or so.)

13,842 Posts
This is pretty terrible. I guess Alan Mullaly didn't really get the culture change he was hoping for accomplished, as I remember his big thing was not to sweep problems under the rug but to bring them out front for discussion. The 2012 book American Icon was certainly a good read, but unfortunately appears to be an incomplete picture.

·
Banned
524 Posts
Hopefully that calculation includes the cost of lost sales from the tons of customers who swore off your cars after you shipped knowingly faulty equipment and kept a lid on it.
They had American Honda as consultants on this project.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
It's good every now and then for people to see how corporations regard the average person's safety and financial well being. Design might cause a safety issue and/or financial and inconvenience hardship to a lot of people? Bah, we still made a profit, who cares?

·
Registered
587 Posts
Really good article. Thanks for sharing.

The culture at Ford sounds similarly toxic to other corporate environments I've been a part of. I really don't doubt the sources explanation of what actually led to this garbage. Love how the one engineer dropped the "politics" bomb in the one email. If he typed that into an email it must have been pretty bad.

Another thing I wanted to point out was that the senior people that signed off on this clearly defective transmission and who drove the "Politics" and culture of masking defects are most likely not with the company anymore. I'm willing to bet my next paycheck they will never be held accountable for their actions.

One good thing that might come of this is considering the number of powerpoint slides shown as documentation proof of the transmission issues I truly hope that leads to less powerpoint presentations being created in the modern corporate environment. Maybe them being used against a corporation in a legal setting will kill them off once and for all. I can only pray for this to happen. Please please please. :laugh:

·
Registered
17,901 Posts

i mean, how could have anyone known these things were having systematic failures and problems...:banghead::eek:

·
Registered
'20 Kia Telluride SX, '17 Mazda CX-5, '07 Airstream Safari SE 23'
11,058 Posts
Yeah, it's not a great time for this investigation to come out. Combine it with the very public problems about the Aviator/Explorer launch, and it would scare reasonably informed people away from a FoMoCo product.

I know: I decided today not to buy an Explorer or Aviator to replace my Durango.

I got to spend some time with Mullally, and I have no doubt he meant well. But habits in upper-middle management there die hard: Raj Nair was a nasty, combative piece-of-work in the dealings I had with him during my CR days. One got the feeling that he didn't like to be told "no."

Tom

·
Registered
587 Posts

·
Registered
22,277 Posts
Noooooo?!?!?!?!?!

Ford?????

Noooooo.....

Not the same Ford that figured it would be cheaper to allow people to die being rear-ended in Pintos than to fix the problem?

Not THAT Ford?

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
One good thing that might come of this is considering the number of powerpoint slides shown as documentation proof of the transmission issues I truly hope that leads to less powerpoint presentations being created in the modern corporate environment. Maybe them being used against a corporation in a legal setting will kill them off once and for all. I can only pray for this to happen. Please please please. :laugh:
After this thread is over, I'll convert it and email you the deck, thanks for joining us on this one.

Yeah, it's not a great time for this investigation to come out....

Tom
Ouch- from what I've read I've had the same impression

·
Registered
ND1 Miata & Accord Hybrid
657 Posts
That includes my family. My dad bought a brand new Focus at the end of 2012. About 10k miles later, he had to take it in as the transmission felt like it was slipping when changing gear. One of the seals had failed and caused the dry clutch transmission to turn into a wet clutch transmission. I remember the tech taking us back to where the car was and showing us the issue. He noted that repairing Focus transmissions was his full time job and that the parts were on back order. Even though the repair ended up taking several weeks, Ford refused to pay for a loaner car during that time.

Within a few weeks of getting the car back, it started intermittently rattling when changing gears. It was traded in on an excellent Mazda 3.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts