VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
14,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just read this blog post from Scott Monty, who is head of Ford's Social Media program. There are definitely some really interesting nuggets of information that many forget while discussing this whole bailout thing. No matter which side of the debate you're on, it's a well written piece and it's worth clicking over and giving it a read. Some points that even I forget about at times:
- Mullaly's been only been on the job for 2 years, and Ford was actually profitable in Q108 (yoy of nearly $700M+). Bill Ford has also not taken a salary in nearly 4 years.
- Ford is now equal to Toyota & Honda in initial quality, according to both J.D. Powers & Associates and Consumer Reports
- Ford's vehicles have more 5-star safety ratings than any other automaker. Ever.
- No one - no one - will receive bonuses in 2008, nor will they receive raises in 2009

http://www.scottmonty.com/2008....html

and an unrelated pic for views....since we all know that the answer to all of ford's problem's is simply selling this in the US

Modified by GTiTOM at 11:05 PM 11-23-2008

·
Banned
418 Posts
the quality part is right the fusion has a far better fit and finish than a malibu and the interior doesnt look like cheap garbage

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Re: Ford's situation, a perspective from their head of social media (GTiTOM)

Ford's lineup is getting better every year... Let' hope they can keep the momentum going... And bring the euro stuff over here.

G

·
FV-QR

I think, within TCL, we're pretty aware that Ford changed gears and direction before the others, and that's why they're in a better situation than GM and Chrysler. The issue is more that Ford has done a bad job of communicating those differences in the media.

·
Registered
14,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: FV-QR (Swallow Doretti)

Quote, originally posted by Swallow Doretti »
I think, within TCL, we're pretty aware that Ford changed gears and direction before the others, and that's why they're in a better situation than GM and Chrysler. The issue is more that Ford has done a bad job of communicating those differences in the media.

well, most of us are pretty aware.
and they have done a poor job communicating, which was one of the reaons for the original blog post. it's actually titled "How You Can Use Social Media to Help the U.S. Auto Industry", and he asks people to pass it along to non-car folks. I'd imagine for people who aren't up on things, that's it's a rather enlightening read.

·
Registered
6,871 Posts
Re: FV-QR (Swallow Doretti)

Quote, originally posted by Swallow Doretti »

The media is also to lazy to care about the differences between each of the "BIG 3."
They'd just rather put them all together in the same group as being one in the same. They are not all having the same exact problems. Each has its own set of unique problems. But the media doesn't care because that would take a real indebt look at the situation and the populous is too lazy to listen anyways. So why do the leg work?
Many people I've spoken to don't even know that there is a difference between the BIG 3. They actually think that they are all american vehicles are manufactured by the same company just under different brand names.

·
Registered
14,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: FV-QR (SVT2888)

Quote, originally posted by SVT2888 »

They actually think that they are all american vehicles are manufactured by the same company just under different brand names.

Then do you blow their minds when you tell them that the 1 gigantic US car maker has, in the last few years, had a hand in (whether owning or platform sharing) Jaguar, Land Rover, Mazda, Volvo, Saab, Mercedes, Aston Martin, Opel, and a whole slew of other cars

·
Registered
8,077 Posts

I'll preface this with a INMHO-
I think Ford is the only one that could survive bankruptcy fully intact. They need some positive marketing. If they can leverage this situation and pay the government back in say 3-years time, while bringing the European line to American and hopefully getting some positive press they could surprise a lot of people.
Perhaps ditching Mercury, bringing out a new lost cost brand so they can still sell their cheap second run stuff for to keep their numbers up and utilize their work force without cheapening the brand?
Then if they can slowly increase the quality (perceived and realized) of the main mark, Ford, maybe something positive will come of it.
GM could probably do it if they make some drastic changes. They need the Volt. They need to ditch the extra brands.
Chrysler ....

G

·
Re: FV-QR (GTiTOM)

Quote, originally posted by GTiTOM »
and they have done a poor job communicating, which was one of the reaons for the original blog post. it's actually titled "How You Can Use Social Media to Help the U.S. Auto Industry", and he asks people to pass it along to non-car folks. I'd imagine for people who aren't up on things, that's it's a rather enlightening read.

I think part of the problem, though, is that for Ford to fully communicate its message, it's going to need to throw GM and Chrysler under the bus. That hasn't happened yet, and there seems to be a strong unwillingness to do so. While I understand the "one for all mentality," to an extent, I think it's misguided for Ford to do this, and is hurting them significantly.

·
Registered
11,729 Posts

For a long time i dreaded American cars and I had good reason. They made a terrible product, but that has changed. I have been working at a Ford dealer for a little over a year and have had a bit of experience with there newer products. I must say I am pleased to say that Ford has stepped it up big time and I will certainly be looking at a Ford car when it comes time for me to buy something new. Ill take my v6 awd Fusion in black with black leather please http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
6,871 Posts
Re: FV-QR (GTiTOM)

Quote, originally posted by GTiTOM »
Then do you blow their minds when you tell them that the 1 gigantic US car maker has, in the last few years, had a hand in (whether owning or platform sharing) Jaguar, Land Rover, Mazda, Volvo, Saab, Mercedes, Aston Martin, Opel, and a whole slew of other cars

Why ofcourse!
They usually end up lookin like this ----->

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Re: FV-QR (SVT2888)

Ford has come a long way over the past few years. Things that the company used to do, such as removing content from their vehicles and waiting for major refreshes to improve items such as safety and comfort.
A great example is the Fusion, in 2006 the safety ratings per IIHS were about average. For the 2009 (before the major refresh) it is now a Best Pick (with AdvanceTrac). If that doesn't speak volumes for the efforts over in Dearborn I don't know what does.

·
Registered
12,962 Posts
Re: Ford's situation, a perspective from their head of social media (lip)

Ford should not be grouped with GM, Chrysler. Hell I'm starting to think that maybe Chrysler shouldn't be in with GM (the Hooker has broken free from the Pimp)
Give the 25 Billion to the Ford or loan it, whatever, they already have a plan. I really like the direction Ford has mapped out for there future lineups, interior upgrades, the new Taurus, the Transit, Euro Fords in the US, Fiesta, Ecoboost. Ford is bringing it.....literally

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Re: Ford's situation, a perspective from their head of social media (DoubleNaught)

I have actually started to like the new Fords. I mean have you seen the pics of the Fusion with the Blue Suede Package.

I mean, wow. That looks really really good.

·
Registered
20,587 Posts
Re: Ford's situation, a perspective from their head of social media (DoubleNaught)

Quote, originally posted by DoubleNaught »
Ford should not be grouped with GM, Chrysler. Hell I'm starting to think that maybe Chrysler shouldn't be in with GM (the Hooker has broken free from the Pimp)
Give the 25 Billion to the Ford or loan it, whatever, they already have a plan. I really like the direction Ford has mapped out for there future lineups, interior upgrades, the new Taurus, the Transit, Euro Fords in the US, Fiesta, Ecoboost. Ford is bringing it.....literally

Agreed on Ford.
I sort fo wonder exactly how bad Ford's finanical sitution really is. Do they need the $25 billion? I ask simply because if they don't absolutely need the money, it woudl seems foolish to go with Chysler and GM to Washington to beg for a handout.
It tells customers, "we're just like them" when they clearly are not.
I love a lot of what GM is doing. of the big 3, they make the only cars I lust after now that Ford doesn't own Jag and Aston. However, Ford obvious just has it down. they have a healthy finace arm, great products for the average buyer, etc.
I do think the condition on ford to get bailout money should be to bring us an IRS RWD sports car under $30k.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Re: Ford's situation, a perspective from their head of social media (nm+)

Quote, originally posted by nm+ »

I do think the condition on ford to get bailout money should be to bring us an IRS RWD sports car under $30k.

Fusion SVT AWD 3.5L with 6-speed manual. That would work for me how about you?

·
Registered
8,333 Posts
Re: Ford's situation, a perspective from their head of social media (20V BUG)

Quote, originally posted by 20V BUG »
I have actually started to like the new Fords. I mean have you seen the pics of the Fusion with the Blue Suede Package.

I mean, wow. That looks really really good.

Wow, that interior does look nice. Unfortunately, the exterior is still bland, and I still can't stand the grill by Gillette.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Re: Ford's situation, a perspective from their head of social media (Bah Humbug)

Quote, originally posted by Bah Humbug »

Wow, that interior does look nice. Unfortunately, the exterior is still bland, and I still can't stand the grill by Gillette.

They look alot better than the new Acuras,

13,854 Posts

Yeah unfortunately Ford hasn't done a good job of telling their story in the past, but hopefully now people will start to get it. I'm still in favor of a plan to save Ford and GM but break up Chrysler since we don't need to prolong the life of the Caliber/Sebring.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Re: Ford's situation, a perspective from their head of social media (20V BUG)

Quote, originally posted by 20V BUG »

Fusion SVT AWD 3.5L with 6-speed manual. That would work for me how about you?

The Fusion Sport will have the 3.5 and HIDs. Don't know about a manual.
The Fusion SVT I envision would have an Ecoboost, European suspension, and all the standard SVT goodies adorned upon it. It would be something to compliment the Contour SVT.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts