VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The standard car suffers from the front wheels skipping under hard acceleration and this mount stops this without increasing the engine vibration or harshness inside the car. The new mounting consists of 2 pieces and is a very easy fit.
Price: $ 25.50
Copyright © Forge Motorsport.com
anyone know anything about this little number from Forge yet?
I haven't been lurking much lately......
nothing on the search

Thanks

Modified by GREGSGTI 1.8T at 10:41 PM 5-13-2003

·
Registered
9,909 Posts
Re: Forge Dog bone mount (GREGSGTI 1.8T)

While this part and others like it (the ES dogbone mounts) will reduce the amt of wheel hop some get, its only part of the equation.
The full equation to completely eliminate wheel hop is the following:
1. Good suspension (coil over or a high quality shock/strut)
2. Dogbone mounts (Energy suspension of their equivalent)
3. Upgraded lower control arms (from a TT or beetle cup car)
These three items are the only way to completely eliminate wheel hop.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Forge Dog bone mount (FlyinTurbo)

Thanks Greg

I was wondering with my Suspension set-up currently (Eibach pro kit spring/ Koni yellow) if this Forge mount would be as harsh in the cabin as I've read about others for everyday driving comfort is a must...........Translation ....old guy ride

I did not know about item 3.) however http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
183 Posts

I don't see how a little piece of polyeurathene plastic is going to reduce tire screech..I've looked at the FAQ and there's no mention of mount as a performance upgrade. Can someone shed some lights on why a new stronger mount can help in performance?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Re: Forge Dog bone mount (cweemin)

it doesnt eleminate tire screech it eleminates wheel hop.. peeling out and hopping the tires is very different.. wheel hop is when the tires are half slipping and half griping causing lots of vibration on the engin and through out the car.. this is just an aid having this will not elminate it just reduce it.. ading suspension will also help in reducing ths wheel hop problem.. just go to energy suspension and buy it for 12 bucks works just the same..

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Re: Forge Dog bone mount (hungalicious)

I have the ES inserts (70 durometer) and the vibration is only bad under 1400 rpm. So you adjust and keep the rpm's up during take off. The lower you let the rpm's drop, the more vibration...and it can be like one of those vibrating chairs in the Sharper Image stores
. But normal cruising, it's ok.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Re: Forge Dog bone mount (VDUBNDizzy)

There's a guy in Louisiana selling his own style of upgraded dogbone. I'm not sure exactly what's involved, but he claims reduced wheel hop with no increase in cabin vibration. Apparently he modifies the mount itself but still uses rubber not poly, you have to send in your old one to get a core charge back. I think he charges $50 for it after you've sent in your mount.
I had his thread marked for notification, but somehow it disappeared from my list. It's somewhere in the G/J IV classifieds, I'll look for it later today.
[Edit: can't find the thread anywhere, probably got yanked because he worked for a shop. I'll see if I can find his webpage]

Modified by cburkart at 9:45 AM 5-14-2003

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
Re: Forge Dog bone mount (turbovw18)

mine vibrates like a motha. I may end up going with the 70 durometer ES ones, or maybe these forge pieces depending on what they're rated at (I've emailed forge -- nobody answering their phone?)

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Re: Forge Dog bone mount (BoostMiser)

Quote, originally posted by BoostMiser »
I have the ES inserts (70 durometer) and the vibration is only bad under 1400 rpm.

I have to disagree with you. I'd say anywhere above 800 RPM on my car it is smooth and no vibration whatsoever.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts

Quote »
without increasing the engine vibration or harshness inside the car.

If it's going to be 70 durometers, it's gonna vibrate. Hopefully it will be between 60 and 70. Stock is 60 IIRC... I may be wrong about the stock rating.

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
Re: Forge Dog bone mount (hungalicious)

from George @ Forge:
I don't have the durometer rating. We do have this fitted to our car
and It is noticeably stiffer over stock. There is a bit more vibration
inside the car at idle but it's not too bad

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Re: Forge Dog bone mount (Cypher2k)

Quote, originally posted by Cypher2k »
im going to have to change mine... Im picking up vibration at 3000 RPM and its very freaking annoying.

You might want to loosen the bolts a tad...it will decrease the vibration. Same thing happened to me and it was because I had the tranny bolts too tight. Loosened them a tad and I've been fine ever since.
I doubt switching to a different brand of mounts is going to make much of a difference. They are all basically the same thing...

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
Re: Forge Dog bone mount (Pannikattk)

Quote, originally posted by Pannikattk »

I doubt switching to a different brand of mounts is going to make much of a difference. They are all basically the same thing...

Sure it will. The poly mounts are 80+ durometer rating, where as the energy suspension is at 70. This means the ES mounts absorb more of the vibration because they aren't quite as stiff...which definitely makes a difference!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.