VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Install went smoother than I thought thanks to GTI Matador's writeup http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Only thing I did differently was that I removed the hoses/valves off last and used rhino ramps, which were more convenient.
So yeah, what puzzled me was that on my stock turbo intake, the opening for the DV comes last (3rd opening) and AFTER the opening for the crankcase breather valve (I think that's what you call it -the round valve). Sequence is N75, round valve, and then DV. However, on the Forge/Samco TIP -it seems as if the DV opening is placed 2nd (right after the N75). So basically, they're the other way around in comparison to my stock setup and also from what the Bentley Manual indicates. It shows N75 opening first, followed by round valve, and then the DV.
Is this right? does it make a difference which comes first? The sizes of the two openings are also different (DV opeing larger) so I couldn't just plug them in like they were before on the stock. Since I noticed on some pics of other vortexers that did the Forge/Samco TIP that they had the DV placed in the opening right after the N75, I rerouted the hoses and valves and managed to get them to fit like that as well but with a tight fit. Sequence is now N75, DV, and then the round valve. No one ever mentioned having to do this
but then again I have a AWD.
Okay so now the test drive... nice, feels like there is a positive difference in response, smoothness, loudness but i'm really not punching it yet anyway.
Problem: Finally get into some open road after all the stoplights and punch it on 2nd only go up to .4 bar and no more. Try it a couple of more times w/ the same result. Thinking something is loose, I head back home hitting a max. of 0.4 bar.
I check all the hoses and they seem fine. Play around w/ the N75 a bit and I hear a click so I think that must be it. Test drive again and it solves the boost problem. Butt dyno tells me that the TIP was worth it and midrange has def. improved but then I hit 5th gear and bow, back to 0.4 bar of boost
I try other gears and the same thing so I pull over and check everything out again, disconnect/connect back the N75 and back to normal. Then after a couple of minutes, I'm back to a max. of 0.4 bar of boost. Weird.
What's the deal? Any ideas?
Thanks!

Modified by SurrealGTI at 11:30 PM 7-2-2003

·
Registered
7,097 Posts
Re: Forge/Samco TIP installed - review/weird problem (SurrealGTI)

I know of an AWD owner who has similar sounding problems - he should offer his own experiences on here, hopefully. Boost issues and limp mode issues, specifically.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Re: Forge/Samco TIP installed - review/weird problem (SurrealGTI) (long)

Dude, i'm having the same problem as you and i have an AWD engine code. I had my Forge TIH installed by somone locally, and he reversed the hoses on it for me. So it looks like: n75 > DV > round valve, and informed me thats how it needed to be installed for the AWD engine code. So, after that i took it for a spin and man did it pull! after to runs on full boost, i stop at a light and when i go to take off again, only going to .4bar of boost i was like wtf? I thought it was limp mode, so i shut off the car and after a minute or two did another run and it was fine.
OK, car is running good, but after just cruising around now with little to no boost, it happens again where i can't boost past .4bar! I have no clue what is up still, and its been over 2 weeks. Thinking that it was something i can solve, i ordered a new MAF for a 2.0 after i replaced that aswell as swap out to a green top coolant sensor, i thought it would help which it didn't. I would still hit Limp mode with those changes. Puzzled and with the any codes cleared I unplugged the MAF completely and the car would boost normally without any problems of hitting limp mode or anything? But if i plugged back in the MAF it would only go to .4bar.
So i am thinking it definitely has to be related to Fuel or something? But not sure? What i do know is that with the MAF plugged in i would get limp mode after 3 runs of boosting. And with the MAF unplugged, i can boost fine all day long? Would the o2 sensor have any affect with this? I've been running with my MAF unplugged for the past week, i still havne't solved this problem and i'm stumped. Any input would be Greatly appreciated. I hope to have my car Vagged soon and i can post some of the codes for better deciphering.
(surrealgti) have you tried any runs with the MAF unplugged and seen any results? I'm not sure if this is something directly related to AWD or what?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Re: Forge/Samco TIP installed - review/weird problem (SurrealGTI)

<I rerouted the hoses and valves and managed to get them to fit like that as well but with a tight fit.>
Maybe you have torn up one of the cables to the N75. This can happen easily cause they are very short.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Re: Forge/Samco TIP installed - review/weird problem (CarfanaTTic)

Well for the round valve, i actually had to replace the oem hose with i think 3/8th peice, and just cut it to fit. The stock one was waay to short to reach all the way over. I plugged my MAF back up this morning, and about half way to work i couldn't boost past .4bar, i left it like that it sux though no boosting at all

·
Banned
7,500 Posts
It really sounds like the MAF is just dirty or failed. I dont see how this part could directly cause this.
Check your fuel trim (block35 i think) Im willing to bet your out of spec on long term trim.

If so it could just be a fouled MAF and is easily fixed.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Re: Forge/Samco TIP installed - review/weird problem (Raman Gain)

Quote, originally posted by Raman Gain »
Yes, Nishal and I will VAG and post some codes after tonight.

FYI guys, my VAG setup is down for the count. I had to reformat the hard drive last night and haven't reinstalled/activated vag com yet.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Re: Forge/Samco TIP installed - review/weird problem (SlvrBllt)

Good stuff Shane, Do you have any input, since you've vagged my car aswell? I really don't know what it could be? I thought it was the MAF but even after it was replaced its still giving me the same boost problem? I might try cleaning the stock one, and trying that again, since i'm currently running the 2.0 MAF which i heard was OK to use in the AWD?

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Re: Forge/Samco TIP installed - review/weird problem (nsingh9)

Sounds MAF related to me. Try cleaning it first. FYI, the AWD's have the crankcase breather between the MAF and DV. When the DV blows off into the intake it pushes the oil back into the MAF...which can cause it to do just what youa re experiencing. I think this is also why they redesigned the positions on the AWW and up intake hoses.

·
Banned
35 Posts
Re: Forge/Samco TIP installed - review/weird problem (einsig)

Be sure the tip is secured to the turbo inlet housing! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Forge/Samco TIP installed - review/weird problem (drew337)

nsingh9: i'll try the maf unplugged and see how it goes! although, I don't think one should have to disconnect their maf to make this product work. thanks for your input
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

CarfanaTTic: doubt that it's the N75 wires. in rerouting the hoses, i really only swapped the crankcase breather and dv. the n75 remained out of the way.
Cypher2k: with the stock tip/intake pipe, car ran/boosted fine. no evidence of bad maf. forge/samco tip goes in and this problem arises.
Everything else seems to be tightly secured. I wonder what Forge has to say about this since the design should have been different for us AWD'rs. Nevertheless, I'll try to get some pure alcohol and clean the maf but I doubt that will change things since my maf was fine before this. It's also odd that when you shut the car down and start it up again, boost will be fine... for those few minutes.
Any other AWD guy's w/ similar problems or with theirs working fine.

Modified by SurrealGTI at 6:38 PM 7-3-2003

·
Banned
7,500 Posts
Its pretty freaking odd I have to say. Everything points to a bad MAF... Could you be sucking in air from one of the other lines? Maybe something is cut and thats throwing off the metering enough.
Check block32 and see what the idle trim is like....
im stumped.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Bad MAFs are known to cause issues that go away after shutting the car off, only to return after driving for a little. Perhaps you damaged the MAF when installing the TIP. I'd check the block 32 first, clean the MAF and see where that puts you.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: (einsig)

Sup guys, just got back from some troubleshooting/test drives.
MAF disconnected: car runs fine, boost levels are good. only thing, ASR light is on and will not come off. okay so I say I'll check this out later, drive some more and yeah I have to say, car is running real strong. Probably stronger than ever. but yeah, damn ASR light is on.
So I get back home, shut off the car and put the MAF back on. Start the car and it seems the idle is a little rough, almost wants to stall but not quite shutting off. So I shut off the car. ASR light was still on btw.
Next, I disconnect the battery for a couple of minutes to clear the codes. Plug the MAF on again, start the car, and ASR is gone...for like 10 seconds then comes back on and stays on.
Then, I disconnect battery again, plug the MAF back on, wait a few minutes, reconnect battery and start the car. Idle is back to NORMAL and ASR is gone and does not go back on. Time for a test drive.....results are same as last night, boost for a while then back to good ol 0.4 bar max.
So basically:
Stock TIP setup: no problems whatsoever
Forge/Samco TIP w/ MAF plugged in: 0.4 max boost
Forge/Samco TIP w/o MAF plugged in: nice boost, power but ASR light permanently on.
I will clean the MAF and see if it does the trick. Any other ideas after what's transpired? Thanks again guys.
And yeah, is it normal for the ASR light to stay on w/ the MAF disconnected?

·
Banned
21 Posts
Re: (SurrealGTI)

So.... why the hell hasnt anyone contacted Forge about this? I cant believe you guys have been having these problems and have not contacted the dealer yet.

·
Banned
7,500 Posts
try going back to the stock TIP and see if the problems persist.
I cant imagine the part itself can cause this. Something else has gone wrong.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: (Cypher2k)

do you think the swap of DV and crankcase breather hoses locations could have caused this?
i will email forge about this.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Re: (SurrealGTI)

Ok, i got to log some VAG codes tonight, again after some testing... Thanks Robert for providing me with the VAG. We did some driving tests with it plugged in and came up with these below, everytime i would get these codes we would clear them and then boost normal again. *does anyone know what these codes here mean?
3 DTCs Found:
17965 - Charge Pressure Control: Positive Deviation
35-10 - - - Intermittent
17705 - Pressure Drop betw. Turbo and Throttle Valve (check D.V.!)
35-10 - - - Intermittent
16486 - MAF Sensor (G70): Signal too Low
35-00 - -

1 - 20 of 118 Posts