VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Forget everything you've learned on the Jetta", said Kevin. "It doesn't apply to this car. If you mess up, you'll just spin." We walked over to the butterscotch yellow 510. Kevin thought I was driving too conservitably. "I'm gonna show you how to drive this thing."
I got in the passangers seat and buckled up. Kevin had installed 200sx belts in it, so they had shoulder support. He backed up the car, turned it around, and we proceeded to go on the rocky gravel road. The stiff suspension let you feel every rock. We finally got to a smooth road.
The ride wasn't smooth for long, kevin floored it. The little L16 had enough power to get you into trouble, 70 horses. The little 510 scratched the 5 year old Pirelli P6's on the shift from first to second, courtesy of a roadster clutch. The car felt alot faster than it really was. He then tested the brakes, which were locking up in the back first. "You might want to bleed the brakes.", he said. He then repeated the whole thing, but this time, he let go of the steering wheel when he braked. The car went straight.
"When I was a kid, these were the coolest cars you could get.", he said with a glint in his eye. "The thing to do back then was get a 510, get suspension, paint it, etc."
We then came up to a very curvy road, were kevin took the little 510 at up to speeds of 75 miles an hour, all I could do was just hold on. He cut the corners, followed the curves, did things I didn't know could be done on cars with such small engines. "I can feel the tires loosing grip.", he would say. I really couldn't feel anything, everything was going so fast. The little car just hanged on for dear life and wouldnt let go of the turn. In the middle of one particular turn, the light cover fell on my lap. Kevin saw this and explained that it was an old car. It was time to go back.
"This is the type of car you take to gravel and do donuts in.", he said "poop like that."
We I know have a 510 and my world just opened up. I used to think I was an OK driver, but now I know im not even that. As soon as I got home, I took it to a particular road I take in the Jetta (not the one on the video) to see what it had. First turn: doin' good! Second turn: everything's fine! Third turn (U-turn): I had the car in second, I proceeded to give it all I had. Three quarters into the turn, the back end goes out and I panic. I turned into the steer, but I hit the brakes as well. Its ok. I didn't crash.
Today, I just practiced oversteer. I found an empty place, stopped the car, got the engine up to speed, turned the steering wheel all the way to the left, and dropped the clutch. I have a vague idea of how to drift, but theres still alot of learning to do.

[Modified by RJetta8V, 12:21 AM 11-27-2001]

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: "Forget everything you've learned on the Jetta" (RJetta8V)

So... what do you guys think of my dime?
19 views and no replies...

·
Registered
15,173 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]In the middle of one particular turn, the light cover fell on my lap. Kevin saw this and explained that it was an old car. It was time to go back.[HR][/HR]​
HAHAHA!
That's great!

I know what you mean. RWD is so different.
I had to practice on my own to figure it all out.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]So... what do you guys think of my dime?
[HR][/HR]​
We're speechless at its beauty.

Seriously tasty.
-Jonathan

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: "Forget everything you've learned on the Jetta" (Porridgehead)

I wanted to post more pics, but my dad took them at a really high resolution (1600x1200). I tried to make them smaller on PS, but then we couldnt upload them for some reason...

·
Registered
5,707 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]So... what do you guys think of my dime?
[HR][/HR]​
I see no 510.. Just a red X.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: "Forget everything you've learned on the Jetta" (A4Jetta)

quote:[HR][/HR]Isn't it a Jaguar or Nissan? I saw a red X-Type.
[HR][/HR]​
Haha...

The website I had my pic on vanished... Can I email someone some pics to put up? Theyre really big, so you'd have to make them smaller.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: "Forget everything you've learned on the Jetta" (RainbowGTI)

quote:[HR][/HR]sounds like a Mr. aukimoto story
Remember the one where his BMW 750 v12 750 hp whipped up on a supra? [HR][/HR]​
You still go to Jwelty?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts