VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I haven't posted in years so I figured I'd change that. Long story short I'm looking to downsize a little. Thanks to inflation I have some decent equity in my 19 R now and I'm looking to purchase a house next year. I honestly LOVE my car but if I can save a couple hundred a month, walk away with almost 10k in my pocket, and still have a car I'll enjoy that I can fit 4 people why not? I thought about getting the 8R but I dont need all that and from what I've been hearing there is a massive economic downturn coming next year.

I really miss my first VW which was the infamous mk4 R32. Spent over a year hunting one down when I was in my 20s and one day I got lucky. Still can't believe how overpriced they are now. Would you believe I paid 17500 including tax and reg for one with 50kmi? lol. Since then I've owned 4 Golf R's and they've been nothing but great to me. Truthfully though I am bored of the 4 Cylinder and would like something a little more exciting. My dream swap would be a VR6T in a 7.5R. Maybe someday!

With that said I am looking for thoughts on the A3 8p VR6 Platform. Specifically what differences (if any) I should be aware of compared to the R32 especially if I plan on forced injection. I have spent some time already researching it and it seems the main difference between the R32 and the A3 is that the cranks are not forged like the R32 correct? Can you just swap one from an 08 R motor or should I consider just swapping the entire thing? I'm also very interested in the 3.6 swap as well. Someone local to me has one stripped down that I was thinking of picking up if I move forward with this. From what I've ready its pretty straight forward to do.

Any info from anyone would be appreciated! Feel free to post some links to threads or names of members I should follow as well. BTW I can find out most of this stuff by myself but I'm trying to become more active on here again and figured I'd do a post and try to engage with people. Hope everyone has a good Xmas and New Years Thanks!

·
Registered
40 Posts
The Audi A3 Quattro 3.2l is basically a Mk5 R32 except for a few differences on the engine vacuum setup, the DSG gearing is shorter at the lower gears and the brakes are smaller 312mm fronts and forget the rears.

If you are getting one they only come in DSG, other than that I haven't had any specific problems. I am in the middle of turboing my A3 and just a note is the crankshaft is not forged (same as MK5 R32) which only matters for big numbers if at all (700hp+).

The DSG will be a weak point for anything above [email protected]

The A3 also has basically 75% or more of its roof as glass which is heavy if you are looking to race it but the base 2.0t models had options for a full metal roof that you could swap onto it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Audi A3 Quattro 3.2l is basically a Mk5 R32 except for a few differences on the engine vacuum setup, the DSG gearing is shorter at the lower gears and the brakes are smaller 312mm fronts and forget the rears.

If you are getting one they only come in DSG, other than that I haven't had any specific problems. I am in the middle of turboing my A3 and just a note is the crankshaft is not forged (same as MK5 R32) which only matters for big numbers if at all (700hp+).

The DSG will be a weak point for anything above [email protected]

The A3 also has basically 75% or more of its roof as glass which is heavy if you are looking to race it but the base 2.0t models had options for a full metal roof that you could swap onto it.
Thank you for the reply! I did not know they weren't forged on the MK5 either thats disappointing lol. Would it be worth it to upgrade the clutchpacks on the dsg? Not sure if companies make those kits still. Last time I checked they seemed to be hard to find. Or should I just wait until I can afford a dq500? Are you keeping your tranny stock?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I recently swapped my 06 a3 3.2 for my R only thing I miss is exhaust note...3.2 a3 were hovering 7.5k to 10k mileage dependent

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
Yeah ive missed out on some good deals already. One with 45kmi for 12.9K im still kicking myself I didnt move fast enough on and another with 75kmi for 8k. Specialty boutique dealers are trying to get an arm and a leg for low mileage ones now though. Saw one with 65kmi for 16k that sold and theres a facelift 09 with 83kmi out there now for almost 16k. Now that everyone knows it shares the same vr6 as the R32 it seems the price is going up lol

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yeah ive missed out on some good deals already. One with 45kmi for 12.9K im still kicking myself I didnt move fast enough on and another with 75kmi for 8k. Specialty boutique dealers are trying to get an arm and a leg for low mileage ones now though. Saw one with 65kmi for 16k that sold and theres a facelift 09 with 83kmi out there now for almost 16k. Now that everyone knows it shares the same vr6 as the R32 it seems the price is going up lol
I traded mine in for 1500 canadian after a year of dsg problems changed the mechatronic unit and problems just continued...when the k1 clutch started slipping I traded it in. Only paid 5k for with just over 200km on body was mint

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just do it...:cool: 4 seats, 4 doors, and a DSG!
Hell yeah! I'm working on it. Now I just have to sell my car to Vroom. Just the thought of having an awd vr6 dsg hatch gets me excited! I guess I am getting old lmao. The young me would have never appreciated the DSG and 4 doors lol

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I traded mine in for 1500 canadian after a year of dsg problems changed the mechatronic unit and problems just continued...when the k1 clutch started slipping I traded it in. Only paid 5k for with just over 200km on body was mint

That's rough. I know once they fail it can be a nightmare. You have to code the meta unit to your car again. ugh. Thats the only thing about going back to an older car that I hate thinking about is the problems lol. I ended up getting rid of my mk4 R32 years ago because I replaced the MAF and couldnt get it to pass emissions. Tried all kinds of stuff to fix it but I gave up because I needed a car that could pass inspection. Worst part is like a year later after I got rid of it I figured out the damn issue. I forgot my ecu was tuned (previous owner did it) and if I had swapped out the ecu with a new untuned one perhaps then I could have achieved readiness. Probably would have kept it another 50kmi. Never owner a car as long as I did with my R32. Traded it in on a mk6R and the rest is history. Enjoy your new car man!

·
Registered
3.2l A3 & 20v Rabbit
17,690 Posts
The A3 3.2 is a great all around car. I’ve had an MK4 R, mk5 R and a mk7 golf R in the past, along with a manual 2.0t A3 s-line. Somehow I still prefer the 3.2 A3 over all of them, but the mk4 R.

From a price point the 3.2 A3’s are still a good bargain at under 10k. The 7R and especially the 7.5R’s are really solid cars and great daily drivers. I am not sure I would downgrade from 7.5R personally. The 7.5R is somehow better than the 7R IMO. I had a DSG rental for a week and seriously enjoyed it more than my previous 7R manual (and it was decently modded).

Keep in mind that if you go through with a switch, you will be buying an older VW/Audi product that will need updating and maintenance. Costs which your 7.5R won’t really require for a good long while more.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The A3 3.2 is a great all around car. I’ve had an MK4 R, mk5 R and a mk7 golf R in the past, along with a manual 2.0t A3 s-line. Somehow I still prefer the 3.2 A3 over all of them, but the mk4 R.

From a price point the 3.2 A3’s are still a good bargain at under 10k. The 7R and especially the 7.5R’s are really solid cars and great daily drivers. I am not sure I would downgrade from 7.5R personally. The 7.5R is somehow better than the 7R IMO. I had a DSG rental for a week and seriously enjoyed it more than my previous 7R manual (and it was decently modded).

Keep in mind that if you go through with a switch, you will be buying an older VW/Audi product that will need updating and maintenance. Costs which your 7.5R won’t really require for a good long while more.
Absolutely. I've owned a 7R too and the 7.5 is better without a doubt. The XDS differential Locking System and the 7 speed make a difference for sure. I love my car and I wouldn't get rid of it if I wasnt trying to buy a house. Not that I need to but every penny helps. Plus I could literally make all of my money back I spent to purchase the car and then some and I could move that equity into something else if I wanted to including even a better car. Not going to lie Its tempting to upgrade too. I've even considered picking up the new mk8 but its taking forever and truthfully I dont need all that.

Its really hard to downgrade once you've had a newer car especially an R. I used to spend a lot of time at my buddys shop. Since I've owned my golf Rs I havent needed to. I think if I find the right low mileage A3 though maybe a facelift 09 I could have a fun car and still enjoy my commute. Plus I have another car I can get on the road and really take care of the A3. Maybe bring it to shows idk. I had one trying to keep up with me on the back roads recently. He didnt do too bad :LOL: seemed like it would be a fun ride too! Just needs a little more power for me than the stock vr6. I loved my R32 but lets face it its not the fastest car stock and im sure the A3 will feel slow to me which ill have to accept for the time being. Not that speed is always the most important but once youve had a taste its hard to go backwards lol

·
Registered
2013 Audi A3 2.0Tq 2013 Audi TT-S
1,583 Posts
If you dont 4doors I'd look for a 8J audi TT 3.2 vr6 and a 6speed manual

Yep, and like 400lbs lighter. And yes can be had as manual or DSG. Also has the larger brakes on it--same calipers as the Mk5 .:R32 but 5mm smaller rotors up front, because of how the caliper sits I guess. The calipers are the same and the rear rotors are the same size, but have a different hat height (i.e different parts).

TT has a lot of "quirks" though, meaning little problem areas, compared to the Golf/A3. So many "stupid things" on TT like the tail lamp grounds, window smearing, water leaks, factory [audio] amp failures, just to name a few. They're mostly small and can be fixed but they are annoying TBH; most examples will have at least a few of these issues, and may develop more later. That said I love the TT, it's just a lot more quirky I'd say.

Plus the tt with vr6 goes up to 2014 I think newer car lower mileage seems safer bet imo
Negative ghostrider, was dropped after MY09 in Can/US market. Getting an 09 3.2L is fairly rare but it will have 4th gen Haldex on it and the newer interior electronics/gauges and shifter knobs, if you can find one. Very similar to A3 in this regard.

·
Registered
3.2l A3 & 20v Rabbit
17,690 Posts
Absolutely. I've owned a 7R too and the 7.5 is better without a doubt. The XDS differential Locking System and the 7 speed make a difference for sure. I love my car and I wouldn't get rid of it if I wasnt trying to buy a house. Not that I need to but every penny helps. Plus I could literally make all of my money back I spent to purchase the car and then some and I could move that equity into something else if I wanted to including even a better car. Not going to lie Its tempting to upgrade too. I've even considered picking up the new mk8 but its taking forever and truthfully I dont need all that.

Its really hard to downgrade once you've had a newer car especially an R. I used to spend a lot of time at my buddys shop. Since I've owned my golf Rs I havent needed to. I think if I find the right low mileage A3 though maybe a facelift 09 I could have a fun car and still enjoy my commute. Plus I have another car I can get on the road and really take care of the A3. Maybe bring it to shows idk. I had one trying to keep up with me on the back roads recently. He didnt do too bad :LOL: seemed like it would be a fun ride too! Just needs a little more power for me than the stock vr6. I loved my R32 but lets face it its not the fastest car stock and im sure the A3 will feel slow to me which ill have to accept for the time being. Not that speed is always the most important but once youve had a taste its hard to go backwards lol
With the current market, I can understand wanting to sell/trading it in to get most, if not all, of your money back and get into something a bit cheaper. I’ve pretty much done the same over time but with my dog and such I prefer to have a daily I don’t have to care nearly as much about overall. I get less angry at new scratches or dents at this point, plus my car is usually street parked.

Funny you mention the downgrade to an older and/or slower car. My Golf R was my first ever new car purchase, and will likely be the last. Since I sold my 2016 Golf R (sold in mid-2017), I’ve gone through about 6-7 cars since then and each have been slower. Of those cars, my 06 Porsche Carrera S (actually traded the R for the 911, which I daily drove for almost a year) and an 06 Lotus Exige (just sold a month ago). The speed is fun and all but it’s not everything to me these days. I’m all about different driving experiences.

I’m in the process of buying a 45 year old VW as a new project car. Clearly I’m not worried about getting better (newer/faster) cars each time I buy a new one. 😂

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
With the current market, I can understand wanting to sell/trading it in to get most, if not all, of your money back and get into something a bit cheaper. I’ve pretty much done the same over time but with my dog and such I prefer to have a daily I don’t have to care nearly as much about overall. I get less angry at new scratches or dents at this point, plus my car is usually street parked.

Funny you mention the downgrade to an older and/or slower car. My Golf R was my first ever new car purchase, and will likely be the last. Since I sold my 2016 Golf R (sold in mid-2017), I’ve gone through about 6-7 cars since then and each have been slower. Of those cars, my 06 Porsche Carrera S (actually traded the R for the 911, which I daily drove for almost a year) and an 06 Lotus Exige (just sold a month ago). The speed is fun and all but it’s not everything to me these days. I’m all about different driving experiences.

I’m in the process of buying a 45 year old VW as a new project car. Clearly I’m not worried about getting better (newer/faster) cars each time I buy a new one. 😂
Haha very cool! They truly are fantastic well rounded cars. I practically got mine new. Only 3kmi and I paid like 34k it just didnt have the gloss black wheels only englishtowns which now a days youd be lucky to find one for that price. It's also the newest most expensive car I've ever owned and the first time I felt like I did it right. I paid off all my debt, fixed my credit, had enough to pay my taxes and put a little bit down up front, and got a killer rate. Monthly I literally pay what I used to pay for my first 6R for the 7.5R.

I'd never buy new either. Would love a project car too just need a house with a workspace first lol Have fun GL with the new project!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts