VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But...but...Juke!

EDIT: Also, this is the same fellow who complained about how the Volt is made of children's tears and crushed puppy skulls while the plug-in Prius is the savior of mankind.

·
Registered
2013 Infiniti G37x Coupe, 2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring
22,182 Posts
Isn't it required in journalism school that you learn to do research...or basic math?

Altima YTD 2011: 131,842

Total car sales YTD 2011: 307,576

131,842 / 307,546 = 42.8%

Last time I checked, that is not a percentage one would consider to be "more than half".

---

And the entry-level offering respents a major chunk of a luxury brand's sales? This is unique to Infiniti? (The answer is no, BTW.)

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Isn't it required in journalism school that you learn to do research...or basic math?

Altima YTD 2011: 131,842

Total car sales YTD 2011: 307,576

131,842 / 307,546 = 42.8%

Last time I checked, that is not a percentage one would consider to be "more than half".
That's not including truck sales, is it?

And the entry-level offering respents a major chunk of a luxury brand's sales? This is unique to Infiniti? (The answer is no, BTW.)
I honestly think this guy's a TCL member with how vociferous and opinionated he is.

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nope. That's the pure car sales total.
From his wording, it certainly seems like he's talking about CY11 YTD sales, doesn't it? And it's not like this is an old column.

So he's basically just wrong.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Open letter to Fortune's senior editor:

You're an idiot. They say reading is fundamental, but math is the only universal language. Thank you again for showing the world why the US is falling quickly behind. and its not a surprise given whom linked the article in the first place.

·
Banned
8,271 Posts
I've got to say the guy is right about certain issues. Nissan basically only sells Altimas and the only Infinitis we see on the road are Gs.

·
Registered
22,303 Posts
I've got to say the guy is right about certain issues. Nissan basically only sells Altimas and the only Infinitis we see on the road are Gs.
The Altima and G are both old and outdated. The Jetta just came out.
The Jetta has always been the VW volume seller. Nothing else even comes close to being a chart topper unless we are getting picky and counting the high priced Q7 against a Lexus GX.

You should turn in your license because the Versa, Rogue, and Sentra have been moderate to segment busters in the recent past.

·
Banned
8,271 Posts
The Jetta has always been the VW volume seller. Nothing else even comes close to being a chart topper unless we are getting picky and counting the high priced Q7 against a Lexus GX.
The Q7 and GX are basically priced the same. The Q7 actually starts at a cheaper price...

We do have to remember why Nissan is selling so many recently. They have been quite aggressive in incentives right now and lease specials.

·
Registered
22,303 Posts
We do have to remember why Nissan is selling so many recently. They have been quite aggressive in incentives right now and lease specials.
As much as you hate Nissan/Infiniti this isn't any different than when the Malibu/Fusion/Sentra/Whomever takes the top spot on a chart. Incentives drive sales.

·
Registered
5,849 Posts
The article contradicts itself in some measure: you are over reliant on this and that model, but I'm going to criticize your plan to introduce a bunch of new models.

·
Registered
44,818 Posts
I disagree with this article in particular, but I've long felt that Nissan's product strategy is riddled with redundancies and oddness. Why do they produce the Rogue, X-trail, and Qashqai all at once, filling the same need in markets that are not terribly different? Why do they produce a Micra AND a Versa? Why do the Cube and Juke coexist?

That combined with their incredibly odd styling decisions and questionable choices of market segments to waste money competing in - like the Murano convertible - leads me to think there there's way too many little independent fiefdoms in Nissan-land, none of them cooperating and none of them particularly answerable to a strong central leadership with a plan.

·
Registered
44,818 Posts
Oh, and what the hell IS Nissan, anyway? Are they a producer of cheap, minimally competitive appliances for the indifferent (Versa, Sentra, Altima)? Are they a producer of sporty, aggressive, extroverted performance cars (GT-R, Juke, Maxima, 370Z)? Are they an eco brand (Altima hybrid, Leaf)? What is Nissan's identity? Why should I care about them?

·
Banned
8,271 Posts
That combined with their incredibly odd styling decisions and questionable choices of market segments to waste money competing in - like the Murano convertible - leads me to think there there's way too many little independent fiefdoms in Nissan-land, none of them cooperating and none of them particularly answerable to a strong central leadership with a plan.
I think you're correct sir.

Nissan's current product portfolio is quite all over the place. Why do they need to stupid Murano convertible?

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
Oh, and what the hell IS Nissan, anyway? Are they a producer of cheap, minimally competitive appliances for the indifferent (Versa, Sentra, Altima)? Are they a producer of sporty, aggressive, extroverted performance cars (GT-R, Juke, Maxima, 370Z)? Are they an eco brand (Altima hybrid, Leaf)? What is Nissan's identity? Why should I care about them?
Because once in awhile they hit a home run and it's nice to see. True they throw too many things at the wall to see which sticks but they are a risk taking manufacturer and I like that. Honda for example has gotten too safe.

I think it's dumb that the article writer is criticizing Ghosn for aiming high. Heaven forbid a company should be ambitious. Complaints about quality are mostly valid though.

Nissan was taking on the Germans with the original Z and the 510 long before Toyota and Honda even entertained such a notion.

·
Registered
'14 Boxster S, '18 Mazda 3
7,280 Posts
Do they need a singular identity?

I think the breadth of their portfolio will only be an asset, although your comments criticizing their global model redundancies and lack of cooperation are spot on. Focusing on the value segment at the low end (Sentra, mega-cheap Versa and to a lesser extent, Altima), having more desirable, sporty cars as the price of entry escalates, all while appearing environmentally conscious/motivated with the Leaf would function wonderfully if Nissan works intently on pushing that three-tier approach (i.e. not depleting R&D resources on something as outlandishly stupid as the Murano 'vert).

·
Registered
2013 Infiniti G37x Coupe, 2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring
22,182 Posts
I disagree with this article in particular, but I've long felt that Nissan's product strategy is riddled with redundancies and oddness. Why do they produce the Rogue, X-trail, and Qashqai all at once, filling the same need in markets that are not terribly different? Why do they produce a Micra AND a Versa? Why do the Cube and Juke coexist?
Rogue, X-Trail, Qashqai: IIRC, the Rogue and Qashqai are essentially the same vehicle (the Rogue is larger). Why they restyled it they way they did, I don't know. The X-trail is more offroad oriented and we already have the Xterra to fill that role.

Micra and Versa: These models are now converging. The 2012 Versa Sedan is the Micra Sedan.

Cube and Juke: It's like asking why the Cooper and Countryman exist. I don't see how they're similar to the point of being interchangable.

Oh come on, what ever happened to the pioneering spirit? :p I'll freely admit the Murano CC was a...strange way to express it but you can't say it doesn't get people talking.

Oh, and what the hell IS Nissan, anyway? Are they a producer of cheap, minimally competitive appliances for the indifferent (Versa, Sentra, Altima)? Are they a producer of sporty, aggressive, extroverted performance cars (GT-R, Juke, Maxima, 370Z)? Are they an eco brand (Altima hybrid, Leaf)?
They can't appeal to various audiences? Filling a single niche is not advisible for a brand competing in the mainstream. They're a bit more conservative in market segments that respond better to that and more "out there" in market segments that don't require a "safe" image.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts