VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well hey to all people on the 'tex. I found a 1984 GTI for $1900 canadian (about 1250 american) The description is: "Runs well, new brakes, AM/FM cassette, no rust, clean interior, sunroof, brand new Blizzaks MZ02. 195-60-R14." But it does not show the mileage. Even if the mileage is high, do you people still think it's a good deal?

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Re: Found a GTI. Should I buy it?? (coolpower19)

welp, can't really tell till you actually go look at it, people tend to exagerate the truth when trying to sell a car. looks pretty decent from the pic though.

·
Registered
854 Posts

only if the body is in solid condition, then sounds like a good deal.
blizzaks won't last to long in this weather

·
Registered
11,729 Posts
Re: (Rusty2029)

Quote, originally posted by Rusty2029 »
FWIW: Check the price on http://www.nadaguides.com but I would say that for that price it better be in top condition.

I don't think NADA or KBB represents what people will actually pay for a GTI. However, it can be a good bargaining tool. Look at the car first. Mechanical stuff is cheap, rust is expensive.

·
Registered
Multiple Mazdas
7,220 Posts
Re:

If it really does have no rust then it's worth the price...but check very carefully, some people consider "no rust" to simply mean "at least you can't see through the body panels". I think most of us have gone to look at a "no rust" car at one point or another and found rust on the car

·
Registered
1,388 Posts

Did some GTI'S not have the dual rounds? If the car is not rusty, it seems like a fair starting price.

·
Registered
9,369 Posts
Re: Found a GTI. Should I buy it?? (kervin)

sounds a little expensive to me. I've seen some GTI's go around T.O. for $1K

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Re: Found a GTI. Should I buy it?? (LilBlkCL)

check for rust at the front and rear strut mounts, the points where the rear beam mounts to the body, on the cowel (between the bottom of the windshield and the hood), floors, etc. you don't want rust on anything that can't be unbolted from the car and replaced like a door or fender.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Re: Found a GTI. Should I buy it?? (kervin)

Quote, originally posted by kervin »
Did some GTI'S not have the dual rounds? If the car is not rusty, it seems like a fair starting price.

erm, what GTI *did* have rounds?

·
Banned
1,092 Posts
Re: Found a GTI. Should I buy it?? (chizor)

87 and up

The price is alright I guess, I bought my jetta for 900 and it was perfect condition when i bought it, new paint, new transmissin,cvs,oil pump, no rust, new exuast...

·
Registered
6,941 Posts

Quote, originally posted by chizor »

non-North American GTIs as well....

·
Registered
17,915 Posts
Re: Found a GTI. Should I buy it?? (PDX Cabby)

this is the car in the auto trader...well, if its still available then check it out...check the mk1 FAQ in this forum to see where to look, if you don't already know.
IMNSHO if it is truely a rust free (or as close to it as Toronto cars come) and it is complete and in good working order than BUY IT!
These cars are always beat and rusty up here...if you find a nice one buy it and make sure you're first stop is to the nearest Krown rust control location.
Mechanically these cars are so simple that if anything goes it can be swapped out in no time and replaced with a piece from a later golf, jetta or scirocco. Only caveat other than the body is the fuel system, if the tank is leaking then you're in for some fun times and if you can't do the work yourself, some expensive times.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Re: Found a GTI. Should I buy it?? (cabriodude2000)

I got mine from a guy that was in a little rougher shape than that for $650 CDN. You're getting ripped off if you pay anything more than $1500 but only if everything is at least stock. My interior was kind of wrecked - just the drivers seat basically. There were small things but all you can do it go and check it out yourself.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts

Quote, originally posted by chizor »

canadian spec 79-80 gti's. btw in BC 83-4 gti's are in the paper for 2-3 thousand all the time. if its in good shape then 1900 is not so bad.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts