VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled the knee bar off my dash this afternoon for something non-fuse box related, and found what you see below. There is a 30Amp fuse in the upper left corner (as you look at the panel in its stock orientation)....the fuse seems to be intact, but the clip, and all the plastic around it seems to be melted.......can anyone tell me what this fuse does/is?

This is on a 91 Jetta GL with a 1.6l diesel, I couldn't find this fuse listed on the knee panel sheet, I am wondering if it is for my glow plugs?

Also, can anyone tell me what that connector with the 4 wire connection is for? brown, blue/white, blue, and black wires?

· Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not sure, the car is pulled apart right now, the fuse is still intact though, the casing is melted, and the plastic portion of the fuse is a little melted, but the metal portion of the fuse seems fine and intact.......any ideas?

· Registered
10,253 Posts
Connector is the test connection for cruise control. Fuse is probably for AC and radiator fan. Does your AC work?
That was the rad fan fuse in my B3. If it melted like that, your rad fan was probably drawing too much power.

· Registered
778 Posts
I've got the same problem! Went to start my helios today(despite the cold start issue; work in progress) and the motor would hardly turn over. Jumped it and didn't make a difference, battery still had no power almost like I wasn't even jumping it. Then I get a little puff of smoke from the clamshell area on the column so I start pulling everything apart and I find this:

I'm still in the middle of tearing everything apart, just wondering if there was ever a resolution to the problem here. Any help would be GREAT.

· Registered
778 Posts
That would make sense since I lost the 4th speed on the fan a couple of nights ago. I'm assuming that by pulling the a/c relay I'd no longer have air conditioning?

It'd be nice to know what cause it to melt. Who's to say it won't happen again. Wouldn't be load reduction relay issue would it?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.