1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 Jetta GLS 2.0 5-speed
20,100 original miles
One owner and garage stored for the past 10 years

Spoke to the old man and he said he pulls it out twice per month to let it run. Been doing that for the past 10 years. 5w40 oil. Not sure about the rest of the fluids being touched. Probably going to look at it in the next day or two. He is asking $6500. Certain the timing kit would need to be replaced. Leather interior. Been through several Jetta's (MK4's). I never liked parked cars/trucks for extended times

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
I’m going through one right now for my oldest kid. Check the LCA bushings you can see. This one wasn’t garage kept and they’re dry rotted. Not a hard swap to do, but something to look at.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m going through one right now for my oldest kid. Check the LCA bushings you can see. This one wasn’t garage kept and they’re dry rotted. Not a hard swap to do, but something to look at.
Will do, but the 10 years sitting and not leaving the driveway has me worried especially with the fluids in general (oil, coolant, brake, power steering) and gas in tank

Also, I would have to change the timing belt to right?

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Will do, but the 10 years sitting and not leaving the driveway has me worried especially with the fluids in general (oil, coolant, brake, power steering) and gas in tank

Also, I would have to change the timing belt to right?
True. If he’s actually been running it monthly the engine oil should be in decent shape. Or at least enough to drive away. The other fluids should be good enough to change at your convenience I would think.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Went to see it. It has the AEG. Mint condition thru and thru, but only services were oil changes. Tires are shot. Rotors/pads need replaced. Timing kit needs to be done. All fluids need to be changed. He was asking $6400 and told me the least he would take is $5k. I offered him $4500, but he said no. I would have to put at least $1500 into it too. I'm passing

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
It is what it is. Someone may pick it up later. Did you make sure he’s kept your number to call later on when it doesn’t sell?

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Yes...even if I get it for 4500, I will probably end up at 6500 when all is said and done
Yep. But it’ll basically be a NOS car.

Tires, timing/serpentine belts, fluids, possibly suspension bushings.... Anything else?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.